New Book: The Battle of Midway: The Naval Institute Guide to the U.S. Navy's Greatest Victory

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

witpqs

New Book: The Battle of Midway: The Naval Institute Guide to the U.S. Navy's Greatest Victory

Post by witpqs »

Here is the link to the review.
The Battle of Midway: The Naval Institute Guide to the U.S. Navy's Greatest Victory

And the review text.
The Battle of Midway: The Naval Institute Guide to the U.S. Navy's Greatest Victory, by Thomas C. Hone, editor

Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 2013. Pp. xx, 360. Illus., maps, appends, notes, biblio, index. $28.95. ISBN: 1612511260.

A Multi-Faceted Look at Midway

Noted naval historian Hone brings together over 50 documents that help throw light on the decisive carrier battle off Midway in June of 1942. These documents include orders, after-action-reports, journal articles, reviews, and excerpts from histories, memoirs, oral testimony, and biographies, and more. They are by both American and Japanese authors, and include many items by participants in the events.

Hone groups these eight sections. The first deals with the overall background to the battle, which is followed by one on concentration of forces. Three sections directly deal with the battle, covering the actual fighting and the after-action reports. There follows a section with items about the various commanders, one on code breaking, and a final one titled “Assessments of the Battle.”

Taken together, these constitute, not a history of the battle, but a multi-faceted look at it. The selections are from both sides and several levels of participation, often covering the same event or subject from different perspectives. The range from items composed at the time, and thus often highly inaccurate, to the most recent scholarship on the battle. This is an immensely valuable work for anyone interested in the Pacific War.
Jorge_Stanbury

RE: New Book: The Battle of Midway: The Naval Institute Guide to the U.S. Navy's Greatest Victory

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

For me the question is how would this compare to Shattered Sword.
Or in other words there's very little left to cover about Midway after that book.

I would love to read it from a Japanese perspective, although this is almost impossible due to so many, or better said most key players not surviving ww2
warspite1

RE: New Book: The Battle of Midway: The Naval Institute Guide to the U.S. Navy's Greatest Victory

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

For me the question is how would this compare to Shattered Sword.
Or in other words there's very little left to cover about Midway after that book.

I would love to read it from a Japanese perspective, although this is almost impossible due to so many, or better said most key players not surviving ww2
warspite1

I thought Shattered Sword was viewed from a Japanese perspective - or at least it relied upon a lot of Japanese primary sources.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

True, it is likely the most we can get from a Japanese perspective
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

If it links the work done in Shattered Sword to that of the American side then it MIGHT be interesting...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
spence

Post by spence »

The USNI has 23 books concerning the Battle of Midway for sale. I could spend several months allowance there.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

But I think that Shattered Sword did set a very high bar for a "fresh look" at Midway. A comparison to Shattered Sword would be of interest. If this work does go into the background of the US side, then it too might bring new information to the table. The trouble with USNI books is that they are so expensive!
msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

But I think that Shattered Sword did set a very high bar for a "fresh look" at Midway. A comparison to Shattered Sword would be of interest. If this work does go into the background of the US side, then it too might bring new information to the table. The trouble with USNI books is that they are so expensive!

From the description, it appears to be an anthology of previously published material, so it's not likely there's anything new. It could be valuable for bringing a variety of viewpoints into a single volume.
-- Mark Sieving
mikkey

Post by mikkey »

interesting book, thanks for sharing witpqs

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”