EF box advice/strategy

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

smokindave34

EF box advice/strategy

Post by smokindave34 »

I'm playing as axis and I'm trying to balance the east front box to maintain an appropriate support of the western theatre but at the same time not over using it in a non historical way. It seems appropriate to keep the Army Group/Army/Corps HQ at or above the "required" levels along with the division assigned to EF at or above the "required" level. My only concern here is that I start the grand campaign with 10+ divisions above the required level. That seems like a lot of troops to be sending west?

Any thoughts/advice on this? Maybe I should just aim to keep the frontline +/- 1 hex within the historical frontline? I'm not sure how well this is modeled.
marion61

RE: EF box advice/strategy

Post by marion61 »

The EF Box is a big advantage for the axis. In a MP game I wouldn't use it again, nor will I play with it on against me. It provides the axis with their pick of reinforcements whenever they need it, and the Russians don't press very hard. It's like facing two more armies in Europe for the WA player, and in Italy.
nedcorleone1

Post by nedcorleone1 »

ORIGINAL: meklore61

The EF Box is a big advantage for the axis. In a MP game I wouldn't use it again, nor will I play with it on against me. It provides the axis with their pick of reinforcements whenever they need it, and the Russians don't press very hard. It's like facing two more armies in Europe for the WA player, and in Italy.

But meklore61, you're so OP as the WA I think the Axis needs the handicap. Besides, don't you like the added challenge?
cmunson

Post by cmunson »

SmokinDave, some things to note, when you pull troops from the EF box it lowers the morale (thus CV) of units left behind. The required numbers are a hard floor, that does not mean the Russians will not advance faster than historical if you have net withdraws from EF. Pulling HQ's below required will have dramatic affects on EF CV. Finally, a weaker EF seems to result in more casualties according to my spreadsheet tracking and thus it sucks more manpower away from western front so the Axis player has more units in the west but they will be weaker.

I understand what Mekore61 is saying as the result of denuding the EF box creates a tougher fight for western Allies but the Russians will likely reach Berlin earlier in 1945. That is little consolation for some Allied players so fortunately EF box is an option. To me, the EF box enhances playing as Axis. Personally, I never take a unit out I don't replace and I regularly am 2-4 hexes ahead of historical on EF as I pump it up with some corps HQ's and extra air units (remember, even transports count towards the EF CV).

So, moving 10 divisions west creates a sugar high but there are consequences.
Chris
marion61

Post by marion61 »

I've never professed to be OP. Not sure why you would think that.[8D]
smokindave34

Post by smokindave34 »

The one counter argument I would make is that Pelton seems to be winning all his games as axis and he does not use the EF box. He seems to have plenty of troops to throw most allied invasions back into the sea (although this may be more a result of naval interdiction).
marion61

Post by marion61 »

I'm about to find out! I'll let you know how it goes.[;)]
smokindave34

Post by smokindave34 »

Good luck!
NotOneStepBack

Post by NotOneStepBack »

Soviets are about 13 hexes behind in my game against Meklore. I pulled from EF most of the game.
Nico165b165

Post by Nico165b165 »

Can axis AI use EF box ?
smokindave34

Post by smokindave34 »

ORIGINAL: NotOneStepBack

Soviets are about 13 hexes behind in my game against Meklore. I pulled from EF most of the game.

Have you dropped the number of divisions or HQ's below the "required" level?
cmunson

Post by cmunson »

Really, something odd there. By chance do you have a screen shot?
Chris
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

Nico, you can check the EF Box along with the Computer player - but I am not sure how much the AI really does with it.
Nico165b165

Post by Nico165b165 »

ORIGINAL: carlkay58

Nico, you can check the EF Box along with the Computer player - but I am not sure how much the AI really does with it.

Yes, that's what I did in my WA campaign, but I don't know what to expect. Nothing different so far (turn 10), no hordes of SS-panzer divisions counter attacking in Sicily.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”