[FIXED B669] Not able to drop a contact

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

dusky

[FIXED B669] Not able to drop a contact

Post by dusky »

In the attached save I have a sub contact S101 Manthatisi. The contact "age" is 7 minutes 18 seconds. The contact report shows the last ESM detection was 14 minutes ago (yes, the sub did use a radar). However, when I drop the contact (PgDn) it almost immediately reappears. I would understand this if the sub was still being detected by some sensor. However, when the contact reappears its age is still 7+ minutes.
Attachments
contact.zip
(54.73 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
mikmykWS

RE: Not able to drop a contact

Post by mikmykWS »

We might have a time to drop coded in but would have to check.

Why is this important? Are you just curious or do think its a real game issue?

Thanks!

Mike
dusky

Post by dusky »

It is a real game issue, at lest for me :). I believed that the contact and its AOU is completely wrong - checking in the editor proves me right, the sub is actually 100nm away from the edge of the AOU. So, I wanted to drop the contact and wait for it to be reacquired.

Also, in an another scenario I saw a ship waste all its ASROCs on such an undroppable & extremely inaccurate contact (it was already marked as hostile). Yes, there are workaround, but none of them really works.
a) I can order the ship to hold fire, but then I need to remember to cancel the order when a bogey appears. But anyway, all the other ASW assets will still race to prosecute the contact. To demonstrate this, just mark the sub as hostile (in the save from the original post) -- the F 39 Betwa will switch to Engaged Offensive and will run in circles above the "bad" contact (while the sub is actually 100nm away).
b) I can mark it as friendly, but then I must remember to mark it back as hostile when it gets reacquired somewhere else.

What is then the indented function of the Drop Contact option (P, PgDn, Num 3) when it is not able to drop a contact that wasn't detected by any sensor for a long time? :) I left the scenario run, the contact is already 45 minutes old, F 39 Betwa is dancing in circles and I'm still not able to drop the contact.
dusky

Post by dusky »

Hmm. I just noticed that here fb.asp?m=3791709 you suggest exactly what I'm trying to do -- drop an old sub contact and wait for it to be reacquired. However, it does not work in this case. The old contact and the old AOU reappear immediately even though no sensor is currently detecting the sub.
mikkey

Post by mikkey »

ORIGINAL: dusky
It is a real game issue, at lest for me :). I believed that the contact and its AOU is completely wrong - checking in the editor proves me right, the sub is actually 100nm away from the edge of the AOU. So, I wanted to drop the contact and wait for it to be reacquired.
Also, in an another scenario I saw a ship waste all its ASROCs on such an undroppable & extremely inaccurate contact (it was already marked as hostile). Yes, there are workaround, but none of them really works.
a) I can order the ship to hold fire, but then I need to remember to cancel the order when a bogey appears. But anyway, all the other ASW assets will still race to prosecute the contact. To demonstrate this, just mark the sub as hostile (in the save from the original post) -- the F 39 Betwa will switch to Engaged Offensive and will run in circles above the "bad" contact (while the sub is actually 100nm away).
b) I can mark it as friendly, but then I must remember to mark it back as hostile when it gets reacquired somewhere else.
What is then the indented function of the Drop Contact option (P, PgDn, Num 3) when it is not able to drop a contact that wasn't detected by any sensor for a long time? :) I left the scenario run, the contact is already 45 minutes old, F 39 Betwa is dancing in circles and I'm still not able to drop the contact.
Dusan, new Weapon Release Authorization will be very helpful in these situations.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Ok. Thanks for explaining Dusan. We'll take a look.

Mike
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Okay, the problem here is that another side which is allied to the player side keeps detecting the same contact and sharing it with the player. So if the player side drops it from its own list it still gets it from the friend's plate.

Fixed in Build 669 by forcing all friendly sides to drop the same contact.
dusky

Post by dusky »

Hmm, interesting. However, I'm not sure how it applies to the save attached above.
The only friendly side are the Indian fishermen (awareness level: normal). The enemy submarine is ~75nm away, submerged at -131ft, making 2kts. My two frigates are not able to detect it, but the trawlers are somehow able to detect it with their Mk1 Eyeballs and navigation radars? Also, if a friendly side is detecting a contact, shouldn't the contact "age" reset as well? (It does not it this case.)
dusky

Post by dusky »

Or is this the case of the Indian frigates first sharing the contact with the fishermen and the fishermen then share it back without ever detecting the contact themselves? In that case it would make sense to force them to drop the contact.
Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 »

I believe it is indeed the latter. The contact has been shared with the fishermen so now they give it back, even though they dont actually see it.
My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

ORIGINAL: Sunburn

Okay, the problem here is that another side which is allied to the player side keeps detecting the same contact and sharing it with the player. So if the player side drops it from its own list it still gets it from the friend's plate.

Fixed in Build 669 by forcing all friendly sides to drop the same contact.

Got it. So if an ally has the same undetected and now-attenuating contact then we get it back due to our sensor sharing even if we had purged it. The fix would simultaneously purge dead contacts from allies as well to keep that from happening. Cool!
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: dusky

Hmm, interesting. However, I'm not sure how it applies to the save attached above.
The only friendly side are the Indian fishermen (awareness level: normal). The enemy submarine is ~75nm away, submerged at -131ft, making 2kts. My two frigates are not able to detect it, but the trawlers are somehow able to detect it with their Mk1 Eyeballs and navigation radars? Also, if a friendly side is detecting a contact, shouldn't the contact "age" reset as well? (It does not it this case.)

We're going to do an open beta cycle so there will be an opportunity to take a look and then fix if there is an issue.

Thanks

Mike
dusky

Post by dusky »

I can confirm that I'm able to drop the contact in 1.07RC5. Thanks.
The "Contact ... has been lost." message gets logged twice (I guess because it had to be dropped both by my side and the allied trawlers), but that's a very minor glitch.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Great news.

Thanks!

Mike

Return to “Tech Support”