W7 Display Issue

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Curtis Lemay

RE: W7 Display Issue

Post by Curtis Lemay »

I recall having the same problem. I just know I don't have it anymore. I'm guessing it was the switch from Internet Explorer to Chrome that ended it, but I can't remember for sure. Are you still using Internet Explorer? If so, I'd switch to Chrome.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
Not sure if this is a W7 issue or again something with my display settings, but when I post it runs the sentences on and on across one line instead of wrapping. So again, just wondering if anyone knows how to get it to wrap properly.
I'm running W7 and I've got the same problem. I just gauge by my Mark 1 eyeball what seems to be the right
edge of the post and hit "enter" to end the sentence there and continue on the next line down. But it's been
this way for me reguardless of which operating system I used. Maybe there's something on your profile
page to do something about this.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Yes, still using IE, but with W7 I had to get a later version than what I was using before. I didn't think of that. I had another issue with this version of IE, the viewing of pdf's always prompted an annoying pop-up. Sleuthing thru google revealed that this was some dopey IE security feature that couldn't be turned off, so I switched to Firefox. No issues there with pdf's.

So I just now switched to Firefox for Matrix and voila, the wrapping works normally.

Thanks Bob, and thanks Mr. Fulkerson for the suggestion. And thanks IE, for nothing but aggravation with the new and improved version.
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

One thing noone supposed is to drag the taskbar to the right or left edge of the screen. Right click on the task bar, uncheck the fixed option, then left click + hold the mousebutton down on the taskbar and move it to the left or right edge of the screen, then release the mousebutton.

(Screenshot is at 1920x1080 px)

Attachments
Unbenannt.jpg
Unbenannt.jpg (196.78 KiB) Viewed 299 times
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Well, we tried that in posts 8, 9 and 10, with the not so good result shown in post 11. But you are correct that by moving the taskbar to the side after making the setting change, now the circle of stars has returned. Thank you [&o]

Attachments
jpeg9.jpg
jpeg9.jpg (98.47 KiB) Viewed 299 times
Sertorius1

Post by Sertorius1 »

Steve,

This is what I have now after experimenting. Like you, I have the stars showing and the
number, nine. On the other hand the map microview panel is way too small.

Attachments
9 stars.jpg
9 stars.jpg (134.77 KiB) Viewed 306 times
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

I switched to 1368x768 and the circle is there, and the taskbar auto-hides, but the units are so small [compared to post #1]. I might be able to get used to it. Doubt it.

Windows Magnifier. It's in the Windows Ease of Access folder.

Attachments
ScreenHunt..0722.14.jpg
ScreenHunt..0722.14.jpg (116.99 KiB) Viewed 299 times
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

On the other hand the map microview panel is way too small.

In your screenshot, you have a scenario with a small map, so it will be small in the mini-map. Or did you mean that it was small, and now it is too small ?
Sertorius1

Post by Sertorius1 »

Hello, Steve,

I was referring to the mini map. Looking at a couple other scenarios that makes sense about a small scenario equals

a small mini map. The mini map in that scenario that I never paid attention to for obvious reasons, it was only with

this latest upgrade that I noticed it.

The number of stars is what gets me. In the screen shot you posted where you have more stars than the ten you're

supposed to have I count 18, that same as what I have now.

I'll tell you what I did after trying the ideas presented. I removed the game from this computer and the other one

with XP on it and reinstalled the game on both computers. I had to do it again for the XP computer because I had

installed this latest patch, 3.4.19 and got the result I have now. Instead, this time I patched the game on both

computers with the previous patch, 34.302. Of course the view looked the way it is supposed to on the XP computer

while it looks as your screen shot and mind for the Windows 7. For the display for Windows 7 I have 1024 X 768. This

is tolerable despite the enlargement across the board or global (I believe is the correct word) effect it has on the

rest of the computer in terms of view. The units look correct, however, the stars are gone. Also note that Elmer is

turned off. In the opart 3 text file I put these values in for x and y. There is no change from the original setting

to the new one. On the other hand checking the box for the auto hide brings back the stars, nine.

As for the 3.4.19 patch I'll hold off on that until this is figured out because with that one I noted you have to

option to either hit the green button or the one for XP, neither that worked for me the way they are supposed to.

It would seem that I, too, have a "special computer".

That reminds me. What do you think of Windows 10? Is it worth fooling with and does it mess with the printer?

Thanks for the reply.

Attachments
Windows7.jpg
Windows7.jpg (161.31 KiB) Viewed 299 times
Sertorius1

Post by Sertorius1 »

Yes, Lobster.

The screenshot with the 18 stars is what I get with certain settings in the display. What I might have to get use to until this is figure out is using the "huge" view. When I enable that feature the units almost look normal.

