1.08.01 criticism from a Russian wargamer

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Konrad_Novak

1.08.01 criticism from a Russian wargamer

Post by Konrad_Novak »

The message is from Saper from Russian wargaming community at war-game.org.

"1. There's a "1:1=2:1" rule for CV ratio, which favours USSR. Because of it, Axis player suffers big losses during retreat. Sure, you can replace infantry squads and infantry weapons, but replacement is not easy with AFVs (allies can forget about losses with their 6-point-industry). In practice, nobody wants to play Axis now, and the activity of players in Matrix forums has decreased sharply.

2. Developers tried to balance the game for the aforementioned rule and have increased Axis CV (while Soviet divisions have even less CV because of their small experience value). So, the latest games now finish even before the winter of 1941, because players (which waited for return of 2:1 CV ratio rule) can't build up their defenses. Increased time for fort building doesn't help either.

3. Developers tried to retune WitE supply system for a better compliance with WitW supply system. Now, while a player may have tons of supplies somewhere in Linz or Magnitogorsk, his frontline units have about 0-30% of supplies and 70-100% of ammo. Why was it necessary to change? Players were used to looking at truck pool and supply production - if their ratings were OK, then units would have almost 100% of supply. Also, if you make entrenching cost more supply, then you should insert an "entrench" button somewhere in the interface. Otherwise, I really don't understand how a player can control supply consumption, since entrenching is automatic.

4. Latest innovations of supply build-up - has there been anyone with whom the developers tested this properly? I haven't played as Axis player, but I think the game will finish in 15 turns. Before these innovations the picture had been somewhat clear - you made the supply difficult for Axis, you would lose a couple of divisions, but then you had one turn for rest and entrenchment. Now, however, an Axis player can do a supply build-up at the turn of advance, and can have 46-48 movement points even if Soviet player will hinder German supply lines. Also, Soviet divisions with good CV (3-8) are quite scarce and you can't afford losing a lot of them. Fresh divisions (CV 1-2) just can't do a thing and are totally worthless.

5. Air combat aspect of the game is still a mess. I don't know where the developers got their data about air production, but in reality, up to April 1943 the Axis usually had the advantage in air fighting or at the very least the sides were equal. In current version of WitE you can destroy Luftwaffe by the winter of 1941. To cure this, developers must severely lower the fatigue build-up of Axis pilots, then it won't be so easy for Soviets to bomb the hell out of their airbases. Currently, after 3-4 turns of intensive air combat and fatigue build-up (more than 40 points), Axis pilots begin to miss attacks on their airbases. With current ratings of aircraft production and impossibility of increasing the number of fighter airgroups (if you change CAS airgroups into fighter airgroups, they will be dead quickly) Axis army begins to suffer heavy losses from Soviet Il-2 (300-1000 men per sortie in 1942-1943, which is more than ground combat elements can inflict in the same battle).

6. Something was done for lowering Axis retreat losses in the winter of 1941. Previously, an Axis tank division was losing all of its AFVs, now it loses about 50-60 units. What makes me uneasy is that even with massed Soviet attacks (20-30 attacks per turn) almost all Axis losses are capped at 700-800 men, up to 30 artillery and about 30 AFVs. This, coupled with huge spread of CV, makes me think that something was done with the engine and formulas of the game.

7. Now, if you click the "choose the exact route of supply" button, you can choose the colour of units. The former is critical for sieges (for example, Siege of Leningrad), while the latter is unneeded.

8. The rule of field upgrade of weapons and equipment is quite controversial too. While playing as Soviets, I got hundreds of replaced 76-mm AA guns (they were removed from infantry divisions). Instead, the game keeps producing 85-mm. The engineers '39 are replaced by engineers '41 - why? The growth of Red Army is now slower (BTW, 85-mm AA guns fought in separate units - not in infantry divisions).

9. Interface. Well, it's my personal opinion of course, but before the latest patches I (as Axis player) always looked at what my industry was producing. Now, after the implementation of a detailed report, I stopped looking at it at all. It's too cumbersome and overloaded with unneeded information.

10. WitE was made after 10 years of developer group's efforts, latest patches are done by one man in 2-3 months. Before them, Matrix forums and Russian community had a lot of AARs. Now they have 3-6 AARs and even those are decreasing under the weight of bugs and errors. Too bad, it was an exceptional game".

