Upgrading Units Question

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

lwb10463

Upgrading Units Question

Post by lwb10463 »

I have a question about upgrade mode. When a technology becomes available at the beginning of a turn for a country’s units, are some techs automatically applied while others are not? For example, I notice when the box barb wire ability (not sure of the name) becomes available I immediately push the upgrade mode but none of the units are highlighted while when the infantry base defense is completed all the units light up and then are upgraded for pp points. A) Am I correct or am I missing something for the techs that I cannot do manually? and B) is there any indicator anywhere on the screen that states that this particular tech is automatically applied? Right now, as soon as the announcement is made at the beginning of a turn I am pushing the upgrade button and panning the whole map looking for units which is only a minor annoyance but it would be great to know if I didn’t have to bother.
I am new to forums so sorry if this is covered somewhere else but I didn’t see it anywhere.
Still...
It Moves...
terje439

RE: Upgrading Units Question

Post by terje439 »

1. Welcome to the forums
2. I have seen the same, so I assume you are correct, some upgrades seems to be "free".

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
operating

Post by operating »

In the tech picture, WIRE (in this case) you will see little red icons indicating what types of units benefit from that particular tech. Behind WIRE is PILLBOX then lastly CONCRETE DUGOUT, those 3 techs are the only 3 techs I can think of that are upgrade cost free, all others have upgrade costs, in all catergories of all tech trees.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
lwb10463

Post by lwb10463 »

Thanks for the replies guys!

So if my understanding is correct here I am right about the upgrade on the third box tech line (wire, pillbox etc) not requiring any additional action for its application to any eligible unit, while the rest of them do?

Thanks again for such a fast response.
Still...
It Moves...
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: lwb10463

Thanks for the replies guys!

So if my understanding is correct here I am right about the upgrade on the third box tech line (wire, pillbox etc) not requiring any additional action for its application to any eligible unit, while the rest of them do?

Thanks again for such a fast response.

The funny thing is: When you recon the other side, there is no way to know for sure what the entrenchment capability is of the units are? Durrr.... The entrenchment value of 2 and 3 are almost meaningless, for units may already be there (top elevated entrenchment) before entrenchment techs are developed. Durrr....
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest

Return to “Commander - The Great War”