FYI: War in the Pacific / Admirals Edition: New fan-Artist

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

GaryChildress

FYI: War in the Pacific / Admirals Edition: New fan-Artist

Post by GaryChildress »

For anyone currently sitting on the fence of the Holiday Sale, not sure if they want to purchase WITP/AE or not (currently at its lowest price ever, I believe) I would like to draw your attention to a really great modder/map artist who has been doing absolutely incredible work with WITP/AE. His forum name is "chemkid" and below is a link to his latest map work. If you weren't sure about getting AE or not at this price, I think the incredible quality of these maps will change your mind. Just be sure to visit the thread below after purchasing the game and DL one of his maps. There is a ton of really great fan created mod art and scenarios out there for the game. HIGHLY recommended for wargaming fanatics. :)

tm.asp?m=3696410&mpage=1&key=?

WARNING: WITP/AE is an incredibly complex and difficult game to master so just be sure to check out all the info first before making a purchase decision.

Below is an ingame pic:
PLEASE NOTE: I had to save this screen shot as a GIF file with a 256 color palette in order to be able to post it within file size limits so the color quality is a little reduced but I think it still gives you an idea of just how great these maps really are. [:)]

Attachments
preview1.gif
preview1.gif (705.78 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Missouri_Rebel

RE: FYI: War in the Pacific / Admirals Edition: New fan-Artist

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Wow. That is simply stunning. Fantastic work. Thanks for the heads up Gary.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Most welcome MO_Reb. Chemkid did some early experiments with some topographical maps from the National Geographic Society, USGS website, incorporating them into WITP/AE and I think this latest adaptation is just amazing. I don't know his profession (or if he has one at all) but he has done some incredible work on the AE maps. [&o]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

looks like Google earth overlays and been overlayed onto a game map, but yes look very nice...

have seen this Technic being used now in a few games and tbh it makes them look a lot better
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Aesthetics are so important in a game (imo) and one of the things that stopped me getting into this game was the absolutely hideous graphics. Gray mountains (WIF Final Edition at its worst!) and that dark green. Yuk.

These maps give me the urge to dust off the game and fire her up once more....

Really nice work chemkid.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Damn, I like this one [:)]

Gary, I guess this is for the normal version, right? I imagine I can't use given that I am using the Da Big Babes mod aka extended map with off-map locations (Aden, Cape Town, Falkland Islands etc.). Bad luck then.

Attachments
witp.jpg
witp.jpg (81.07 KiB) Viewed 250 times
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Aesthetics are so important in a game (imo) and one of the things that stopped me getting into this game was the absolutely hideous graphics...
And aesthetics are so subjective.

I have had no problems with the default WITP:AE graphics. I rather like them.
Gray mountains (WIF Final Edition at its worst!) and that dark green. Yuk.
Looks good to me! [8D]

In fact, I prefer the default WITP:AE over this mod's pastel greens and light blues.

Fortunately, Chemkid has an earlier mod variant like this one but with colors close to the WITP:AE defaults.

To each his own, of course.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Damn, I like this one [:)]

Gary, I guess this is for the normal version, right? I imagine I can't use given that I am using the Da Big Babes mod aka extended map with off-map locations (Aden, Cape Town, Falkland Islands etc.). Bad luck then.

I believe Chemkid has another version out for Da Babes mod. I haven't played any of the Da Babes mods yet so I'm not 100% on that but check out his thread and see:

tm.asp?m=3696410&mpage=1&key=?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: berto

Aesthetics are so important in a game (imo) and one of the things that stopped me getting into this game was the absolutely hideous graphics...
And aesthetics are so subjective.

I have had no problems with the default WITP:AE graphics. I rather like them.
Gray mountains (WIF Final Edition at its worst!) and that dark green. Yuk.
Looks good to me! [8D]

In fact, I prefer the default WITP:AE over this mod's pastel greens and light blues.

Fortunately, Chemkid has an earlier mod variant like this one but with colors close to the WITP:AE defaults.

To each his own, of course.
warspite1

The perils of a game designer...

Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Thanks for the heads up on this mod, looks great, downloaded and installed.

Particularly good mod for someone like me who spends a lot more time looking at the game (then shaking my head and regretfully exiting due the the gargantuan undertaking it is) than playing it [:)]

Eventually I'll get round to playing it even if it means I have to mothball my current computer so I can still play it on by then non-available tech when I retire.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

Thanks for the heads up on this mod, looks great, downloaded and installed.

Particularly good mod for someone like me who spends a lot more time looking at the game (then shaking my head and regretfully exiting due the the gargantuan undertaking it is) than playing it [:)]

Eventually I'll get round to playing it even if it means I have to mothball my current computer so I can still play it on by then non-available tech when I retire.

