TGW v1.8 playtest

Post accounts of your memorable victories and defeats here for other wargamers to share.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

larryfulkerson

RE: TGW playtest

Post by larryfulkerson »

New turn.........here's the front lines so far. I'm evacuating the north and reinforcing the south. I'm going to form another temp
front line somewhere and defend the rest of the game I guess.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (490.82 KiB) Viewed 595 times
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Alrighty then........the supply level is finally high enough to continue the war. About time. It's into May already.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (408.75 KiB) Viewed 595 times
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

This area is the El Paso of the southern front lines. I had to give it up this past winter because the supply level collapsed but
now I'm taking it back again and I hope to be able to do it without getting into the mountains. I expect Elmer to retreat into the
mountains but I'm not sure I want to pursue in that case.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (387.65 KiB) Viewed 595 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

The main source of the trouble comes from this area. The Soviets have let the dogs out and I'm seeing stacks and stacks of
Soviet stuff showing up at the front lines. I'm guessing these are units that I have already destroyed once and they have
re-spawned and are now back in the game. D'oh.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (420.78 KiB) Viewed 595 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I've just noticed that I have a squadron, well a group, that is just about to run out of airplanes. And we're not making any more
of that type so I'm hesitant to use it in combat. So I guess I'll just park it at Berlin or something.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (312.05 KiB) Viewed 595 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Now that the railroad is getting close to the southern front the supply level has increased a lot. I'm removing the hold I put on
attacking and we're pressing forward again. More pushing and shoving ensues. I'm going to route the rail to the southern route
in order to make sure that supply can reach the bottom of the map.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (391.83 KiB) Viewed 595 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's how the air war is going right now. It's hot. The fighting is fierce.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (382.34 KiB) Viewed 595 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Okie dokie.....I've cleared out the corner dividing north from south and east from west and the RR engineers are cleared in hot
to repair the rail and get some supply moving through there.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (360.04 KiB) Viewed 595 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's the T103 front lines now. The northern front seems deserted or abandoned but I'm guarding just in case they show up at the
river. I'm guarding along the river front. I'm thinking of pulling back to Moscow, around that area.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (397.72 KiB) Viewed 595 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's the northern front now. I've recently had a thought that has given me pause and I want to discuss it here because I'm looking
for input from you guys and mostly from Steve Sill. Um......it occurs to me that I have a section of the front line that is largely
unemployed at the moment and this is some of the finest infantry in the world at the time and I'm not using it right. It should be in the
middle of a fight somewhere. So I'm thinking of replacing all the German stuff on the front line here with Axis minors. The Romanians
say. But it seems like I remember a house rule for FITE that said something like Axis minors can't move north of a certain hex
row and I don't remember which row that was. And also the Finns couldn't move south of some hex row or other. Anybody remember
that house rule and what it said and whether or not we should adopt it in this scenario. That's my question I guess.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (424.04 KiB) Viewed 595 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I blew a hole in the Soviet line and surrounded them and destroyed them and now there doesn't appear to be much between me
and the east edge of the map. That's a good sign and I hope there's enough supply to get there.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (376.9 KiB) Viewed 595 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's what I'm running into on the southern front. Lots and lots of Soviet units. I would have given the little detail boxes for the
rest of the Soviet stacks but the picture started looking too busy. It's 08:58 on Jan 31, 2015 right now.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (461.6 KiB) Viewed 595 times
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Anybody remember that house rule and what it said and whether or not we should adopt it in this scenario.

I don't remember the specifics. I can tell you what I do. For the Finns, they always stay in the northern part of the map.

For Rumania and Hungary I have to make some stuff up to cover the unhistoric situation of having parts of the front inactive [usually the northern zone]. I figure that Hitler would go to the Rumanians and Hungarians and propose to take them out of the combat areas and move them to the inactive area. Rumania and Hungary would accept this as it would mean less casualties to their forces.

So, in the scenario, I would say that it is ok to replace German units with minor allies in inactive areas.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
Anybody remember that house rule and what it said and whether or not we should adopt it in this scenario.

I don't remember the specifics. I can tell you what I do. For the Finns, they always stay in the northern part of the map.

For Rumania and Hungary I have to make some stuff up to cover the unhistoric situation of having parts of the front inactive [usually the northern zone]. I figure that Hitler would go to the Rumanians and Hungarians and propose to take them out of the combat areas and move them to the inactive area. Rumania and Hungary would accept this as it would mean less casualties to their forces.

So, in the scenario, I would say that it is ok to replace German units with minor allies in inactive areas.
Sounds good to me. I'll do it.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I managed to get some arty up next to a Soviet airfield and I did an airfield strike with them and here's the results: all in all not too bad.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (376.92 KiB) Viewed 595 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I thought the major river would stop the Soviets but nnnnnnnnnnoooooooooo and so they have leaped across and are streaming
into my rear areas and I need to dispatch some troops to put a stop to that and clean up the mess.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (379.73 KiB) Viewed 595 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Note to Steve: hex 141,66 has a terrain problem. It's a flooded marsh hex which means nobody can enter it except for the road and
when you drop the bridge there's no road and nobody can enter the hex. But there's also an airfield there and the Soviets own it.
I keep doing arty strikes and killing stuff, I'm not complaining, I'm just saying maybe we should re-think the flooded marsh part or
something.

EDIT: It's only an issue because there's an adjacent engineer unit with all it's MP's and IT can't enter the hex.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (310.25 KiB) Viewed 595 times
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I managed to get some arty up next to a Soviet airfield and I did an airfield strike with them ...

Don't the results of shelling airfields with artillery seem a bit unrealistic ? The same with ships shooting at airfields. Planes sit there and get wiped out.
hex 141,66 has a terrain problem.

Got it, thanks.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
I managed to get some arty up next to a Soviet airfield and I did an airfield strike with them ...
Don't the results of shelling airfields with artillery seem a bit unrealistic ? The same with ships shooting at airfields. Planes sit there and get wiped out.
So um....I realize you're aiming for realism and historical accuracy and all that and I admit I haven't really been looking at the outlayers
in the combat results. I really haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. Maybe I need a fresh pair of eyes. I'll start paying attention
and look into the extraordinary results that seem to happen from time to time. I don't remember right off the top of my head whether
we're using half-week turns or week turns or what it is but I'm inexperienced in the real world and don't know what a realistic number
might be expected to be. I'm no expert. So do you think we need to adjust the AAA leatheality index or the attrition divider or both?

EDIT: If you examine the picture in post #175, the image of the airfield strike combat results, note with me that I used all the arty
available on the Axis side, almost. I honestly didn't think it was extraordinary.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I'm approaching the east edge of the map. When I get there the Soviets will be divided into north part and south part and I can, with
my unapproachable skill, defeat them one part at a time. I'm closest to defeating the south part first so that's what I'll do. Meanwhile
I'll move the Minor Axis forces to hold back the northern part hordes.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (397.12 KiB) Viewed 595 times

Return to “After Action Reports”