research bug/question

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

zoommooz11

research bug/question

Post by zoommooz11 »

As I understand it, research station have two roles.

1. Ti actually do the research, according to your nations research potential.

And 2. To allocate research to the particular fields (weapon, energy etc) in accordance with the ratio of particular research station types that you build.

In the screen shot you can see that my stations are as follows weapons 120, energy 240, high-tech 240

Can some please explain then, why my total research capacity for all three is show as 245?

I understand why the actual output is different (bonuses) but shouldn't the capacity be based on the stations I have built?

Attachments
20150205_183506.jpg
20150205_183506.jpg (337.67 KiB) Viewed 144 times
Unforeseen

RE: research bug/question

Post by Unforeseen »

Ok it's a bit complicated. Basically your maximum total research output between all three categories is 713k. Since your output cannot be higher than your capacity it is re-calculated. The remainder is waste. tm.asp?m=2988238 This is an excellent explanation of how everything works regarding Research.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Weird. Did you try to restart the game (as in save, close, load)?

Is that spaceport damaged? Are there research labs anywhere else? Like on mines or other class not being spaceport or research station?

I would expect the TRC to be 120 - 240 - 240.
zoommooz11

Post by zoommooz11 »

Yes I understand how the excess works, but, the ratio between types should effect capacity.

I believe it is a bug, because I found an abandoned station with 90, 90, 90, which changed my capacity.

So, 245, 245, 245 became 245, 335, 335. For whatever reason the original stations labs are not showing correctly, but a new station 'corrected' it to so degree.

@Bing Yeah a reload didn't help, but I have been tweaking some research stuff, so I new game might be required.

Cheers to both of you.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

Nvm i didn't see your response untill i posted this.
charnowc182

Post by charnowc182 »

Out of curiosity, is your total population across all colonies particularly large? I've noticed similar things happen when my total population is huge. I suspect there is some 'base research' the game takes into account based on your population. It uses the higher of your total stations output vs the total base research (based on solely population). The 'base' research based on population is always distributed evenly on all 3 categories. This is why you can still research even with 0 stations. Again this is just from my observations. Try deleting your station, I bet you'll maintain the 245/245/245.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”