Nine star screen shot.
Attachments
9 stars.jpg
9 stars.jpg (134.77 KiB) Viewed 302 times
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I have 1024 X 768. This

is tolerable despite the enlargement across the board or global (I believe is the correct word) effect it has on the
rest of the computer in terms of view.

If you change the X and Y values in the Opart.ini file, then only TOAW is affected, your comp will stay at 1280 [or whatever you have it set to].
What do you think of Windows 10? Is it worth fooling with and does it mess with the printer?

I have no experience with W8 or W10.

Try changing the one above the X and Y setting to 'Y', this allows TOAW to change the resolution independent of the main computer setting.

Attachments
Beta147.jpg
Beta147.jpg (4.26 KiB) Viewed 300 times
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

I went from Windows 7 to 10 on my desktop. 10 works fine with everything except when I hook up my tv to my computer. I get no sound through my tv speakers so I have to run the sound through my desktop speakers which is ok. But all computers are not created equal. MS does give you an easy way to move back to the previous version of Windows if you don't like 10. But I've found that 10 is almost like still having 7 except for a few odds and ends that take getting used to.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Sertorius1

Post by Sertorius1 »

Thanks, Steve.

I placed all the Windows 7 back to the default settings.

The settings are ChangeScreenResolution=Y
ScreenY=768
ScreenX=1024

The task bar is checked in the auto hide mode and the PO turned off.

This is what I came up with.

Just to see what would happened I tried the screen settings as they were originally in opart 3 file. ScreenX 800, ScreenY 600. That made the display too big.

I believe I'm going to have to play around the settings and see if I can come up with a customized setting for it.
==============

Thanks to you as well, Lobster.

I may give that a shot. As things stand I'm still trying figure out Windows 7, having used XP for the last 12 years. This computer is three years old but for me this is new, top of the line equipment.
================ ;)
Attachments
Florina2.jpg
Florina2.jpg (187.77 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Porphyrogen

W7 Display Issue

Post by Porphyrogen »

I have trouble to start game after what seems to be normal installation of TOAW 3 with latest patch 3419
PC specifications: intel core i7 / 2x geforce 970 / windows 7 ultimate SP1 / 64bits / enough HD, RAM memo, drivers etc.

Game can be activated from start menu or directly via opart3.exe but I just get black window (titled as it should be and so one) without any activity, music, buttons ... black, running in backround but without options to procede to main screen and beyond.

I tried all compatibility modes with no results. Any sugestions ? Thanx
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Porphyrogen

I have trouble to start game after what seems to be normal installation of TOAW 3 with latest patch 3419
PC specifications: intel core i7 / 2x geforce 970 / windows 7 ultimate SP1 / 64bits / enough HD, RAM memo, drivers etc.

Game can be activated from start menu or directly via opart3.exe but I just get black window (titled as it should be and so one) without any activity, music, buttons ... black, running in backround but without options to procede to main screen and beyond.

I tried all compatibility modes with no results. Any sugestions ? Thanx

The patch is not stand-alone. You must have TOAW III installed. Then you install the patch over that.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Porphyrogen

Post by Porphyrogen »

Sure, first I installed TOAW3 and after that patch 3418. Iam in computing and gaming since 1984, I know that :)

I will try with older patch from 2011. Thanx my friend.

This is frustrating ... 'what else το say and not to drop a tear' as south EU folk wisdom would say
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

What is your TOAW3 version number?

Maybe a video problem playing at the start? Do you get the start videos?

Try this. Open Opart3.ini in Notepad. It is in the Operational Art of War folder. Go to the line that says 'nointro=N' and change it to 'nointro=Y' then try to start the game. This will bypass all of the annoying start videos and you don't have to hear the terrible thing they call music. Let us know if this works.

Also, try reinstall of the game. DO NOT apply patches. See if the game starts without patches.

Porphyrogen

Post by Porphyrogen »

Thanks for advices, I will try that.
Version of the game is 32xx (before patches from 2011 and 2015 - ver 3.4xx and something)
Reinstalled few times but in vain. Tried to start it without applying of the patches but without (positive) results.
I'll experiment more regarding this problem tomorrow ... Tx once again
Porphyrogen

Post by Porphyrogen »

I love this game so much. Played it from even before 'Century of Warfare' I guess 16-17 years ago.

If I can not fix it, well f-it ! I'll wait for TOAW 4 then
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

I remember many many years ago, the one before COW, I had a problem starting the game and had to disable the videos. So I don't know, just trying to think of stuff, lol. It is a problem that is just related to your machine. I think I saw a post about someone who could not run it on their PC or their notebook, Win7 and Win10. Was that you?

I had some problems running a Battlefront Combat Mission game. Shock Force I think. I ended up installing the game in the C:/Users/<computer name>/AppData/Local directory. It worked there but no place else. Kinda crazy stuff even with the more user friendly stuff we have now.

Return to “TOAW III Support”