VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod for DW:Universe

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Tophat1815

RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod for DW:Universe

Post by Tophat1815 »

I really hate those guys! Been there,got zapped and am printing T-shirts! Really wish i hadn't been picking on the Romulans before I was hit by these stinking pirates.
Knickers

Post by Knickers »

Species 8472 offered me a protection agreement, and they honored it for a while until they discovered my spying missions toward them. (I am stealing their supertechnology.)

They are now enemies, but they seem to have their hands full with the Kazon and have not bothered me yet.

EDIT: Now they are attacking me, but I my technology is ready to handle their attacks, they destroyed a mining station and as I rallied ships to attack their base, I noticed a couple of my frigates break off with the mission to attack "scheming sleuth", which they followed through hyperspace but was unidentified by me. Following a hunch, I calculated the trajectory of the targeted ship, and sent two fleets of 24 ships each to the intended target, waiting to intercept and wipe out Species 8472. My hunch was correct, and I managed to take out 3 of their ships before they escaped. I lost one ship in the conflict. We are following in pursuit.
Knickers

Post by Knickers »

Holy Crap! I destroyed the 8472 fortress and recieved a load of tech!
ravincravin

Post by ravincravin »

Knickers, the sweet smell of success! [:D]

The game can't fairly beat you half to death without giving you a carrot. Right?

Be careful because I've had the legendary pirates reappear (in the old as well as a new pirate gang) in prior games of mine.

Good luck.

Attachments
DWSignature.jpg
DWSignature.jpg (88.77 KiB) Viewed 495 times
ravincravin

Post by ravincravin »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

ORIGINAL: ravincravin

You're lucky so far the Species 8472 hasn't found you! Unless you can get some research under your belt, they can be devastating.

Awww CRAP! [:(]

About to get my butt handed to me on a fluidic platter! Damn...

AAH, ehsumrell1, poetic justice has found you. Species 8472, thou are a heartless bitch! [:D]

Attachments
DWSignature.jpg
Unreal2004

Post by Unreal2004 »

Good luck and enjoy!! Hope they didnt camp too close to your homeworld ;)
ravincravin

Post by ravincravin »

I'd like to clarify one of my earlier posts concerning the construction of carriers. I indicated the following:
Troop Transport - Transport Systems (high tech research screen)
Carriers - Star Fighters (weapons research screen)
Resupply Ships - Accelerated Construction (energy research screen)

Fighter bays can be constructed at bases once you have star fighters researched. They wouldn't be very effective until you research interceptors, Missile fighter and/or bombers. Carriers require additional research. It isn't well documented in the game what is required, whether it be hull size or a specific research item. In the default game (no mod), I needed to research both star fighters and rapid assembly (energy section) to be able to build carriers.

My feeling is that the game requires a certain minimum hull size as opposed to a specific research item. In this mod, I was able to build carriers prior to researching rapid assembly (of course you still need star fighters). You may not see carriers show up in you design screen because I think certain races give you an advantage with respect to hull size. If you don't see it, try to design a carrier yourself. It will tell you in the design screen that you cannot build that class of ship if you don't have the requirements. It doesn't cost you anything to try.

If anyone else can shed some additional light on this subject matter, give us a post.

Enjoy! Live long & prosper.

Attachments
DWSignature.jpg
Knickers

Post by Knickers »

I've developed an interesting strategy, after war with the Kazon I captured a couple of their planets that I am now using as buffers between my more valuable resources and the pirates, if Species 8472 attacks anywhere, they attack these two low populated Kazon buffer states, and I can set up fleets to trap them without consequence that way.
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

Just curious knickers,what race are you playing? seems a very romulan thing to do...[:D]
Knickers

Post by Knickers »

The Federation haha, it seems so out of character I know.
Flamingeye

Post by Flamingeye »

Hi Guys

Nervous first post so take it easy on me. [;)]

Firstly let me add to the cacophony of applause and deserved praise to the dev team for creating this exciting and immersive mod ... well done and thanks [&o]

I am playing the Federation in a customised standard game ... the only modification is adding Das's mod (which i tweeked to re-include the original tricorder icons for galactic messages)

Btw .. It was Das who introduced me to this game via his playthroughs on youtube.

Anyway ... i am conducting a systemised espionage assault on all the other races for their tech ... gotta love getting Disruptors early [:D]

Have noticed that there are at least 2 tech headings i have found which do not appear on the tech tree ...

