Low vs High Camera Recon Loadout

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Chuske

Low vs High Camera Recon Loadout

Post by Chuske »

Anyone know if the low camera (in game) has any benefits over high camera to offset the higher risk of flying lower?
The user formerly known as jonboym

WITP:AE - Useful Info for Beginners

WitW Tutorials

WitW Beta/Alpha Tester
Helpless

RE: Low vs High Camera Recon Loadout

Post by Helpless »

Low alt camera allows to stay below clouds level, i.e. it should be more accurate when weather is bad.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

Ha - all goes to show be careful what you assume. Having had really poor high level tactical recce, but OK strategic recce, I have assumed it is best to use low level for units and airfields and high level for industry. But now I realise I have not read anything to that effect in the rules.
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
warshipbuilder

Post by warshipbuilder »

12k over the Ruhr, that should be interesting[X(]
warshipbuilder

Any ship can be a minesweeper, once.
ED/BTR Ressurection Project
https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/
Balou

Post by Balou »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

Low alt camera allows to stay below clouds level, i.e. it should be more accurate when weather is bad.

Strat recon with low alt cameras possible?
“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

In the next Beta many strat recons have their low-alt cams replaced by a new med-alt cam (24k optimum alt). It was highly unusual for strat recons to dive down to take photos and climb back to their high operational altitude.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

Also, strat recon (in RL) usually likes the wider FOV. For unit or airfield recce you need indivual vehicles and aircraft to make sense of what is there, and oblique views are very useful. For strat recce, you generally want a picture of a whole site or suburb to make sense of the whole. This is a huge generalisation - the V weapons were explained by a single item (V2 on a launch pad), but to know what to destroy in a raid you need to understand the site as a whole (power stations, pumps, etc). The age old mistake in bombing industry is to hit the large impressive low value buildings... a warehouse might contain some raw materials or similar but knocking it out does nothing to output once they are replaced.

Like the 3rd camera. In conjucton with the altitude adjust for recce (+/- 12k) means you can set recce in the 24kft band and not have to micro manage it
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
cfulbright

Post by cfulbright »

12K RC get slaughtered, and I upgrade them to F-5C or F-6D as early as I can.
Cary

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”