HELICOPTER ORDERS

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

ivanov

HELICOPTER ORDERS

Post by ivanov »

I've made some tests and it turns out, that regardless the order type ( assault, deliberate/hasty movement ), the helicopter units always move with an equal speed. So is there any difference between those orders? Does hasty or deliberate movement make any sense in case of the helos? It seems to me, that currently regardless the order, the helicopters always perform in the same way and the order types were just copied from the ground units. Wouldn't it make sense to have special types of orders designed just for the helicopters? Just from the top of my head: recon movement, overwatch movement, attack movement. Or maybe just overwatch/attack movement? They would impact the movement speed and the effectiveness of the helo weapon systems.
Lest we forget.
CapnDarwin

RE: HELICOPTER ORDERS

Post by CapnDarwin »

Katukov, I'm going to move this to the tech support area and generate a bug log for the movement speeds. There are different impacts to combat based on the cover state each order provides. There should be a difference in movement speed as well. Could you post your test scenario for us to use and look at?

Thanks.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin
Could you post your test scenario for us to use and look at?

Hopefully I will post some examples within next few hours. Unless my waypoints get corrupted [X(]
Lest we forget.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

No rush. We have noted the issue and added it to the 2.1 list to be addressed.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

Since you've already nailed it, I'm not going to post any screenshots but this issue can be easily replicated. In any given scenario, where you can deploy helicopters, place 3 units on the same hex, issue a different order to each unit and ask them to end the movement of the same hex again. Their estimated arrival time will be the same regardless the order type.
Lest we forget.
IronManBeta

Post by IronManBeta »

The speed thing basically traces back to a beta tester I had in the Flashpoint Germany days. He used to drive a Cobra for a living in Germany and he told me that they always tried to fly at a speed that was a multiple of 60 mph to make the timing calculations for flying specific distances as easy as possible to do in his head. I set the standard travelling speed for helicopters to 120 kph as the rough equivalent in the game context and haven't thought about it since. We can definitely play around with this in the next iteration of the game but any change now would require a lot of playtesting to make sure it worked with the rest of the existing game mechanics. Spotting and acquiring units moving that fast was an issue as I recall.

Take care, Rob C

Return to “Tech Support”