Finally Got Around to Playing

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

sfbaytf

Finally Got Around to Playing

Post by sfbaytf »

I held off purchasing when this first came out. I bought a while back on sale and it sat on my hard disk unopened. I h played the original Harpoon back when it was a rules book and paper and pencil and dice affair. Played the computer version for years.

Been busy and playing other stuff and just never got around to this until a week ago. Have to say its very good once you get into it.Downloaded a few add ons and looking to try out more.

As mentioned in another thread, I'm pretty surprised at the lack of anti surface capability for the USN. Back when the Soviet Navy was the big bad wolf you be launching Harpoon and anti ship Tomahawks at enemy ships. I was playing the tutorial and looking for them.

Harpoon sure has grown up...
hellfish6

RE: Finally Got Around to Playing

Post by hellfish6 »

The US Fleet's offensive surface warfare is the carrier air wing now, for better or worse.
sfbaytf

Post by sfbaytf »

That just seems so odd. Like building a Fletcher Class DD with no 5 inch guns. I saw an Arleigh Burke at fleet week a while back and IIRC saw the Harpoon launchers on it. In any case I figured the VLS system would have dual purpose missiles inside.

I guess the Navy figures there are no or minimal surface threats to contend with or the Seahawks with Hellfires are adequate. Losing one or both would hurt as you would not only be losing your anti-surface capability, but also a good part of your ASW capability.

Maybe there is something I'm missing. Perhaps the cannon on the AB can fire shells 50+ miles with pinpoint accuracy and hit a moving target or they just never send them places without an aircraft carrier or air cover close by.
hellfish6

Post by hellfish6 »

Standard (SM-1/2) anti-aircraft missiles can be used in the anti-surface role (and were used this way in the Persian Gulf against Iran), but most Burke-class DDGs don't carry Harpoons anymore. I think only the Flight I and II variants have 8 x Harpoons, with the more numerous/modern Flight IIA having none at all. Today, most of the surface fleet is geared toward air defense/BMD and strike missions, with anti-ship missions the provenance of subs and aircraft (including the USAF - who are getting the first version of the new LRASM anti-ship missile before the Navy).
sfbaytf

Post by sfbaytf »

Perhaps the Chinese DF21-D may have something with the heavy focus on BMD at the expense of other weapon systems. I'm sure it has been played with and there is a scenario with it in it and an AB to defend against it.

I'm now curious to try it out.

Still with so many navies in possession of patrol craft and other small ships armed with SSM's you would think that it could potentially put an expensive DD at a disadvantage, but naval warfare has changed since the 80's and 90's.

I guess the Spruance and Perry class are phased out and being sold or scrapped. We'll never see the battleships reactivated either. They are permanent floating museums.

Just how much of a threat is the Chinese Navy? Has the Soviet Navy become any better or is it in the same decrepit state as it was after the Cold War ended? With all of the stuff going on in the Ukraine and talk about giving offensive arms like Javelins to the Ukraine it seems like there is some potential for tensions.
hellfish6

Post by hellfish6 »

I think the Navy's current mission set is a reflection of the current realities. We launch Tomahawks pretty frequently, so we've gotta have that capability. BMD is a big concern because 1. Funding - Congress is big on BMD (just look at the Missile Defense Agency), 2. there's a potential use for it (specifically Iran and North Korea - China less so, IMHO) and 3. No other country in the world can do either of them very well.

If anyone thought of China (or any other modern navy) as a clear and immediate threat you'd see a different force structure. But given that our current conflict (GWOT) occasionally requires TLAMs and our two most likely near-term opponents (Iran and North Korea) have large ballistic missile inventories, well, there you go.

All that being said, there's a significant movement in and out of the USN to re-offensivize our anti-ship capabilities.
sfbaytf

Post by sfbaytf »

Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

Reminds me about the decision to fly Phantoms over Vietnam with no cannons on board. How'd that work out? Just sayin'...

... And trolling. Carry on.

ORIGINAL: sfbaytf

As mentioned in another thread, I'm pretty surprised at the lack of anti surface capability for the USN. Back when the Soviet Navy was the big bad wolf you be launching Harpoon and anti ship Tomahawks at enemy ships. I was playing the tutorial and looking for them.

Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

ORIGINAL: Dale H
Reminds me about the decision to fly Phantoms over Vietnam with no cannons on board. How'd that work out? Just sayin'...

They had to wait years to get gun pods for those Phantoms, which were still not an ideal solution. A couple of days in port can see some Mk141 launchers put back on a DDG51, though. I actually mind the ASuW load of Burke these days less than the anemic ASuW 'payload' of the LCS, however.

sfbaytf

Post by sfbaytf »

[quote]ORIGINAL: Dale H

To be fair those were 1st gen missiles and, electronics and missile tech has made huge advances. Also the pilots were not trained in dissimilar ACM. There was a recent article about the gun on the new F35. I think it was the program manager who basically said it costs hundreds of million to get it to work and will probably never be used and the weight could be put to much better use, but the pilots insisted on it.

Sounds like for now the VLS Standards carried can be used as SSM if the need arises.
Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

Valid point, I guess. However sometimes people get so caught up with an idea in their zeal they tend to throw out the baby with the bath water. I'm no expert. Just seemed incredulous to me. There are a lot of people smarter than me thinking about these things but then again you know the old saw about military intelligence being an oxymoron...[:D]

Would really like more details about how the decision was made.

To be fair those were 1st gen missiles and, electronics and missile tech has made huge advances. Also the pilots were not trained in dissimilar ACM. There was a recent article about the gun on the new F35. I think it was the program manager who basically said it costs hundreds of million to get it to work and will probably never be used and the weight could be put to much better use, but the pilots insisted on it.

Sounds like for now the VLS Standards carried can be used as SSM if the need arises.
ExNusquam

Post by ExNusquam »

A couple of days in port can see some Mk141 launchers put back on a DDG51, though.

The DDG51 already has Harpoon capability, the Harpoons were only removed from the Flight IIA (DDG79+), and that was because the helicopter hangars redesign took up space that the Harpoons needed. While I'm sure that you could slap a few on in an emergency, you'd likely see loss of some other capability.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”