Youtube and the conflict in the Ukraine.

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Josh

Youtube and the conflict in the Ukraine.

Post by Josh »

Anyone know a good reliable Youtube channel for this conflict? I'm searching left and right, and most of them are in either russian or whatever they speak in the Ukrain, so I can't understand them. I watch the Vice channel as well but they haven't updated on that topic in a while. Youtube is a great source for info, but there's so much rubbish out there that you can spend an hour watching and not having seen anything.

Anyone?

Thx.

(no politics, you know forum rules and all [;)] )
wings7

RE: Youtube and the conflict in the Ukraine.

Post by wings7 »

I'm betting alot of the video of this conflict has been removed or compromised. [:(] In 10 years time we will probably see it all unfold online! [:)] (Hopefully sooner than that!)

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Keep looking by using the keyword Ukraine or War in Ukraine 2015, I seen a lot of them, but I didn't watch them.
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: Josh

Anyone know a good reliable Youtube channel for this conflict? I'm searching left and right, and most of them are in either russian or whatever they speak in the Ukrain, so I can't understand them. I watch the Vice channel as well but they haven't updated on that topic in a while. Youtube is a great source for info, but there's so much rubbish out there that you can spend an hour watching and not having seen anything.

Anyone?

Thx.

(no politics, you know forum rules and all [;)] )

A very superficial search gives lots of videos. As RisingSun, I didn't see them and don't think I will. But videos, you will find tons and tons of them.

The problem with your request is "good reliable Youtube channel". Reliable & Youtube. Contradiction in terms [:)] Yes, you will find I guess (I did not try as I am not interested) a lot of footage of combats in some remote parts of Ukraine (GoPros cameras anyone?). After all, that's what youtube is all about. But, if you want reliable information, I would stick to the serious press and then do some digging: some sites about geo-politcs etc etc.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
z1812

Post by z1812 »

There are some here that might interest you.

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/ ... m-ukraine/
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: z1812

There are some here that might interest you.

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/ ... m-ukraine/

Thx. I just remembered some time ago there was this thread on the Battlefront forums too, from the war in Syria, quite interesting to follow.

Problem with Youtube (beside all the comments, no moderators there [:(] ) is indeed a gazillion clips but no explanation, no story behind it, no names, no places, so there's no way to check the when-where-what of it.
So if you want to use the regular newschannels such as BBC/CNN/Journaal/Tagesschau or whatever, you get only five minutes covering your topic of interest. If you then decide you want more info and head for Youtube you get tons and tons of clips...but very little info of what's actually going on. Vice uses Youtube, BBC as well, so there is some quality to be found.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Yeah there are a lot of weirdo clips and only thing I know youtube is trying to do is remove copyrighted video/audio as well adult themes.
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

Vice TV has had some good reporting.

Being from Finland, thank you for those Leo 2s, they increace peace and stability better than any confrence.[;)]
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

I have to agree with Hyacinth, that Vice TV has had some good reporting. But lately the dispatches are few and far between.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: Hyacinth

Vice TV has had some good reporting.

Being from Finland, thank you for those Leo 2s, they increace peace and stability better than any confrence.[;)]

Sad to see them go. Feels a bit awkward having no more tanks around. [:(]
Then again we do get the awesome F-22 (or was it the F-35, I keep mixing them up). But I'm digressing here hehe.

Vice is a great channel and that Ostrofsky guy is doing a hell of a job there. Speaking of...they uploaded a new clip to the channel; things are heating up there; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LzEx03UQFI
bayonetbrant

Post by bayonetbrant »

lots of excellent info here, including some people on the ground there
http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/sho ... hp?t=21016
=+=+=+=+=
BayonetBrant
Editorial director ~ www.armchairdragoons.com
Host/Producter ~ Mentioned in Dispatches podcast
All around awesome dude & more handsome than I deserve to be with such a sparkling personality

Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: bayonetbrant

Now *that* is what I was looking for, much appreciated. [:)]
Gonna check it out.

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Liveleaks has some decent videos of Ukraine, the Syrian conflict and Iraq/ISIS conflict too. There is a lack of moderation there, so I find that much of the video posted by weight of volume is one-sided propaganda from state-sponsored television (e.g., RT, Sputnik TV), so you don't get an objective perspective.

They have the VICE news videos uploaded there too.
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

One thing to remember is that there is nothing new under the sun.

I laugh at the "hybrid war" and "little green men" hype.

You only need to read up on Maskirovka, it has a long history.

Poland -39, Finland -39, Hungary -56, Czechoslovakia -68, Afganistan -79, Georgia -08, Ukraine -14, all had the same tool kit in use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maskirovka ... r_meanings
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

ORIGINAL: bayonetbrant

Thanks for this.

Great quote from there.

“Fredrick the Great: Diplomacy without arms is like music without instrument"

The most important thing is to arm the nations bordering Russia for balance of power and secure peace.

US mostly needs to be the arsenal of democracy, no need to deploy troops in massive scale in Europe.

US has started this allready and is considered a loyal ally in Eastern Europe and the Baltic region, UK and possibly the Dutch also belong to this Atlantic core group.

Germany and France dont enjoy this trust for historical reasons combined with their current politics that seem to play to the Russian long term strategies.

TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: Hyacinth

One thing to remember is that there is nothing new under the sun.

I laugh at the "hybrid war" and "little green men" hype.

You only need to read up on Maskirovka, it has a long history.

Poland -39, Finland -39, Hungary -56, Czechoslovakia -68, Afganistan -79, Georgia -08, Ukraine -14, all had the same tool kit in use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maskirovka ... r_meanings

Really looong [;)] If Herodot is the father of history, one generation later Thucydides appears and in the very first pages of his History of the Peloponnesian War he establishes that "the truth is the first casualty of war". They already knew this more than 2 milleniums ago...
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934

Return to “General Discussion”