Reconnaissance

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

Schweinewitz

Reconnaissance

Post by Schweinewitz »

Hello folks, I'm new to this fine game and still exploring the Eastern Front (spending more time studying the OOBs, HQ files, descriptions etc. than actually playing the game). Played the brilliant Unity of Command before and was looking for something more complex; seems like I've found the right thing. [;)]

I've got one or two questions regarding recon units in the game: I recently saw screenshots of DC Blitz with SdKfz 222 and 232, also recon planes. I'm surprised that in CB they're missing.
I also saw screens from Blitz with support units (MGs, mortars etc.), they're gone too. Is the reason the attempt to lower the total number of units in the large CB scenarios? And if so, how is reconnaissance incorporated (except for the HQ Recon Card and the recon flight feature)?
Schweinewitz

RE: Reconnaissance

Post by Schweinewitz »

(double post [:(])
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Not sure if I'm providing the full answer, but part of recon is incorporated into the 'stack' feature in the game, ie how many units one has adjacent to an enemy hex.

I believe the general rule is that if one has 200+ stacking points adjacent to an enemy hex, one can get 'fairly' good recon info. The stacking points for recon purposes is shown in the info bar at the top of the screen.

Vic

Post by Vic »

Air recon missions are by far the most effective way to increase your recon points.
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Schweinewitz

Post by Schweinewitz »

Thanks for the respones! Will surely gain more experience concerning this in the cause of time.

Vic, am I right with my assumption that the recon vehicles and planes were removed to lower the number of units in the game?
Urpå

Post by Urpå »

Bombing usually gets enough recon points to reveal all info on a hex, even on hardcore recon...
Wargame is the m*********ing answer!
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: von Schweinewitz

Thanks for the respones! Will surely gain more experience concerning this in the cause of time.

Vic, am I right with my assumption that the recon vehicles and planes were removed to lower the number of units in the game?

No... neither game has dedicated recon regiments as such. But I streamlined the number of trooptypes (like all the german halftracks) somewhat. And in general i felt that it was of no extra value to model recon subunits that well since each division would have them and there would be minimal differentiation.

I have been playing around with the idea of doing a lower level DC game after DC3 and if we would move to battalion scale it would make sense to me to have recon units. But at regimental with 10km/hex... mmm... I chose against it.

best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Schweinewitz

Post by Schweinewitz »

Thanks for the info, Vic, that makes sense. With or without the recons, I'm enjoying the game. And looking forward to your future projects!

Regards,

v. S.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”