I know what you mean Wolfe. AE is a monster undertaking. I spend more time dabbling around in the editor and with plane and ship art or just staring at the beautiful screen than actually playing AE anymore. To me modding is another way of "playing" the game. But I fondly remember the days (err... I mean years) of my AARs and PBEM games from WitP. So WitP/AE holds a dear spot for me as well. If I lost all trace of the game tomorrow on my computer I would still be buying another copy just so I can own a piece of wargaming history. I think WitP/AE will go down as a wargaming culture classic someday. Someday wargamers will be telling their great grandchildren (if they aren't already that is), "yep, I reckon your grandma divorced me because of WitP/AE." WitP/AE is a piece of wargaming cultural history in the making. [:)]
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

I think this very well could be the year I hop off the fence and buy it. Nice looking map.

Are there smaller scenarios that are good to play against the AI?
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

I think I'm gonna to finally give in and pick this up. The price is reasonable enough, and the active community points to something worth owning. Plus, that map mod makes the game look much more modern and crisp IMO.

If nothing else, the icon will complete the monster wargame corner of my desktop next to CMANO, WitE, SPWAW and a couple others.
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

I think this very well could be the year I hop off the fence and buy it. Nice looking map.

Are there smaller scenarios that are good to play against the AI?

Yes there are if you download all the Andy Mac improved scenarios:

Battle of Coral Sea - 1 May to 15 May 1942
Guadalcanal - 4 Aug 1942 to 7 Feb 1943
1000 Mile War (Aleutians - Kurlie Islands) 15 April to 15 June 1943
Battle of the Marianas - 22 May to 6 August 1944
Battle of the Marianas (Hakko Ichin: which means the Japanese side has some added forces) - 22 May to 6 August 1944
Operation Buccaneer ie: Montbattan's Folly (Bay or Begal air/naval invasion that was called off historically) 18 Oct to 30 Nov 1943
Downfall - Invasion of Japan - 1 Sept 1945 to 1 Sept 1946
Battle of Wake Island (another what if scenario: US relief of Wake Island) - 12 Jan to 25 Feb 1942
Battle of Burma - 1 Jan to 30 May 1942

Great games to learn how to play and also to play PBEM, most of them can be done in a couple of months.

The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

This is an excellent piece of work, and a solid bump to Game Designers & Matrix that their efforts can be improved by allowing access to the data for "modders"
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
mcp5500

Post by mcp5500 »

For you new guys/gals on the fence about buying the game, these modes Chang everything. Bought WITPAD 2 years ago when it's price was about 100 bucks. It set on my shelf for two years. Sure I would pull it and try to play and it was always a monstor. 3 weeks ago I commited myself to use my entire vacation to playing GC. By the end of October I had secured port morsby, taken Guadalcanal, and damaged to careers. The second time I tried after adding a few mods, it is a differant game. I am barely haning on and it is October. 10. This a great game, now I try to get 4 hrs a week. Byte the bullet you will have something to do when you retire.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

I had this graphic mod running for sometime back in may last year, it was taken too much time outta me and I just gave up. Since wasn't very many players are interesting in it. I think the problems is related to terrains that cannot be define unless you write it down. Too bad it doesn't show up what terrain it is when you hover a mouse over that base or click on that location. Here a screenshot I did back then...

Yes it is pretty and dark, maybe most strategy fans don't like dark colors, IDK? Anyway even if I did finish this mod, don't think I will give it away for free and I cant sell it due to copyright of Microsoft Bing's Satellite Maps. I got permission to use it, but cant sell it unless I can set it up as donate or something.

The problems is that I have to work with pixels here, most parts of the map isn't that hard, the tricky parts is trying to line them in proper ways the game map is. The real map doesn't match the game map, so that what taken too much work to do. There some hexes need to be change, for example shallow waters North of Okinawa is off a little.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

I had this graphic mod running for sometime back in may last year, it was taken too much time outta me and I just gave up. Since wasn't very many players are interesting in it. I think the problems is related to terrains that cannot be define unless you write it down. Too bad it doesn't show up what terrain it is when you hover a mouse over that base or click on that location. Here a screenshot I did back then...

Yes it is pretty and dark, maybe most strategy fans don't like dark colors, IDK? Anyway even if I did finish this mod, don't think I will give it away for free and I cant sell it due to copyright of Microsoft Bing's Satellite Maps. I got permission to use it, but cant sell it unless I can set it up as donate or something.

The problems is that I have to work with pixels here, most parts of the map isn't that hard, the tricky parts is trying to line them in proper ways the game map is. The real map doesn't match the game map, so that what taken too much work to do. There some hexes need to be change, for example shallow waters North of Okinawa is off a little.
warspite1

Have BP been drilling for oil off Japan?

Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

warspite1

Have BP been drilling for oil off Japan?

Heh it look like it, I could brighten it some though.

Return to “General Discussion”