VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod for DW:Universe

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

TheSAguy

RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod for DW:Universe

Post by TheSAguy »

I'm playing the Scenario as the Borg and just wanted to say I'm having a blast!

I died about 4 times at the hands of the Romulans, before I got a game where I was as diplomatic as possible, giving them vast amounts of bribes until I got my tech up to defend myself.

Having a lot of fun, Thanks for your great work on this mod.

One Question, is return of the Shakturi part of the Scenario?
Aedaric

Post by Aedaric »

When it comes to the Empire Policy, what is "your" recommendation when it comes to upgrading your ships. Being a newcomer to the series, I finally am getting a grasp on many of the basic mechanics and realizing I typed Helium last night and not Hydrogen I feel like a dimwit, but alas it was very late for me and my empire was experiencing a drastic Helium shortage in building supplies.

So, what do you recommend when it comes to ship design upgrading?
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K - 4.9GHz
RAM: 32GB Dual-Channel DDR3 - 799MHz
MB: ASUSTeK Z87-PRO
GPU: 3GB NVIDIA GTX 780 Ti (EVGA)
HDD: 698GB Samsung SSD 840
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: TheSAguy

I'm playing the Scenario as the Borg and just wanted to say I'm having a blast!

I died about 4 times at the hands of the Romulans, before I got a game where I was as diplomatic as possible, giving them vast amounts of bribes until I got my tech up to defend myself.

Having a lot of fun, Thanks for your great work on this mod.

One Question, is return of the Shakturi part of the Scenario?

Glad you're enjoying the fruits of our labor TheSAguy!
The storyline in included in the scenario but the Shakturi and Mechanoids are not active.
I plan to have both options in the upcoming 700 star mappack I'm working on for future release
(PLEASE readers, no "when will it be ready" bombardments!)
[:D]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Aedaric

Post by Aedaric »

Out of curiousity, does anyone know if DW:U is set up to use more than 4 GB's of memory? I just received a crash error when the game was attempting to save with the first few lines being:

Distant Worlds could not save this game.

Error:

System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

And..yea, still have 240 Gb's free on the SSD as well as running a system with 32 GB's of RAM. [X(][X(]

The rest of the error literally was a wall of text that filled the entire screen and went off of the screen, to the point where I was unable to see or click on the "Okay, cancel." or whatever options were available to me. I could only click on the X in the top right. If anyone wants a screenshot of the error, PM me. I could also likely find the crash-dump if the game provides one.

This was the sixth time the game has crashed. = P
ravincravin

Post by ravincravin »

Aedaric - Here is the system specs I got off Steam:

System Requirements

Minimum:

Processor: Pentium 4 @1.5 GHz

Memory: 1 GB RAM

Graphics: minimum 1024 x 768 resolution, 32 bit

DirectX: Version 9.0c

Hard Drive: 1 GB available space

Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible

Additional Notes: Requires Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer

Recommended:

Processor: Dual Core CPU @ 2.0 GHz

Memory: 4 GB RAM

Graphics: minimum 1024 x 768 resolution, 32 bit

DirectX: Version 9.0c

Hard Drive: 1 GB available space

Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible

Additional Notes: Requires Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer

From appearances you surpass those specs. There is a crash dump file at:

Documents\My Games\Distant Worlds Universe

called DW CrashDump.txt. It only saves the most recent crash dump.

I don't think your problem is due to the mod. You might want to check this forum for "Out of Memory" crashes. I'm afraid this might be a problem for Elliot, the designer of DWU.

Attachments
DWSignature.jpg
DWSignature.jpg (91.58 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Aedaric

Post by Aedaric »

Oh, I don't think it's the mod either. But typically those of us who like to change and modify our games are more likely to have also changed other things as well. It's been so long since I've had to apply a patch to a game in order to allow it to use more than 4GB's of memory. The search of these forums was a bit weird pulling up discussions that told people to change their operating system and nonsense. The only other one similar never had any closure.

I'm certain my computer is above the "Recommended specs" for this game, I haven't bothered with minimum specs in over 10 years, = P These days it's waiting around for nVidia to get their arse in gear and update their drivers for their latest video cards.
ravincravin

Post by ravincravin »

Yeah it looks like you got a "Gamers Dream System".

I'm sorry I couldn't have been more help to you. I hope this isn't a constant problem and you are getting some saves to stick.

Personally I micromanage ship design and retrofits. My only help on ship design is to get a bigger stick faster then the bad guys. You might want to follow ehsumrell1's recommendation and set up you freighters to use caslon and your military to use Hydrogen. (see his post above)

Enjoy. Live long & prosper.

Attachments
DWSignature.jpg
DWSignature.jpg (85.38 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Aedaric

Post by Aedaric »

You and everyone else here have been great! Several saves have worked and it's likely just a memory leak in the program at an inordinate amount of gameplay or savegames--I save myself every 10 minutes or so and then the game also autosaves.