Don't shoot the messenger :)
RedLancer

RE: 1.08.01 criticism from a Russian wargamer

Post by RedLancer »

I'll make the classic observation about causality and correlation. Is the forum quieter because of WitE changes or the release of WitW?

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

1) This has always been in but now you are able to change it upon game start.
2) AFAIR the CV value has always been rather low for the early soviet divs because of both low experience/morale or lack of proper heavy equipment.
3) There were a lot of problems in the supply system which had been fixed in 1.08 and some issues will again be fixed in 1.08.02.
4) He has abviously not properly tested the new HQ Buildup, in 1.08.02 there will be more fixes/restrictions to it. BTW the saper known here was also known to abuse HQ buildup from recently captured ports to achieve a lightning fast advance
5) Air combat had always been rather limited in WitE, not easy to improve without braking other stuff. aircraft production should be pretty historic for both sides.
7) Reminds me of a bug fixed in .01
8) The 76mm gun had always been replaced by the 85mm gun, just the upgrade speed seems faster now. Engineers are upgraded becasue the old version gets out of production pretty early and runs into scrapping. This actually saves armament points.

Seems the one complaining did not have all facts right although some complaints seem valid or have already been fixed (or or to be fixed in .02).

BTW 1.08 is still in Beta so all problems encountered while testing should actually be reported to the devs, not posted elsewhere in the net.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

1. WITE forums are quieter because of lack of interest, for whatever reason.
2. Sapper is right about HQBU, see "Oshawott" AAR early after .08 release.
3. Most comments about WITE problems are done for a constructive purpose.

4. I am playing .08.1 beta vs axis AI, the swamp hex next to the Lgrad backdoor is at 1 entrenchment, plus 10%, and has been for many turns, now t 9, high construction value units have been there since turn 1
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

From 1.08 changes:
39. Changed fort construction rules. Fort level 5 can be built only in cities with large port containing a fort unit. Fort level 4 can be built only in big cities (city, light urban or heavy urban terrain) or towns with port containing a fort unit. Fort level 3 can be built only in big cities, towns with port, in hexes with a fort unit or adjacent to an enemy. Fort level 2 can be built only next to a fort unit, in coastal zones or up to 3 hexes from a supplied enemy unit. Fort level 1 can be built only up to 20 hexes from a supplied enemy unit. In swamp terrain the fort cannot be larger than 2
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Denniss, my mistake on forts, had forgotten about the new rule. Other points still stand.

thx for responce.
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

The new fort rules are way to restrictive compared to how they were earlier.

Maybe they should have gone to size 2.5 and size 1.5 forts instead of 2 and 1. Also, the minimum hex length to enemy unit does not allow for proper set up of fort zones. Go to 40 or 50 hexes. The Germans can easily move tanks 30 hexes in 2 turns.

Or make forts a lot cheaper AP (like 1 ap) and combine this for the Russians with a much smaller gun component.

Limit on total number seems fair.

imo
morvael

Post by morvael »

Part of his criticisms are related to overall design of the game, and can't be changed. Part relate to things he and the patch team see differently, so they were not changed to his liking. Obvious bugs like the one with setting color overriding setting air supply range are fixed as soon as they are found and reported (though the delivery to players take time in the standard patching model). HQBU is still tweaked, as no one wants it to bee too powerful. .02 will be better than previous v8 incarnations, but it's still called beta. .01 is just an interation on the way.

However, I agree with Red Lancer, that most players have moved to WitW and that's understandable. What we're doing here is using defibrillator to keep WitE alive and interesting. Changes make the game more interesting due to removal of old exploits (that everyone knows and uses, which is becoming boring) and ineviteabe introduction of new exploits (as some changes have unforeseen consequences) that have to be discovered first, which changes the game on meta level. People who like to repeat the same moves every game (at least for the first few crucial turns) may feel unhappy with the changes. However, it levels playing field a bit for newcomers, as veterans have to adjust, and for a while everyone is (nearly) equal. All in all I think those changes bring more positive things than negative, while at the same time I can't wait to get my hands on Wite 2.0 :)
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Hi M,

.08.1 beta, Axis v Sov AI, turn 9 and no partisans have appeared, ???
morvael

Post by morvael »

I think its too early to see any active partisans at this time.
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

I am just a player, playing my first soviet campaign, so my opinion is worth what it is worth.

