AAR - Tora, Tora, Tora - not?

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Excroat3

RE: AAR - Tora, Tora, Tora - not?

Post by Excroat3 »

For the IJN attack on the Nimitz, do you think that they could have radioed Pearl Harbor and gotten a CAP of some sort to come assist the carrier? Maybe that could have stemmed the tide of planes...

EDIT: I see that you can't model any P-40s, but could you pretend some aircraft meant to join the carriers stayed behind? Something like 8 Wildcats?
Midane

Post by Midane »

Well, it seems to be an AWESOME scenario, but unfortunately it doesn't work with the last version of Command (1.0.7).

Does someone know how to make it work on the new Command ?
djoos5

Post by djoos5 »

Might just need to update the database for the scenario.
Midane

Post by Midane »

Ok nevermind, it was a bug on my side, the scenario works perfectly fine with 1.0.7 :)
jmarso

Post by jmarso »

Everyone keeps forgetting the obvious option: Detonate a couple nuclear depth weapons under the IJN fleet and save all that jet fuel and munitions- there is still all of WWII to fight. You need samples to reverse engineer, right? Nuke the bastards on DEC 6th and preserve your resources.

Of course, that's not so fun to wargame.

Anyone else read John Birmginham's trilogy which is basically a ripoff of The Final Countdown but puts a 21st Century spin on it? (And he does an incredible job with the whole thing, BTW- the social stuff is just as engaging as the military angle)

When I modded this scenario in 3rd Wire's Strike Fighters 2- North Atlantic flight sim, I planned the attack against the Japanese fleet to be TOT at about the time they were through about a third of the first wave launch- this was my answer to the paradoxical conundrum of 'do they really mean to attack?'. With fighters and bombers leaving the decks of the carriers as the Nimitz Alpha Strike arrives on scene, the Japanese intent to attack Pearl is clear, coupled with the evidence of the history books. The Tomcats lay into the first wave, and the rest of the strike sends the Japs to the bottom.
Alecc

Post by Alecc »

ORIGINAL: Midane

Ok nevermind, it was a bug on my side, the scenario works perfectly fine with 1.0.7 :)

Any insight in getting to to run? I'm running 1.0.9, and it seems that the Nimitz doesn't have any AIM-9H's to go around.
sandy61

Post by sandy61 »

A far more interesting alternate history lesson would be if the Nimitz used the Tomcats to snuff out all the Japanese aircraft and left the IJN Admirals wondering just what happened. Imagine, 10 minutes of hectic radio calls,then silence. If the aircraft were all lost prior to hitting land, they would never know what exactly happened and probably conclude that the American weren't to be messed with. Then the Nimitz quietly slips back, forward in time.......
Midane

Post by Midane »

ORIGINAL: Alecc

Any insight in getting to to run? I'm running 1.0.9, and it seems that the Nimitz doesn't have any AIM-9H's to go around.

So I wanted to play this amazing scenario again, but it's very hard to make it work with Command 1.2

The problems with the original file are :
- It is not possible to arm the A-7E and F-14A (message "aircraft was not equipped...")
- The Japanese mission strikes on Peal Harbor won't trigger. Pretty boring.

I tried to fixed this and here is what I found :
- You can actually arm the A-7E and F-14A by clicking on "OK - Ready" in the Ready/Arm window instead of double-clicking on the Loadout name you want. Pretty weird, must be a bug [8|]. Anyway it works fine this way, you can even load nuclear weapons.
- The time of trigger for the 2nd wave attack was not right. I fixed this to put it 1h15 minutes after the 1st wave, as originally intended.
- One of the problem that prevent the missions to be launched is the fact that the planes are not in range of Peal Harbor, by a long way. I don't understand why it worked originally. Maybe the planes had Drop Tanks that mysteriously disappeared. To compensate for this, I put the Japanese fleet much closer so they are in range when it's time to attack. To compensate, I put the Nimitz farther SW.
- Still, the missions won't trigger. I didn't get why, as they should, according to the scenario parameters [&:].

I spent 2 hours on this already and I'm not sure I want to spend more time . So I provide here the file with the current status, if someone wants to continue to debug it [:)] .
Attachments
TheFinal..illbugs.zip
(255.59 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

Return to “After Action Report”