Super Area Weapons which i am stealing from the Romulans and Super Beam Weapons from the Yyridians.

Am i blind or is this a small oversight which has been missed during the tedious proofing process?

I ask this cos after numerous successes in pilfering nothing is resolved.

Cheers
Knickers

Post by Knickers »

So now its year 2271 and since I stole technology from Species 8472 around 2260 I made Science Academys on many main colonies. FINALLY, they have born fruit, and I have received Paul Stubbs, the first Federation Scientist.
Knickers

Post by Knickers »

Oh yeah! Moving up every day!

http://prntscr.com/67doft

You can delete that post in which I complained about how useless I was against the Dominion.
Knickers

Post by Knickers »

The Caldonians were essentially just exterminated by the Klingons. Both the Klingons and Romulans have the reputation of Evil, the Cardassians are Diabolical, but they seem to be in the process of being wiped out by the Tholians, Ktarians, Son'a, and Andorians.
ravincravin

Post by ravincravin »

Hi Flamingeye - Thank you for the kind words about the mod.

Yeah, in my current game, I'm playing the Romulans and the disruptor family of weapons are awesome.

I'm a little confused because I don't see "Super Beam" or "Super Area Effect" in the default (no mod) game's research tech tree. In this mod, the beam weapon tech stream is:

Beam Weapons > Enhanced Beam Weapons > Efficient Blasters > Long Range Lasers > Advanced Laser Focusing > Advanced Beams > Beam Intensification > Beam Superflow

The area effects weapon tech stream is:

Area Weapons > Enhanced Area Weapons > Advanced Area Weapons > Devastating Area Effects > Optimized Blast Wave > Thalaron Radiation Theory (Reman only)

If your trying to steal these techs, the race you are trying to steal it from may not have researched that tech yet and, consequently it will not show up in their tech list. With respect to the Thalaron Radiation Theory tech, It should not show up because the Federation can't use it (Reman only).

I hope this sheds a little light on your question. If not, clarify your question a little more and I or someone from the Trek Team will be more than happy to try to help.

Enjoy. Live long and prosper.

Attachments
DWSignature.jpg
sykokurt

Post by sykokurt »

Hello, I would like to point out that this mod is fantastic and all, and that I am really thankful that this exists (because STO is getting boring, and I want a nice Star Trek experience, so why not DWU?), but I'm having a slight problem. Does anyone else get/have gotten an error that says "Cannot load file C:\[dir]\[file].png"? It has prevented me from being able to switch to the STPE 2.0 theme, and every time I boot up the game and go into Switch Theme, select the Star Trek theme, and then load, it sits there for a few minutes, and then gives me that error message. If it's a bug with the mod, then I guess I just found a bug [:D]; but, if it is not a bug, and it is fixable, do please tell me [:'(][&o][&o][&o][&o]
But otherwise, this mod looks AMAZE. I really want/kinda need to get back at the Romulans for something they did to me a long time ago in an old Star Trek game [;)].
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Hello sykokurt;

Check your inbox as I've responded to your PM. I'm betting you may have either a corrupted file
in your mod and need a mod reinstall, or you are having a issue due to a version 1.0 file intermixing
with a version 2.0 file of the same name. Not really sure, but usually, a new download and reinstall
fixes such errors.

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Flamingeye

Post by Flamingeye »

Thanks ravincravin for your swift response.

I'm a little confused because I don't see "Super Beam" or "Super Area Effect" in the default (no mod) game's research tech tree. In this mod, the beam weapon tech stream is:

Beam Weapons > Enhanced Beam Weapons > Efficient Blasters > Long Range Lasers > Advanced Laser Focusing > Advanced Beams > Beam Intensification > Beam Superflow

The area effects weapon tech stream is:

Area Weapons > Enhanced Area Weapons > Advanced Area Weapons > Devastating Area Effects > Optimized Blast Wave > Thalaron Radiation Theory (Reman only)
Yes exactly what i see ... however when i assign a spy to steal technology the Super Area Weapons and Super Beam Weapons options come up from the Romulans and Yyridians respectively. I assume that since these come up as a valid stealing option then the races must have researched them.
If your trying to steal these techs, the race you are trying to steal it from may not have researched that tech yet and, consequently it will not show up in their tech list. With respect to the Thalaron Radiation Theory tech, It should not show up because the Federation can't use it (Reman only).
hmmmm ... this is not the case as I stole that tech as soon as i met a race who had it (Romulans i think) and quickly fitted that tech into all future ship designs.
I hope this sheds a little light on your question. If not, clarify your question a little more and I or someone from the Trek Team will be more than happy to try to help.
I should point out that i am NOT playing the predesigned scenario which may be the reason that i can retrofit technology specific to another race.

