Units in Reserve

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Chris21wen

Units in Reserve

Post by Chris21wen »

I normally place units in reserve I hex behind the front lines. If I put front line units in reserve is there any benefits in doing so. I'm thinking mainly less fat and/or moral. Obviously if caught in an attack while in reserve status they might suffer higher losses but maybe they should also automatically turn too ready.

What about Refit?
morvael

RE: Units in Reserve

Post by morvael »

Units in reserve mode that are in contact with enemy will not trigger as reserves into combat. I think there are no other effects. I usually keep my frontline units in refit (unless I would have shortages of material). Doesn't help that much when they are in contact with enemy too, but if the enemy unit moves away during its turn, they will get the benefit during own logistics phase.
Huw Jones

Post by Huw Jones »

I keep the front line units in refit as well.

For morvael reasons stated above, plus under the presumption that if they are forced to retreat back, they will then be possibly refitted.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

So there are no adverse effects if a unit in refit or reserve is attacked? 
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Good question, Chris. Seems to me there should be.

One thought of "reserve" is that its more of "commanders" dispositions than anything else. If in "reserve" think troops & leaders would be somewhat relaxed. Similarly, for "refit," unit might be more involved with equipment, personnel, & material distributions. Both states (IMHO) would affect readiness.

Having said that, don't want to delay 2.0 except for bug fixing.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: rrbill

Good question, Chris. Seems to me there should be.

One thought of "reserve" is that its more of "commanders" dispositions than anything else. If in "reserve" think troops & leaders would be somewhat relaxed. Similarly, for "refit," unit might be more involved with equipment, personnel, & material distributions. Both states (IMHO) would affect readiness.

Having said that, don't want to delay 2.0 except for bug fixing.

My thoughts as well.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”