WitPTracker AE Release 1.11 Available!

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

witpqs

RE: Tracker Question

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Omnius

witpqs,
Sorry I mistook this thread for the one for the latest public beta. Oops. Thanks for the info on the latest public beta being more solid than the last official update. I'm trying to figure out what Tracker is and if it's worth trying out. It looks like some kind of database or spreadsheet interface/maker. Do you need any other programs to operate with Tracker or will it run independently?

One weakness of the Ops Reports is that it doesn't show us construction completion of items like fortification levels. If many are constructed on one turn it can be quite a challenge to remember them all. Does Tracker track these kind of turn based reports that don't end up in the Ops Reports? That would probably be the only use I'd want for Tracker.

Omnius
Tracker is a wonderful play aid. The Alerts page in Tracker is, all by itself worth its weight in gold.

Tracker requires 32-bit Java 6. Look back in this Tracker thread for screen pics on where to find it and how to install it. The guys might have copied that to the tracker web site but I'm not sure.

Java has moved beyond version 7 and is now on version 8. They will, for security reasons, try (offer) to uninstall Java 6 if they find it on your system. You have to install it to get the files all broken out on your system, but you can then uninstall it and install the newer version. The key is to make sure - after you install Java 6 - that you make a copy of the Java 6 folder (the whole tree) and put it in a safe place. You can then point your .bat file that runs Tracker to that place so it finds the version of java that it needs. That has all been spelled out in the prior posts that you should find.
Omnius

Post by Omnius »

witpqs,
Since I don't do Jivea I won't bother with Tracker. I'll just keep track of things from inside the game. You didn't answer my most important question as to whether Tracker tracks messages we see as the turn progresses, like when and where fortification levels are reached, rather than what's only in the Ops or SigInt reports.

Omnius
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Only the game itself works during the turn. All of the various play aids help when you are giving orders. All but one of the play aids digest report files. Tracker is the exception, because the Tracker guys signed a non-disclosure agreement and got special permission, they read the save game itself. Obviously Tracker can also read report files.

Tracker's Alerts include things that can be seen in the report files (in a much more convenient format), and things that are not in the report files. Such as when an LCU that has been moving finally reaches its destination. That one alone saves a ton of extra player-mouse clicking (in my experience it works 99.5% of the time, missing one here and there). There are other examples.

Read the Tracker web site. Look at some AAR's and you will see various screen pics from and references to Tracker. It is obviously not required, but it is a great aid in a campaign game.

Hope that helps.

Alikchi2

Post by Alikchi2 »

Howdy! I'm having some difficulty getting Tracker working. I'm sure I've screwed up something obvious, but I can't figure it out.

Here is what I get running the bat after installation:

And here is my witptracker.properties contents:

Code: Select all

# WitPTracker AE properties file
 # Directory of the game
 Dir=[C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition]
 # Type of game. 0=AI, 1=PBEM
 GameType=[1]
 # Side you are playing. 0=Japan, 1=Allies
 Side=[0]
 # Password. Only needed for PBEM
 Password=[Sydney]
 # Name of the base save file
 SaveFile=[wpae011.pws]
 # Mode the program will look for save files.
 #   0 = just in the local folder
 #   1 = just in the game folder: [Dir]/SAVE
 #   2 = local and then if not found there, the game folder
 SaveMode=[2]
 # Text to put in the header of the main window
 Header=[wpae011]
 # Turn cycle (days per turn). 1 or 2 are supported
 TurnCycle=[1]

Any help would be very much appreciated.
floydg

Post by floydg »

ORIGINAL: Omnius

witpqs,
Since I don't do Jivea I won't bother with Tracker. I'll just keep track of things from inside the game. You didn't answer my most important question as to whether Tracker tracks messages we see as the turn progresses, like when and where fortification levels are reached, rather than what's only in the Ops or SigInt reports.

Omnius

The current release reads and saves the SigInt reports. The next release (whenever that happens) will read and save the Operations reports.
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg

Post by floydg »

ORIGINAL: Alikchi

Howdy! I'm having some difficulty getting Tracker working. I'm sure I've screwed up something obvious, but I can't figure it out.

Here is what I get running the bat after installation:

[...]

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Try copying the pwsdll.dll file from the Beta2 folder of the game on top of what comes with WitPTracker, remove the trackerdb files and then try running again.
Omnius

Thanks

Post by Omnius »

floydg,
Thanks for the answer on Tracker. While it looks helpful I wonder how much time one must spend outside of the game to read the Tracker info? I just made a production spreadsheet in my MacBookPro laptop to aid in aircraft & engine production and how many HI points those will consume. I may make a spreadsheet for each side to track some things and be able to consult spreadsheet at the same time I'm looking at the game screen.

