Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.3 released 40 races

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

rch33z

RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.1 released 38 races

Post by rch33z »

ORIGINAL: el3ment
Now, I reinstalled DW some time ago. Patched it, moded sligtly (GEM with planets/overlay fixes, some sound effects, that's all), downloaded and unpacked Extended. Started playing as xhumans, all fine and dandy... Well, the problem occured when i finished building of the Large Space Port. What's the issue? Well, station's there, it's clickable, but... Invisible. There's no art for it! Thought it's a marginal thing, but after some time it started bothering me. So I checked other buildings, and sadly, only small version of Space Port was visible. Went to check /images/units/ships/family32 . All units are there, with correct names and so on. After giving it some thought I noticed, that the "invisible" units are the ones with 96dpi resolution. Didn't have time to check other races, but my guess is that situation's the same. I didn't notice this issue when playing vanilla, and in vanilla "family" folders are lots of units with 96 and even 200 dpi resolution. Anyone has any idea, how to fix this issue? (I know I can change resolution in /for example/ IrfanView, but finding every non 72dpi image would be time consuming. Plus it wouldn't be perfect, because compression will screw the quality and with the least compression, files would be much bigger than original ones...)

I have the same problem that several xhuman ships appear invisible in game, in the ship design window I can see faint shadows of them. Specifically the LSP, MSP, and research stations. Also, there seems so be a bunch of them in family31 as well judging by the ship graphics on the scroll menu.
Knickers

RE: Distant Worlds Extended

Post by Knickers »

I've been playing this mod as the humans and I have to say that it is much more unique and interesting then playing the normal game. I think one of the coolest aspects of this mod is the change of default designs for each race, I haven't touched the humans designs and they are researching a lot into specific areas much more then general areas, and this seems to be the same with other races, which in turn makes military encounters very interesting. I was at war with the Securans and they had developed carrier technology. We didn't have any true defense against their torpedo bombers so many of my ships died without a fight, and their ships didn't have much defense against my ships because our ships were able to chuck missiles at their ships and stay out of range of their weapons in every encounter. This clash of technologies and tactics is something that you would find if fighting an alien race in real life, and I thought it was awesome how it was added in this mod.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

That sounds like the AI Improvement Mod version of Extended.
tobi999

Post by tobi999 »

I have added to your 40 races 60 now it has races from 0 to 99 before I tried to add also ship models but it crashed, so its now just with your 40 ship models and 100 races! if somebody wants to down load it and add the ship models just ask I will send you the link, here I can´t post it nor the pictures of the races :(
NephilimNexus

RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.2 released 38 races

Post by NephilimNexus »

Could not load required image C:\Games\Distant Worlds Universe\images\units\races\race_40.png

Oh well... let me know when it's finished and I can play it.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: NephilimNexus
Could not load required image C:\Games\Distant Worlds Universe\images\units\races\race_40.png
Did you follow the installation instructions in the OP?

Specifically, the mod should be in installed in the Customisation folder i.e. NOT the folder you've listed. Then select Change Theme from the main menu and select this Mod.

There is no race_40.png in this Mod. It has 40 races, yes, but the numbering in the folder you have referenced starts at 0.
ORIGINAL: NephilimNexus
Oh well... let me know when it's finished and I can play it.

Dude, this is the most popular Mod there is for Distant Worlds. Many thousands of people play it without problems. I've played many games with it and never had a problem. Some of us have developed Mods using this as a base and never had a problem either. Personally I think the author deserves respect, and a lot of it, rather than snark.
MIC132

Post by MIC132 »

Does this work with 1.9.5.10 for anyone properly?

I can start a normal game fine, but I can't seem to start a pirate game, as it hangs on "Creating new Galaxy" infinitely. Any help?

EDIT: Scratch that. I can't start a pirate game even on default.. Any ideas what might be the cause?
EDIT2: Even better. It seems like I can't start a pirate game on 'some' settings, and I can on other (might have something to do with number of pirates? of course I didn't try to start a pirate game with no pirates, but with few apparently I can't)

EDIT3: Ok, so apparently those problems were on my side. Still, the tech tree changed, and while I tried to fix it by some copy-paste it caused some techs to overlap, making it impossible to research some of them. Could someone more experienced with editing tech files try to fix this?
JerichoRehl

Post by JerichoRehl »

I must apologize, but I can't get the modding guide to open on my computer for some reason.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to customize the galactopedia entries for these races (or the vanilla ones). I'd like to add some lines to them indicating with more clarity what their technology preferences are, but I simply can't figure it out. Anyone able to tell me really quick?
UnfriendlyBG

Post by UnfriendlyBG »

I saw some things in this thread about some races not being designed for human play? Is there a list of such a thing anywhere? I think the OP was edited since then and I couldnt find anything jumping around the thread. thanks.
MIC132

Post by MIC132 »

Any hopes for the tech tree/components fixes?
cdcool

RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.3 released 40 races

Post by cdcool »

Delete

If everything around you is blowing up..it's us
cdcool

Post by cdcool »

Delete

cdcool

Post by cdcool »

Anyone else seeing these three white dots?

cdcool

Post by cdcool »

Anyone else seeing these three white dots

Attachments
20150214_092132.jpg
20150214_092132.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 180 times
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

There seems to be an echo in here.

The three dots show that there is a ruin on the planet. The missing name is probably "clean galaxy" which is a choice in options when viewed from the Main Menu (so you have to exit to menu to find it).
cdcool

Post by cdcool »

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

There seems to be an echo in here.

The three dots show that there is a ruin on the planet. The missing name is probably "clean galaxy" which is a choice in options when viewed from the Main Menu (so you have to exit to menu to find it).

LOL..sorry about the three posts....tried to delete it.

Thank you for the explanation. What is that clean galaxy about?..I did select it in the game and nothing happened.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

It removes various names, grid lines - that kind of stuff. I guess it is a useful option for a hand crafted galaxy that one wants to gaze at in all its glory.

I would suggest you edit all but one of your image posts and uncheck the image and just write something like "delete" as text.
cdcool

Post by cdcool »

I did thanks
cdcool

Post by cdcool »

I'm not getting vector lines with this mod.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

The mod does nothing special about that kind of stuff. Disable clean galaxy and everything should be OK.

Return to “Design and Modding”