AI still coming?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Neilster

RE: AI Still Coming?

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

ORIGINAL: Neilster
it basically represents "mission creep"

No, it isn't. Developing and implementing an AI computer opponent is a promised feature of the game as advertised and sold to customers. It's part of Steve's contract, it's part of the mission. We're just haggling about priorities. Clearly the priorities have been on the bug fixes and NetPlay, and then I expect things will shift to implementing the other optional rules and finalizing the other scenarios. A fully functioning global war AI will probably be one of the last things implemented. We all got that, fine.

But. AI is still part of the mission and a lot of customers who have already bought and paid for this game and others who are still waiting for the promised AI to arrive are still watching for developments. Monthly reports repeatedly state "Nothing New." Well, howzabout offering something new, anything? Clearly the AI will have to perform discrete tasks for each phase, so a lot of the AI programming will be in modules to handle nation setups, production convoys, unit scrapping, etc. So why not throw us a bone and provide some of these modules sooner rather than later and let players see something?? Or, just go ahead and poo-poo any modest suggestions about the AI like you guys keep doing. Fine. We'll wait. I can hardly wait to read "Nothing New" again in next week's monthly report for January. Thanks. [:@]
Perhaps you misunderstood my post. I wasn't suggesting that an AI is "mission creep" but was rather addressing the specific point you made. It's my experience that Steve is very cognisant of not adding to the work he already has to do.

Have you read all the AI threads? A considerable amount of work has been done already. It's a bit like a kit home where the components have been manufactured but they're in storage until the groundworks and foundations have been completed. When they're brought to site the construction should happen quite quickly.

I'm very interested in seeing the AI implemented, have a Computer Science degree with a considerable AI component and helped in a very small way when we were thrashing out AI ideas some years ago. I suggested similar things to you back then, including the ability for the AI to take over major powers on your side and at the time Steve nixed the ideas. Now I'm not saying that won't change but my original post was made in the light of that and other experience.

I'd like to see as much flexibility as possible with the AI and who knows what will happen down the track?

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Neilster

Perhaps you misunderstood my post. I wasn't suggesting that an AI is "mission creep" but was rather addressing the specific point you made. It's my experience that Steve is very cognisant of not adding to the work he already has to do.

Oh I got it. But perhaps you also miss my point. I fully acknowledged what the current priorities are and wasn't suggesting that Steve drop everything right now to shift gears to work on the AI. But it needs to be worked on eventually, and will most likely be developed in modules to handle the different functions of the different phases. Allowing players to toggle the AI on/off is a good idea, and if/when the AI is available to do that for a particular phase then that would be cool. So, if possible, it would be nice to see some of that implemented sooner for some phases rather than wait until a fully functional global war AI is completed. Just my suggestion.

And it would be nice to hear from Steve or Erik themselves about the next priorites after completion of the ongoing bug fixes and NetPlay. We're getting to that point where some official update would be helpful.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

I agree, a new official update is much needed.
Richard
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

My impression is that they are working very hard on final bugs and getting netplay to work. Once this is done, a beta patch will be released, then depending on responses, an official one soon after.

Regardless in a few days we will have Steve's monthly report to parse over and maybe will find out more from that too. [:)]
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

matrix is a bit slow, I think.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

matrix is a bit slow, I think.

Scrap "I think"...
Peter
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

[:D]
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

V1.3.3.0 – January 20, 2015
For AI Opponent
Changed some of the data for the AI Opponent as to which hexes in the USSR belong to which Land Regions. Now the Murmansk to Leningrad rail line is completely in the land regions Murmansk and Leningrad. The Voronezh land region has gained one hex from the Moscow land region and 4 hexes from the Stalingrad land region. These changes correct data entry errors made using out-of-date definitions of which hexes belong to which land regions.

A bone, we've been thrown a bone. The AI lives! Score! [:D]
Bill Macon
bo

Post by bo »

V1.3.3.0 – January 20, 2015
For AI Opponent
Changed some of the data for the AI Opponent as to which hexes in the USSR belong to which Land Regions. Now the Murmansk to Leningrad rail line is completely in the land regions Murmansk and Leningrad. The Voronezh land region has gained one hex from the Moscow land region and 4 hexes from the Stalingrad land region. These changes correct data entry errors made using out-of-date definitions of which hexes belong to which land regions.

A bone, we've been thrown a bone. The AI lives! Score! [:D]

It is a chicken bone not a porterhouse steak bone pzgndr,[:D] hope your not holding your breath waiting[:(]

Bo
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Maybe everyone would be interested in purchasing the MWiF Top Teir a.i. option. It's going to cost a bit more but basically the ai will be played by a North Korean political dissident who is a WiF grand master and will be available 24/7.

Talk about some interesting chat emicons. I'm thinking the limp ICBM denotes displeasure of sorts.

I hope I can budget for it.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Maybe everyone would be interested in purchasing the MWiF Top Teir a.i. option. It's going to cost a bit more but basically the ai will be played by a North Korean political dissident who is a WiF grand master and will be available 24/7.

Talk about some interesting chat emicons. I'm thinking the limp ICBM denotes displeasure of sorts.

I hope I can budget for it.
Kind of a modern day mechanical turk, then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Turk
Paul
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Wow. What a contraption.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Making a retro version MWIF automation machine and stuffing that little fat dictator Kim Jung-Un in a hidden box. The Jurk (tm)
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: bo
It is a chicken bone not a porterhouse steak bone pzgndr,[:D] hope your not holding your breath waiting[:(]

Ah, but this month's monthly report does indicate AI development work resumed in January. That's refreshing news for a change. So maybe a computer opponent for at least the Barbarossa scenario for starters might not be so terribly far off; several more months? Sometime later this year would be nice.
Bill Macon
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: bo

Ah, but this month's monthly report does indicate AI development work resumed in January. That's refreshing news for a change. So maybe a computer opponent for at least the Barbarossa scenario for starters might not be so terribly far off; several more months? Sometime later this year would be nice.

Ah pzgndr, that was a refreshing monthly report, nobody could more happier than me, unless you of course [;)] I cannot wait to test Steve's AI when it gets going.

Bo

Return to “World in Flames”