SPWAW Can't Start Game

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

demyansk

SPWAW Can't Start Game

Post by demyansk »

I reformatted my disk on this older computer and have the XP of windows loaded. I donloaded all the versions of spwaw 8.20, 8.30, 8.40 and 8.40c and when I click on the beginning screen it comes up with a dialogue box saying microsoft encountered a problem. I hear the sound when I click on it but it doesn't go any further and the game crashes.

Am I mssing something that's not installed on the computer? I have direct x 9.0c, nvidia 6200 card and can't figure it out? Any help appreciated since it did work before I had to reformat this disk. I tried the mech shortcut and it still didnt work, hmm?
Major_Mess

RE: SPWAW Can't Start Game

Post by Major_Mess »

Hmmmm,

The only thing I could offer is to re-install the game .... but not using the default path.
If you partition your HD, the game seems to like being on a separate drive than the OS.

HTH

MM
Click below. You know you want to!!

demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Not sure of what the problem is. I even tried the win spww2 game and that didn't work either. I installed a HPS game and that worked. I was wondering if the Net framework has anything to do with it? I did a reinstall before and that didn't work. This is just a spare machine but I liked the way it displayed spwaw
Riitaoja

Post by Riitaoja »

Also you could try and Google "directx redist" and you should find a search result "Download DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)" from an official Microsoft site. Then download the "directx_Jun2010_redist.exe" about (95,6 Mb file) and install it. That should install all the nessesary DirectX files.

Also you can try and start the game directly from the file mech.exe in \Steel Panthers World at War\ -folder.

If there is still an error then there must be something wrong with your Windows XP installation. Make sure you have all the nessesary video/sound drivers installed and service pack updates. Windows XP Service pack 3 is the lates one.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I downloaded everything and it still doesn't work even by clicking on the mech icon. Not sure of what the problem is. I have the updated directx program and everything else, the only thing is the windows xp service pack 3? However, I wonder if I need to download that or is it done auto by the computer?
Riitaoja

Post by Riitaoja »

Microsoft dropped their support for Windows XP in April 2014. I have not used WinXP for two years so I don't know if the auto update still functions on it.

You can check if you have SP3 installed from the: control panel -> Preformance and maintenance -> System.
Or from the: start menu -> all programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information.

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”