Scenario Based on Randomly Generated Game

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

GaryChildress

Scenario Based on Randomly Generated Game

Post by GaryChildress »

Trying a new approach to a scenario I'm working on. I like to play against the AI and most of the WW2 ETO scenarios out there are for multiplayer only. So I'm trying to create an ETO scenario that can be played against the AI. What I did was generate a random scenario with about 6 regimes. Then I manually cleared the whole map and then painted a map of Europe over it. I also changed the names of the regimes to the appropriate ones for the scenario. Below is what I have so far.

I'm curious, do you think the AI will work with this new map and fight as well as the random scenario AI usually fights? Obviously I'll try it out and see if it does but I'm curious if this will be a wasted effort.

Thanks.

Attachments
ETOpreview1.gif
ETOpreview1.gif (399.62 KiB) Viewed 40 times
Josh

RE: Scenario Based on Randomly Generated Game

Post by Josh »

Nice idea Gary. No clue as to how it works out, only one way to find out is play the scenario orcourse [:D] It's a balancing act, as Germany ( I see a German setup here) you don't want to win the Poland campaign in two turns, and you don't want to get clobbered either [X(] sp yeah it's somewhere there in between. It's gonna be much harder once you incorporate France and the low countries, the more variables the harder it gets. Keep us informed please? Thx. [:)]
mgaffn1

Post by mgaffn1 »

Gary, I too have been working on a European theater of war scenario for some time now, and have seen a few things with the AI:
1) the longer you play, the AI has a tendency to overbuild units and underbuild supply. What I do is assign the AI regimes with some extra HQs and pile on the supply points. Think of these as "supply depots".
2) AI has been rather weak at defending major cities. You can create an event: if a German unit crosses or lands on a pre-defined hex (say, a two hex border around Paris), then an event is triggered that places extra "garrison" units in that city. I usually add 50-100 infantry + some anti-tank & machine guns. You can define them in the units menu in th editor.
3) another challenge will be that all the nations will be unrealistically agressive, with everybody declaring war very early in the game. You can adjust the AI agressiveness in the settings menu. You can also define some of the nations as "sleeping", then create an event that wakes them up - be it a hex becomes occupied by a certain regime, or simply "turn 9, Russia awakens.

The good news is that although it takes considerably more time, you can create a game with an AI that is at least as good as the random game, and via a few events (ie. "cheats"), make the AI better than random game AI. (still not a compelling as a human opponent, but fun for solitaire play, which I enjoy too)

good luck --
Mike
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Josh

Nice idea Gary. No clue as to how it works out, only one way to find out is play the scenario orcourse [:D] It's a balancing act, as Germany ( I see a German setup here) you don't want to win the Poland campaign in two turns, and you don't want to get clobbered either [X(] sp yeah it's somewhere there in between. It's gonna be much harder once you incorporate France and the low countries, the more variables the harder it gets. Keep us informed please? Thx. [:)]

Yeah. I've been looking at the historical OOB for the Poland campaign and was working off that so I guess I do have a LOT of German units so far. I suppose I should trim back to make the game more interesting. Right now as it stands I have each and every division that existed on 9/1/1939 represented in the game. I suppose I could make each counter represent a Corps instead of a division. [:o]

@mgaffn1: I have the AI set to where it will not declare war so this would be a scenario from the German perspective where the human player as German would need to declare war on Poland when he is ready to do so. Britain and France are allied with Poland so as soon as Germany declares war on Poland Britain and France will probably gang up.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”