Graphical means of finding fighters ?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

scout1

Graphical means of finding fighters ?

Post by scout1 »

Any means to identify a given aircraft type on the map ....

1) First level of interest would be Fighters or Bombers .... Some map feature that highlights their location ?
2) Second level would be specific aircraft type, 109's or 190's .....

I find myself hunting around for a given a/c type to move into the area's where the allied bombers are problematic ....
Dante Fierro

RE: Graphical means of finding fighters ?

Post by Dante Fierro »

ORIGINAL: scout1

Any means to identify a given aircraft type on the map ....

1) First level of interest would be Fighters or Bombers .... Some map feature that highlights their location ?
2) Second level would be specific aircraft type, 109's or 190's .....

I find myself hunting around for a given a/c type to move into the area's where the allied bombers are problematic ....

Yes I agree with you. Curiously missing is an overlay that allows you to easily determine some level of outlay of where your fighters/bombers are concentrated.

I often use the air transport overlay to get an idea. But you still have to click on each hex individually to find out what is present. Although the line connectivity to all other airbases connected with a given air command is very helpful.

Helpless

Post by Helpless »

This is not so easy to add anything like this, but nevertheless we have official task item to add aircraft map filtering/display tool.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
MisterBoats

Post by MisterBoats »

Aren't the types of each air squadron revealed when you hover the mouse over the air bases? I do that when I need to transfer squadrons.
Nico165b165

Post by Nico165b165 »

Yes but when you have to find something in England, it can take a while. Good to know a better solution is being worked on.
nedcorleone1

Post by nedcorleone1 »

This feature would be fantastic for those who don't give A I control to their air groups. I consider this a must have feature.
ird

Post by ird »

This would be great. Can take a while searching for air groups at present
nedcorleone1

Post by nedcorleone1 »

Also would be nice to not only be able to sort by a particular model of aircraft on the map but also see an overlay of the combat radius from each location (overlapping rings of combat ranges).
Dante Fierro

Post by Dante Fierro »

If you want to manually manage the air in WitW, and I really don't trust the AI too much here (especially when facing an opponent) the level of detail required is quite a bit. Whereas it is easy visibly ascertain your ground units for your ground campaign, the air groups remain invisible until you mouse-over an airbase. Given the amount of involvement of the air system in WitW, and just how critical it is to the game - it does seem a bit surprising there is no visible representation of the air units much like the ground units.

So yes, adding an additional map overlay that can let you more visibly manage your air would be very nice, although imagine would be a programmatic challenge.

Seminole

Post by Seminole »

This is not so easy to add anything like this, but nevertheless we have official task item to add aircraft map filtering/display tool.

Since the CR remembers the filters, this would be a nice thing to have a check box to relay to the F10 air transfer view of the map.
That way you're at least not required to re-invent those portions of the interface.
With the box checked only bases with aircraft (numbering however many groups as is shown now if more than one pass the filter) that you were hunting could be scanned for quickly.
Since location (x,y) is grouped in the display and only sortable by x the CR filter tied to the F10 air transfer map would be very nice.

I do want to say kudos for how many ways the interface lets you get from one thing to another.
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
Dante Fierro

Post by Dante Fierro »

ORIGINAL: Seminole

Since the CR remembers the filters, this would be a nice thing to have a check box to relay to the F10 air transfer view of the map.
That way you're at least not required to re-invent those portions of the interface.
With the box checked only bases with aircraft (numbering however many groups as is shown now if more than one pass the filter) that you were hunting could be scanned for quickly.
Since location (x,y) is grouped in the display and only sortable by x the CR filter tied to the F10 air transfer map would be very nice.

I do want to say kudos for how many ways the interface lets you get from one thing to another.
Yes - I think the interface is probably one of the best computerized UIs I've experienced yet. I feel guilty even bringing up what seems somewhat lacking. I am quite happy with all the other ways to interact with the game, even find some of the functionality absolutely brilliant.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”