How does Supply to Subordinate HQs Work?

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

GaryChildress

How does Supply to Subordinate HQs Work?

Post by GaryChildress »

So far in a random game I'm playing against AI I have all supplies going to my Supreme HQ and it seems to be trickling down to the subordinate HQs and the units under them. However, I'm not at war yet so I haven't put this method to the test yet. Ideally I'd like to have all industry go to my supreme HQ and then divvy resources out to the subordinate HQs from there. But is there any disadvantage to doing supply that way? Would it be better to have supply production go directly to subordinate HQs instead of going to the Supreme HQ first?

Thanks.
Twotribes

RE: How does Supply to Subordinate HQs Work?

Post by Twotribes »

A unit with excess supply requires horse trucks or such to move. A centrally located source of supply radiating out to the hinterlands is a better idea, just watch the range involved you may need to create intermediary hqs to funnel the supply. My usual set up is Supreme Hqs to Front Hqs to combat Hqs. In vanilla games the max number of hqs in a chain is 4. You can change that in the editor.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

What about newly produced subformations? Do you have them go to your supreme HQ also?
Josh

Post by Josh »

If I may chime in? What Twotribes is referring to is that it's easy to overload an HQ with masses of supplies, if you're collecting much more than you use up your HQ is limited to 1-2 hexes movement so then you'll need some sort of transport. Now that is not of much importance with your main SHQ, but when you want to do an amphibious invasion and you want to ship your battlegroup including your overbloated HQ you'll need some serious cargoships. So mainsupply usually goes to the SHQ. Sometimes though, on very large maps, your battlegroup can outrun your supplylines, meaning it gets less than it needs. In that case it can be handy to attach the production of one producing city to that HQ. Supplies and PP only I might add...because and I now come to your second question about newly produced SFT's. They never ever go (well scrap that *almost* never hehe) to your local HQ's, but only to the SHQ, or "supply depot HQ's". That's because of two main reasons. First newly produced troops are very very green, as in 10 experience [:(] They need time to get to the max of 40 exp. They get more in battle. The second reason being the fact that if you send your new stuff to a frontline HQ the staff coverage (which should be around 100% or there about) decreases drastically.

So in short supply goes to the SHQ and trickles down autmatically to the subordinate HQ's. There are some exceptions to that, espccially when supply lines get too stretched, in that case appoint a producing city to the HQ that needs the supply.
Newly produced stuff/units also go to the SHQ/supply HQ's, with some exceptions to that as well. Sometimes one of my frontline HQ's gets shot up bad so I need reinforcements yesterday, in that case I send new produeed stuff straight away to that HQ. In 1-2 turns I then get say 2 fresh armoured units with 10-15 exp. I then raise their exp/morale by taking on soft targets. For instance 6 Light Tanks III with 10-15 exp get 40-50 or more exp by attacking Rifle units easily.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Thanks for the tips Josh! My next question with subformations is how do you get them to the front line if your SHQ is way back in the rear? It seems that the only way to get them from the SHQ to the front is to create new formations containing them and march them forward or else transfer them by train.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

That is part of the balancing act. Make some of you cities do only supplies and PPs, and the rest assigned to produce troops and delivering them to the frontline HQs.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Josh

Post by Josh »

"...and march them forward..." Old school eh? Like the idea [;)] In al fairness I do that from time to time when my territory is small and by walking to the frontlines they will have gotten the 40Exp cap. Other than that it's old school trains, either via transport the whole new unit or strategically transporting units to a location. You'll need trains and a railroad connection for that though. One other way is use the strategic tranport via Trucks (or Halftracks) in your sending HQ, this one costs you oil though.

As Ernie says. it's a balancing act.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”