Leaders and Allied Pilot Training in beta

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jb123

Leaders and Allied Pilot Training in beta

Post by jb123 »

Hello forum,

A few months into my latest PBEM, playing as allies. First time in the latest beta, my last PBEM was some earlier iteration of stock WITP AE. (I love the beta!) Some of this has contradictory info in the forum, so I figured I'd start my own thread. A few quick questions kind of revolving around leader skills:

1) CV TF Does air skill matter at all for task force commanders of CV TFs and as captains of my carriers? Or should I focus on naval and aggression? Navy commanders with high air skill have a note saying they are suited for Carrier command, is that true? (some of the guys with high air skills have lower naval and aggression skills, I think I want the best of my commanders leading the carriers)

2) Pilot training: some groups train pretty quickly, some do not. In general I try to have 2-3 high experience pilots in the group as my "mentors." I try to have the groups on big, well supplied rear-bases with Air HQs, and I set to 100% train, range 1. US has lancers, Mohawks, Texans, etc.

So, my question is, what is the skill I need in leaders to help training, what else can I do to speed training? How do you train your pilots?

Thanks, open to any and all comments.
spence

RE: Leaders and Allied Pilot Training in beta

Post by spence »

I think that a high Admin rating for the leaders of training squadrons may have a positive effect.
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

I use leadership first. For training leadership +inspiration. For combat: leadership, +Air, +aggression, +admin.

Just my own rule of thumb.....now where is my leaders 101.....
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

In general I try to have 2-3 high experience pilots in the group as my "mentors."

Not necessary.
For training leadership +inspiration.

I'm finding this to be the case.
now where is my leaders 101

Someone did one of these which I thought was excellent. Do a search. If you can't find it let me know and I'll run a check.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Leaders pdf. attached....GP

Can't upload for some reason.
PM and i'll send it to you....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

jmalter

Post by jmalter »

hi jb123, I agree w/ the advice posted by rustysi, & the info contained in the wwengr post linked by Encircled, tho I gather that its info is based on WITP, I've read that it pre-dates WITP:AE.

My experience has taught me a major factor for pilot training - within each group, keep the pilots' Experience differential as small as possible, & always fill out each group w/ the max possible # of pilots (133% of the group's max # of airframes).

In a Training airgroup w/ widely-varied pilot Exp levels, the pilots w/ less Exp always glom the majority of skill increase, while the pilots w/ higher Exp get less skill-training.

For example, if a Bomber group has 32 pilots w/ 30 GrdB skill, & half have 60 Exp & half have 30 Exp, after 1 month's training, the 30 Exp guys will have greatly improved their GrdB skill, but their 60 Exp mates will have made little improvement. But if I have 2 similar Bomber groups, I get better results if I transfer all the 60 Exp pilots to 1 group, & all the 30 Exp pilots the 2nd group. After 1 month's training, all pilots in each group will have significant skill improvement.

So I periodically click-fest thru my airgroups, seeking to transfer pilots to Reserve, then re-manning each group from Reserve pilots using the default ranking of Exp level to get best / least as req'd. My goal is to keep the pilot Exp differential at 5 or less.

While this can be an 'orrid click-fest, it'll be manageable if you make a monthly schedule. Say the 1st day of each month, you review your USArmy fighter groups, on the 2nd review USNavy DB/TB groups, the 3rd day you examine the Canadians.

Other notes from my experience:
- don't try to fill out training groups w/ airplanes, newbie pilots train well in groups w/ 4 planes, even if the group has 33 pilots & wants to fill out to 25 airframes. If a group's Exp gets into the high 40's, then toss them a few more planes.
- train pilots on 3rd-line aircraft, don't let training groups use your best planes.
-

Return to “The War Room”