Grrr--Did you hard code in the inability to open trade with the Romulans?! Now why in the world would you do that! I've bribed them enough to buy out their entire assembly. lol

Loving the mod so far and thank you again.
ravincravin

Post by ravincravin »

Aedaric You're lucky to have a solid state drive because it takes me a long time to save my game. I wonder if your drive may be causing your save problems?

I don't know who you're playing but some races will not enter into a trade agreement with certain races. It's how ehsumrell1 coded in allegiances. He's the one that can shed more light on that topic. He should be checking in soon and I'm checking out for now.

Have fun.

Attachments
DWSignature.jpg
DWSignature.jpg (85.38 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Aedaric

Post by Aedaric »

Ahh, yea, sorry, forgot to mention playing as the Federation. And it makes sense having hard coded blocked trade situations.
dejagore

Post by dejagore »

Many thanks for the hard work to ehsumrell1 and the whole Trek Team. Just want to ask if there is included in the mod any sort of similar idea that Icemania did in AI Improvement Mod ? By that I mean any ship and base design templates that would help AI to be able to compete with Human.
ravincravin

Post by ravincravin »

Hi Ya dejagore,

There are many races in the mod with there own ship/base templates not to mention race specific research options. I'm sure they are beneficial to the AI to a certain degree. Due to the nature of AI it can never match the intelligence with a human. But rest assured it will give you a run for your money. Not to mention, ehsumrell1 has also coded in race specific events in the mod map scenario.

Enjoy, Live long & Prosper.

Attachments
DWSignature.jpg
DWSignature.jpg (88.77 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Nyku

Post by Nyku »

am I allowed to re-upload on uploaded.net once I finally got it finished with mediafire?
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Nyku

am I allowed to re-upload on uploaded.net once I finally got it finished with mediafire?
Hello Nyku;

As long as you remain responsible for the site's TOS (Terms Of Service) wherever you upload
our mod, I have no problem with it. Be aware though, that some sites will remove mods that
have copyrighted material in it, which our mod does. I have received the written permissions
I needed for both the copyrighted materials and the artistic credits used in our mod and I
have responsibility for those due to the mod being hosted on my personal business accounts.

It would be much better for you to just put up the forwarding link from MediaFire.

But if your intentions are to modify our theme in any way, then uploading it to 'wherever'
site, we would take issue with that.
[:-]
ravincravin

Post by ravincravin »

Nyku, you can download the Star Trek, the Picard Era mod as many times as you like on Mediafire. I don't understand what you are trying to upload or know what uploaded.net link is? Please clarify your post. NEVERMIND this post-ehsumrell1 beat me to the punch and answered your question.

tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Job well done, Ed, congratulations to you and your team.

I still say Luxuna Troi should be a weapon of Mass Destruction -- but I know you could not follow all of my suggestions. [:D]
Well done!
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

Job well done, Ed, congratulations to you and your team.

I still say Luxuna Troi should be a weapon of Mass Destruction -- but I know you could not follow all of my suggestions. [:D]
Well done!
Thanks for the kind words TJ! [&o]

I did consider your request, but Deanna would have gotten upset. Just FYI, I did tweak her stats as an
Ambassador though in honor of your suggestion.

By the way, as mentioned in the credits, thank you for all the early assistance and support you
gave Igard and I, 'in the beginning' of all this.
[:)]
Nyku

Post by Nyku »

To clarify: My intention was offering a second download ressource solely for convenience. My mediafire download took ages with speed ranging from 50kb/s to 200kb/s. My hope is, that the free downloading via uploaded.net is faster - or that people have an account to download it at the maximum speed their internet connection offers.

My download even errored a couple of times and stopped when done via browser and I had to use a download manager (jdownloader) to get it done.

It might be an issue of being in germany and downloading from wherever mediafire servers are located... nevertheless I wanted to offer uploading on a second source if ever anyone encounters the same problems.

If this is an issue of copyright I won't upload, because I don't want to be responsible for any misuse and/or copyright violation that's been done with files downloaded from my uploaded.net account. Unless, of course, a permission in this thread is enough to upload it safely. And that's why I asked in the first place.
ravincravin

Post by ravincravin »

Hi Nyku, what you are proposing is what Knickers did (see page 2 of this forum). Not only did ehsumrell1 allow that but was appreciative of it.

I can't speak for ehsumrell1, but I would expect he would not object to your efforts.

Enjoy, Live long & prosper.

Attachments
DWSignature.jpg
DWSignature.jpg (88.77 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Nyku

Post by Nyku »

Oh I'm sorry. I did not notice the post on page 2 despite skimming the thread.
Well I'm just gonna wait for an official answer and maybe upload this evening (it's 11:15am here ^^)

Return to “Design and Modding”