Laptop for WITPAE

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Odin

Laptop for WITPAE

Post by Odin »

Hello Guys,

i want to buy myself a laptop soon...

Any ideas what kind of processor and RAM is good enough for WITPAE?

System requirements ask for a 1Gz CPU and only a minimum RAM, but because i usually run the game on my I7/950, I have absolutely no idea what a machine is required to run the game in a fast enough manner.

Don´t want to pay 1000$ only to play WITPAE...[:D]

Thanks!!!

wdolson

RE: Laptop for WITPAE

Post by wdolson »

The game should run fine on most computers built in the last 10 years. The only real bottleneck is memory. If the OS is a 32 bit Windows, I recommend getting 4GB of RAM or as close to that as possible. With a 64 bit Windows, you can install a lot more memory. The game itself will use between 0.5 and 1GB of RAM, but you probably need RAM for other things too (like the OS).

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Reg

Post by Reg »

I used to run this game on a Pentium III with 428M of memory (but it was oh so slow... [:(]) and memory was definitely the biggest enabler.

I'm currently running it on a 5yr old dual core laptop that cost me $100 on ebay. As Bill said, anything modern should do.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: wdolson
The game should run fine on most computers built in the last 10 years. The only real bottleneck is memory. If the OS is a 32 bit Windows, I recommend getting 4GB of RAM or as close to that as possible. With a 64 bit Windows, you can install a lot more memory. The game itself will use between 0.5 and 1GB of RAM, but you probably need RAM for other things too (like the OS).

Bill
Bill’s thoughts are very good. CPU speed doesn’t matter; RAM does. You will want 2 GB min. There’s not much difference between 2 GB and 8 GB RAM, in terms of WiTP AE. Maybe it obtains in other applications.

My laptop is a “refurbished” HP with blah, blah, pimple, blah, and a big screen, and 8 MB RAM, for $600. In many ways, it’s better than my ’professional’ desktop. I am one of the game developers and have never had an issue with anything 1 GB or over.

There’s gazillions of them out there for $200-$500 and they can do some other applications, as well. Try Best Buy for yesterday’s “refurbished” items.

Cheapness is a good thing, so long as you know what you are looking for.
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

One thing I might add is you might want to read up on some of the posts here about problems w/ Win8/8.1 & command line switch preferences needed. If you have problems of the game running slow in certain phases, you'll probably need to have switches in your command line
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

If you're going to have a 32 bit Windows version, you will be limited to 4GB, which is plenty for the game, but the OS won't be able to see any more memory than that you may have installed.

I was recently in the market for a laptop and I can't use LED backlights, white LEDs cause horrible eyestrain (I see more in the blue spectrum than most people and white LEDs are blue LEDs with a coating). Anyway, I wanted about the most powerful laptop I could find with the old CFL backlight, which put me back to 2009 models. I wanted to be able to develop code when not at home.

I bought a used ASUS gaming laptop which was about the most powerful laptop in their product line in 2009 on Ebay for $450 only to find out it emitted a slight tobacco odor after running for an hour and I'm also allergic to tobacco. (I later bought another one that was essentially brand new for a little more.) In some ways it has more power than my new desktop. You can get a lot of computer pretty cheap if you are willing to buy used and go back a couple of years.

Bill
Chijohnaok2

Post by Chijohnaok2 »

ORIGINAL: Odin

Hello Guys,

System requirements ask for a 1Gz CPU and only a minimum RAM, but because i usually run the game on my I7/950, I have absolutely no idea what a machine is required to run the game in a fast enough manner.

Thanks!!!

I picked up a laptop just before this past Christmas (specifically to play WITP-AE on).
It's an HP-g013cl
Specs:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04323169

I purchased it at Costco for under $400 out the door (tax and everything).

It runs the game just fine (not as fast as my desktop rig, but well enough without any unreasonable delays).
4GB ram running on Windows 7 (64 bit).

Feel free to drop by and chat about whatever is on your mind.
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

My old laptop that I bought refurbished back in 2002 or 2003 will run AE. It will take up to 4 minutes of number crunching when you start running a turn before the turn starts to play out, but it will run fine. I also cannot alt-tab between the game and a wordpad I use to write up a history of my game well {takes several seconds and it is easier to just run the turn and go back through the combat txt for info}. I keep that old Toshiba around in case something happens to my current computer....Instead of backing up info and software {like I should}, I backup the hardware. The idea of going through computer withdrawals......
98ZJUSMC

Post by 98ZJUSMC »

ORIGINAL: Odin

Hello Guys,

Thanks!!!

Bought this last month for $225.00 and Free Shipping refurbished. It was over $1000.00 in 2011:

Hp Elitebook 8440p Laptop Notebook Computer - Core I5 2.4ghz - 4gb Ddr3 - 250gb HDD - Dvdrw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JW6 ... UTF8&psc=1

Works great! I searched up and down for marks or scratches. None. Cannot tell the difference from new and Windows 7 to boot. ZERO bloatware.

rms1pa

Post by rms1pa »

yippeee, glad to hear this as i just got a new (to me)

laptop.

? do i need to buy the game again or can i down load again with my old activation numbers?

rms/pa
there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: rms1pa

yippeee, glad to hear this as i just got a new (to me)

laptop.

? do i need to buy the game again or can i down load again with my old activation numbers?

rms/pa
If you need to download it and it won't let you, contact Matrix Customer Support. People say they are very good about helping. But - you did make a backup DVD or something anyway, right! [:D]
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

You are allowed to install the game on more than one computer with the same code as long as you are the only one who is going to use it. I believe the license terms are to the user, not the computer.

Bill
rms1pa

Post by rms1pa »

backup DVD or something

backups?what are these things? we don need no backups...

rms/pa
there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

chijohnaok...where in Florida are you located? I'm in south Florida...
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

Return to “Tech Support”