cheers
ravincravin

Post by ravincravin »

Hi Flamingeye, with respect to the Thalaron Radiation Theory, I stand corrected. Evidently the Reman are the only one that can research this tech. I guess that doesn't inhibit spies from stealing the tech and your race from utilizing it.

I loaded several old games and indeed saw the steal research options "Super Area Weapons" and "Super Beam Weapons". I sent spies and successfully stole them but in checking the research screen it showed no effect. Since I don't see these techs in either the mod or the default games, I suspect this is a Distant Worlds Universe bug. I guess you should use the rule of thumb "if you don't see it on your research screen, don't waste your time trying to steal it". This item requires further research and I will inform ehsumrell1 of it.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and good gaming.

Enjoy, live long and prosper.

Attachments
DWSignature.jpg
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: ravincravin

Hi Flamingeye, with respect to the Thalaron Radiation Theory, I stand corrected. Evidently the Reman are the only one that can research this tech. I guess that doesn't inhibit spies from stealing the tech and your race from utilizing it.

I loaded several old games and indeed saw the steal research options "Super Area Weapons" and "Super Beam Weapons". I sent spies and successfully stole them but in checking the research screen it showed no effect. Since I don't see these techs in either the mod or the default games, I suspect this is a Distant Worlds Universe bug. I guess you should use the rule of thumb "if you don't see it on your research screen, don't waste your time trying to steal it". This item requires further research and I will inform ehsumrell1 of it.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and good gaming.

Enjoy, live long and prosper.
@ravincravin:
I didn't tell, or expose ALL of my game related mod dynamics to you or all of the team. Would have
taken too much time away from you guys testing and development. But it's just fine. I like seeing
the 'surprised' posts you all make on occasion (I didn't know he did THAT!).
[:D]

@Flamingeye:
Everything is working as designed. There are just some things either misunderstood or not known (some
things that I know inadvertently was not always told to my Trek Team members)

First, remember that I planned the mod to be adaptable to play all of the DW playstyles. Thus, many of
the ideas, tech pathing (seen AND unseen), game dynamics, etcetera are in the mod. The Superweapons are
among those issues. It is very easy to call something you don't understand the methodology of a "bug".
But that's okay and as Lead Developer, ofttimes it's my job to inform all of my team those unknown things in the game
that make it work so well. But if I did that, the mod would still not be released!
As ravincravin so eloquently stated in a previous post, there are a "million" things going on in the mod!

The Superweapons were introduced to the game by Elliot in Universe update 1.9.4.12. They were expanded
and enhanced in Universe update 1.9.5.7. To explain, I'll just quote my developer notes.

"- added new super weapon types, allowing different types of planet destroyer weapons: in addition to the default super beam weapons can now also have super torpedos, super missiles, super rail guns, super phasers. Any of these can be set to be planet destroying weapons"

"- AI no longer auto-researching superweapons (unseen on tech tree) in default theme (techs above level 100 are now hidden)"

These two items were an integral part in maintaining playstyle adaptability for all the other DW facets and dynamics. Mostly used in the 'non-canon' DW gameplay, and with the Shakturi storyline active, the
AI can research the aforementioned superweapons and draft a new ship design (Planet Destroyer) to use them. Whereas the player, although can not see the superweapons tech (unseen in the tech tree, remember?)
in the storyline can either a.) discover the superweapons tech via exploring and scanning the appropriate, specific ruin that contains it, or b.) steal the tech using espionage, or c.) Board and
capture a ship containing a superweapon (Very difficult, but can be done! Imagine it as trying to
board and capture the Reman Warbird Scimitar.)

Hope that clears things up for all! It's just a tiny part of things in both DW (that Elliot put in) and
in the Picard Era mod (that I put in due to being privy to things as a Beta Test team member). There are
many more 'surprises' as you get deeper into the game! I'm going back to bed now...

[>:]

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

Return to “Design and Modding”