Omnius
witpqs

RE: Thanks

Post by witpqs »

I use AE in windowed mode and easily switch back and forth between AE and other applications during the orders phase, such as: Tracker, Notepadd++ (text editor to view all four turn reports plus write the AAR post plus sometimes take notes), Intel Monkey, Libre Office spreadsheet application, Paint.net (to mark up screen pics taken with Greenshot), and sometimes others.
Koesj

RE: Thanks

Post by Koesj »

I'm having a problem with tracker only loading the odd-day turn in my 2 days a turn campaign against the AI. This started at T150 and has been continuing into T159 now.

The error reads something like "asigint_420505 contains only 1 day while the game is set to 2" or something, but I stupidly closed cmd.exe before I took notes. Looks like I can still manually load the textfiles into tracker though.

e: Looks like this was already reported a couple of pages ago
Fulton

RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0

Post by Fulton »

Is there a different place to download Java 6? Oracle requires an account and is no longer available to the public. :(
witpqs

RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Fulton

Is there a different place to download Java 6? Oracle requires an account and is no longer available to the public. :(
Look at the Tracker website, in particular at this page:
https://sites.google.com/site/witptracker/java6
Fulton

RE: Is this beta patch solid?

Post by Fulton »

Needed to create a new account on Oracle. Worked fine. I thought the accounts were for dev only. Thx
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I have no idea why you would need an account for that. Maybe some new, evil plot to take over the world? But I digress.
Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I have no idea why you would need an account for that. Maybe some new, evil plot to take over the world? But I digress.

Oracle is starting to get cranky about supporting old Java releases, to include Java 6:
Only developers and Enterprise administrators should download these releases.

Downloading these releases requires an oracle.com account. If you don't have an oracle.com account you can use the links on the top of this page to learn more about it and register for one for free.
floydg

Java 7 Status

Post by floydg »

All -

A little update on support for Java 7 (and Java 8).

Michael M was able to build a new pwsdll.dll file that didn't depend on Java 6 and my initial tests show that it works fine. I'll do some more testing, but it looks promising.

Floyd
BigDuke66

RE: Java 7 Status

Post by BigDuke66 »

A great news, good luck with that!
PzIV

RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available

Post by PzIV »

Hi there,

Tried to installthe tracker but no joy.......getting an the error below?
says there is an issue with the save (wpae005.pws).....this is a clean install of WitP AE.
Any guidance would be great as I love the WitP game but feel this is really hard to get my head round?

Windows 7 64bit

Also uninstalled and reinstalled on to C drive.

C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\WitPTracker AE Release 1.9.
2>"C:\jre6-Tracker\bin\java" -Xms384m -Xmx512m -jar "WitPTracker.jar" nomap
Initializing WitP Tracker AE database.
ERROR: Save game file "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\WitP
Tracker AE Release 1.9.2\wpae005.pws" could not be opened.
ERROR: Problem with save game file. Exiting.

C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\WitPTracker AE Release 1.9.
2>pause
Press any key to continue . . .
floydg

Post by floydg »

ORIGINAL: kate

Hi there,

Tried to installthe tracker but no joy.......getting an the error below?
says there is an issue with the save (wpae005.pws).....this is a clean install of WitP AE.
Any guidance would be great as I love the WitP game but feel this is really hard to get my head round?

Windows 7 64bit

Also uninstalled and reinstalled on to C drive.

2>"C:\jre6-Tracker\bin\java" -Xms384m -Xmx512m -jar "WitPTracker.jar" nomap
Initializing WitP Tracker AE database.
ERROR: Save game file "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\WitP
Tracker AE Release 1.9.2\wpae005.pws" could not be opened.

2>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

Simple question: is there a wpae005.pws file in this folder?
PzIV

Post by PzIV »

Cheers for rapid response.......
Simple answer........no.....I had the game all setup on a D: drive. Then I noticed the ERROR below with the path in bold

This is the path of the game before the uninstall and then re-install on to the C: drive D:\Games\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition

I've done a search for that save game.......just in case and nothing.....???

Tracker AE Release 1.9.2\wpae005.pws"
could not be opened.
floydg

Post by floydg »

Please read this carefully: https://sites.google.com/site/witptracker/set-up

You need to point the witptracker.properties to where the save files are.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”