play on Ipad or Tablet ?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

imberbe

play on Ipad or Tablet ?

Post by imberbe »

Hi, it is possible to install and play on this kind of systems?

thanks
"We have come to bring freedom and democracy, but if someone moves without my permission, we will execute him!"
nedcorleone1

RE: play on Ipad or Tablet ?

Post by nedcorleone1 »

I don't think so, no. This game requires the grunt work that only a PC can offer (storage, processing, etc.). You could host a game on your PC and perhaps use a tablet to play (via something like Splashtop) but trust me, it won't be worth it. You'd have a hard time reading anything let alone being able to click on stuff.
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

I have not done so but I believe a few people have installed and played on Windows 8 tablets. I can't imagine that a Surface Pro (or equivalent) would not be able to handle the program considering the other applications I have used on them.
marion61

Post by marion61 »

I can run mine just fine on a Surface Pro 3.
nedcorleone1

Post by nedcorleone1 »

Ah, yes the Surface Pros are computers, not tablets. ;) Should run on any sort of Windows machine if the proper hardware is available.
ryan1488

Post by ryan1488 »

I have the surface pro 3 with the i7, works ok if you don't mind the AI taking 10 minute turns
marion61

Post by marion61 »

That's true. I honestly still do use the computer for large games like this.
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

I tried it on my Asus tablet that work provided me and the game runs and runs quickly. But even using a stylus after about 10 minutes I get so much hand pain that it is not worth the effort.
Just way too many small touches required to do anything in the game that makes the effort on a tablet carpel tunnel inducing.
gmsitton

Post by gmsitton »

Be nice if the game were optimized for touch screen.
nedcorleone1

Post by nedcorleone1 »

ORIGINAL: gmsitton

Be nice if the game were optimized for touch screen.

I don't think you could optimize this game for a touch screen. The task would require a rebuild from the ground up I would imagine. There are just too many UI options to make this feasible in my opinion.
cmunson

Post by cmunson »

That's true. I honestly still do use the computer for large games like this.

Me too. I love my iPad but maybe I'm set in my ways or my eyes aren't what they used to be but I can't give up the large screen on my PC.
Chris
nedcorleone1

Post by nedcorleone1 »

The biggest problem is the screen. Screen real estate is valuable. Shrink the screen and you shrink the amount of functionality and information a game can display at once. It calls for a complete redesign meaning things will have to get 'layered'. The problem with layering is that it cam become a confusing, un-intuitive, complicated mess. Information we can easily see in one or two clicks may take 5-6 touches on the screen just to reach it. Navigation in the UI will become even more cumbersome than it already is. And this probably doesn't even begin to scratch the surface as to the challenges something like this would face.
gmsitton

Post by gmsitton »

I play on my laptop which has a touch screen. I'd like to be able to, say double tap on a unit, then tap its destination. I know that would be more difficult on my Surface with the smaller screen size, but it sure would be great to curl up in bed while playing.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”