A Quick Preview of the What's New in 2.09 Update

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

CapnDarwin

A Quick Preview of the What's New in 2.09 Update

Post by CapnDarwin »

Here's a preview of all of the changes we are doing for the 2.09 update. This should help those of you looking to play test the 2.09 update. We should be posting that soon.

What's New in 2.09 Update

Comments welcome!

Thanks.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
mikmykWS

RE: A Quick Preview of the What's New in 2.09 Update

Post by mikmykWS »

Very nice!
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Thanks!

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Just did a minor clean up on the document. You may want to download again! [;)]

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

nice layout and easy and clear to read and understand, wish all were like it tbh, very well done and presented
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

We have been using the What's New doc since 2.4 to cover all of the additions and bug fixes in the game. The full document covers everything back to 2.04.

ivanov

Post by ivanov »

Looking good. It covers all the issues I've encountered. Regarding hitting off map arty units, does the code take under account the fact the batteries change positions now and then?
Lest we forget.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Yes, its a low chance to account for movement of assets. We also take the EW level into account as well.

ivanov

Post by ivanov »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

Yes, its a low chance to account for movement of assets. We also take the EW level into account as well.

+1

Great stuff!
Lest we forget.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Looking forward to seeing the tweaks to recon unit scoot. There should be reasonably different scoot parameters for both screen and hold orders for recon versus combat versus support units. Could you guys maybe provide a simple matrix showing the different criteria and chances? That might be helpful for everyone to better understand what's going on, and perhaps make any final suggestions. Before we hunker down for the long wait until unit SOP orders are implemented someday.

I'm wondering if the custom map divide (dived? [;)]) by zero issue was causing my reported lockup problem. I was playing with William's recently updated custom maps with grid lines, so that may be it. Whatever, maybe this will fix it and I won't have another lockup, which would be great. Thanks!
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

We are using Williams maps for everything now. I'm pretty sure the divide by zero was a function of having maps taller than wide and the math to deal with centering them was broken in that case.

Standoff ranges mixed with scooting is not a simple 10% for them 30 percent for those type simple matrix. there are element like that in scooting away from enemies but there are different triggers. One is taking losses, another is threat evaluation (more of them then us), and all of those factor in unit order, unit type, readiness, national values for risk and orders adherence. Like many thing in this system there is no easy pin down of this unit will always scoot 25% of the time when shot at. Just too many other elements that influence the decision. I could try to list out some general factors like basic order of likeliness to scoot based on order type and modifiers for unit types. That still doesn't paint the whole picture, but it might add color to the black box.

AbeSimpson

Post by AbeSimpson »

Will be there an update for the manual also? I want to print the manual, so perhaps waiting for a few more days could be helpfull... [:)]
I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers.
William Tecumseh Sherman
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Abe, we are not planning on doing any manual update for Red Storm. Just too much work involved to build a new one. That is why we have done the What's New documents and now the Compilation version. The manual gets you the basics and the What's New fills in the updates and new features. We do update the Quick Start Guide.

We will have a new OTS controlled manual for Southern Storm and plan on being able to update it as things go forward and post updated PDFs as we go.

AbeSimpson

Post by AbeSimpson »

Well, that's good enough for me. [:)]

I just don't want to print the whole thing over and over again. Printing the new
pages of the What's New document/ Compilation from time to time doesn't hurt
that much. [:D]
I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers.
William Tecumseh Sherman

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”