1. The same is true for the soviets they have big losses on retreat, and they retreat a lot, at least in 1941. Maybe it is normal i do not know. Germans do not get much retreats results in 1941-42, except during the first winter no?

4. About the fresh soviet divisions who are so called worthless i quite disagree. There are tons of them, and they get more powerful with time. Against the german AI at least, i did use them for good. I cannot say against an experienced player. One must use terrain, fortifications, defense in depth.

Michel.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

Patch 8.01 was great, german can doing big historikal poket entirely without reloads, but Saper like use reloads :)

Оnly what agrees with him - german air, it died to autumn 41 :(
darbycmcd

Post by darbycmcd »

I believe the current beta is a big step forward, but of course needs to be calibrated a bit.

1) HQBU is still too strong. I would be in favor of it going away altogether as I just don't think it has an historical basis given the way supply works in the game (but I know it won't go away... just dreaming [:(])

2) Forts are a problem. The distance restrictions I think are the issue, given the way German motor/mech units can advance, the Soviets need to be able to build up forts further from the front. Which is actually rather historical as well, they constructed large scale defensive positions at great depth some distance from the front (far more than 30 miles) in front of Moscow, Leningrad etc. The old system was more realistic and provided an opportunity for the Soviet player to defend. It is not true that they were unable to put up a fight in the Barbarossa period at the divisional level, but it is difficult in the game the way it is structured. These changes, in my opinion, were answering an unasked question.

3) Air combat, well I don't see these problems because I don't repeat bomb airbases. It is sort of like HQBU, if you are playing against someone who plays to find program derived advantages, well there are going to be problems. Better to find someone who wants to play more 'historically'.

In general though, I think the changes have been fantastic and the game has improved a great deal. The display issue with supply seems to have everyone freaked out, but has been explained so not something to worry about.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Unit bomb is blocked for used air groups (miles flown > 0). I don't know why it isn't so with airfield bomb. Could be changed, since some people can't restrain themselves. Too late for .02 though.
VigaBrand

Post by VigaBrand »

Air base bombing is 33% flight, because of the first turn. Maybe it is an option to change that, with exception of the first turn.
Most player used a houserule, that you can bomb a airbase only three time per turn.

micheljq

Post by micheljq »

ORIGINAL: beekeeper

Patch 8.01 was great, german can doing big historikal poket entirely without reloads, but Saper like use reloads :)

Оnly what agrees with him - german air, it died to autumn 41 :(
Hi beekeeper,

Do you find that the german AI is better and/or more agressive with this patch? at least in 1941?

Thank you, Michel.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

i never played with AI :)
von altair

Post by von altair »

Air War has never worked correctly in Wite. Those things are quite right in wargaming community statements. Soviets CAN destroy
Luftwaffe in a year. That is a damn stupid balance, I would say. Germans should be superior in East Front air, until late -43.
Equal between late 43-44 summer. Then Soviet Advantage from 44 summer.
"An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?"

"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?"

-Axel Oxenstierna
morvael

Post by morvael »

German aces were scoring hundreds of kills until the end of the war. But Luftwaffe as a whole could achieve local superiority over just a few places along thousands of kilometers of front at best, from early war. It was too small to offer more than that, meanwhile Soviet VVS was focused on giving ground support, not racking kills.
von altair

Post by von altair »

ORIGINAL: morvael

German aces were scoring hundreds of kills until the end of the war. But Luftwaffe as a whole could achieve local superiority over just a few places along thousands of kilometers of front at best, from early war. It was too small to offer more than that, meanwhile Soviet VVS was focused on giving ground support, not racking kills.

What this has to do with the problem that the game Air War is messed up? Does it explain horrible
balance between Germany and Russia? At -41 and -42 Soviet fighters did everything to avoid German
fighters. Few even refused to fly. Thats how much they feared German Airpower. Germany Dominated
skies everywhere where they showed up. Germans were superior all the way up to late -43. Thats when
two airforce started to be quite equal.

This is not about what they did. This is about badly designed air balance in 41-43.

In our lovely game Soviet can spam some absolete plane zerg and constant bomb German airfields. 4-8 bombing
runs in a single fighter airbase and it is wiped dry and clean. Wake up.
"An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?"

"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?"

-Axel Oxenstierna

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”