[WAD]ASW Sub Location

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Jabbman

[WAD]ASW Sub Location

Post by Jabbman »

I'm a little frustrated with the ability of my P-3s to locate Soviet subs in the (excellent btw) Red Storm - Fill the Gap scenario.

I have repeatedly circled the contacts and totally surrounded them with active and passive sonobouys at differing depths, but it doesn't seem to make a difference to my ability to get a good fix on them; they're dancing around like bees with ADHD. It appears that they are only being located by SOSUS, as the contacts without sonobouys above them are just as in/accurate as those without!

Frustrating.

Is there something obvious I am doing wrong, or is it worth posting a save file for someone to look at?

Cheers!
Jabbman

RE: ASW Sub Location

Post by Jabbman »

Here's a save file anyway:
Attachments
RedStorm..theGap.zip
(222.9 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

The subs aren't there but some old contacts are. If you view the game in edit mode with gods eye on you'll see where they actually are and it should be clear why your sonobouys aren't finding stuff. To clear old targets select one and hit Page Down. You should get a new ambiguous zone to search.

Thanks!

Mike
Jabbman

Post by Jabbman »

Mike, thanks for the reply!

I went back to the save file and did what you said, and it worked exactly like you said it would. I cleared all my targets, and they were replaced with new ones, but I found them where I expected them to be. The weird thing is the I have a Yankee with several dozen sonobouys overlapping each other the ambiguous search area and am having the same result as before; I can't get a fix.

The contact was re-acquired by SOSUS, and identified by SOSUS from (461nm away!), but apparently nothing is being achieved by my sonobouys.

Am I expecting too much data and accuracy from my active & passive bouys?

I'm sure there's something I'm not doing right here.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

I'll take a look but if you can post a file with the sub actually within a sonobouys range ring and not being detected it would help

In the case above its an old contact and there is nothing there to really detect.

M
Jabbman

Post by Jabbman »

Hi Mike, thanks for your earlier response!

I've attached a file. I tried using God's eye view as you suggested and dropped old contacts. An example can be found in the save file:

After dropping the contact, it is immediately re-acquired in roughly the same ambiguous zone, which the sub is still not in or near. After checking the god's eye view, the sub in question (PLA-705K Alfa 3, just East of the Shetland Islands) is cruising at 12 knots through some passive sonobouys, apparently undetected!

Should the actual position of the sub even be within the ambiguous zone?

Is this something specific to the scenario?

Does anyone have any tips for sub hunting?

Thanks in advance all!
Attachments
Red Storm .. the Gap.zip
(210.88 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: Jabbman

This may belong on a separate thread....
Jabbman

Post by Jabbman »

ORIGINAL: Sunburn
ORIGINAL: Jabbman

This may belong on a separate thread....
Hi Sunburn,
Ok, allow me to rephrase: Is there an issue with the game here, or is there something wrong with my method?
Dannyp19

Post by Dannyp19 »

ORIGINAL:

Try http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3599494
Jabbman

Post by Jabbman »

So, here are some screenshots so people can see what I mean without having to load up the save file:

#1 After dropping the Goblin 289 contact, it is re-acquired and I have a new ambiguous zone, great:

However, it doesn't matter how many sonobouys I drop into this zone, because switching into God's eye view reveals the true location of Goblin 289. Completely outside of the search zone and surrounded by sonobouys at a similar depth:

[&:] My question is simply: Why is this happening?
RobotCriminal

Post by RobotCriminal »

I think it might have to do with the SOSUS arrays themselves, its the only time I've ever noticed this happening (subs well outside of the ambiguous zone).

Just a guess though, haven't really experienced it outside of fill the gap [&:]
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Check this out when the 1.07 beta is released and let us know if it seems better.

Thanks

Mike
Jabbman

Post by Jabbman »

Cheers Mike, will do!
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Update on this one. Will likely still be there for 1.07 but will deal with by 1.08. Better news is that we know why its happening now but will take some significant engineering to deal with..thus the push. Its specific to SOSUS and long range detections.

Mike

Return to “Tech Support”