3.4 patch issues

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

Darkfine

3.4 patch issues

Post by Darkfine »

I am having issues getting the patch to install. Though truth be told I am not even sure what to do with it. I DL'd from the site, used 7 zip to unzip it. There is now a TOAW update icon on my desktop but when I click it I get a "can't run app on this pc" pop up. I am on windows 8. What am I doing wrong?
larryfulkerson

RE: 3.4 patch issues

Post by larryfulkerson »

You didn't say but are you running 64-bit as well? You may have to run it in compatability mode. Right click and choose it from the pop up menu. Lemme know if
this helps.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Darkfine

Post by Darkfine »

Yes it is windows 8 64 bit. Ran through all of the compatibility options, same result each time. Any other thoughts?
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Sorry Darkfine dude, I'm fresh out of good ideas. I'm running Win 7 and have never had a problem but I've heard there's horror stories associated with Win 8.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Darkfine

Post by Darkfine »

Sigh, my own fault I guess for not reading the requirements before purchasing I realize, but there should really be a "don't buy with windows 8" banner somewhere between seeing the game and clicking "purchase". Oh well, back to Hearts of Iron with me.

Thanks for your time anyway!
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Mr. Dark, just to be sure, you should have installed the original 3.0 file and then all the following patches in order ?

Attachments
jpeg24.jpg
jpeg24.jpg (17.46 KiB) Viewed 186 times
Darkfine

Post by Darkfine »

Where can I find those? Though I am not sure it will help I am willing to give it a shot. It isn't that the patch isn't installing it is that my PC says it can't run it at all.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

http://www.patches-scrolls.com/operatio ... f_war3.php

And I'm not sure this is the answer for you either, I just know that I went thru hell until I started using this procedure. I hope it does help you out.
Darkfine

Post by Darkfine »

Tried the first one, comp is saying it wont run it as it poses a risk to my pc.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Forget the patches. You're saying that the original game install ("setup release") by itself won't run?
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Darkfine

Post by Darkfine »

It runs, kind of, the version of the game is 3.0whatever though. For example when I run the game there are odd graphical artifacts and there is no way to change the resolution. Which wouldn't be a problem but around 70% of the screen is black. The game "window" is the other 30%, as a result it is kind of hard to make anything out.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Darkfine

It runs, kind of, the version of the game is 3.0whatever though. For example when I run the game there are odd graphical artifacts and there is no way to change the resolution. Which wouldn't be a problem but around 70% of the screen is black. The game "window" is the other 30%, as a result it is kind of hard to make anything out.

Alright, then at least that is working. For the patches, you know that they install over the game installation, right? You don't uninstall the game installation or such. The patches aren't stand-alone programs: You must have the game installed first.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Darkfine

Post by Darkfine »

Right, I have the base game installed. After I unzip the first patch and try to install it (by clicking the icon in the folder) it tells me that running it would damage the PC and stops it.
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

I haven't used Win 8 but there must be some way to turn down the default security settings. Have you tried that?
Are you using an admin account (if that exists in Win8)?
Is the shut down message coming from Windows or some other program?

I have to say I don't remember there being a shortcut on my desktop to run the patch. I downloaded a file TOAW-Update-v340202.exe and ran it directly by clicking on it in Windows explorer. Have you tried doing it this way?
Darkfine

Post by Darkfine »

Okay, I finally got it working. Thanks for all the advice guys! (turns out I had to turn off security software and change some settings then DL everything again). Now, I just need to figure out how to play[;)]
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Hey Darkfine dude: I'm really glad it's working for you now. Whew ! Now when somebody else has this
problem we know how to fix it. Good deal.

What are you going to play first? One of the tutorials? I'd suggest something smaller and not one of
the monsters like FITE. What you need is somebody to take you under their wing and introduce
you to PBEM games. They are funner than playing Elmer. Advertize for an opponent and good luck.
pmarvin

Post by pmarvin »

Mine is a different problem, but you guys may have an answer for me.

I'm on Windows 7, installed the game, then used the "Update finder" function to go to Matrix for latest update...d/loaded and installed w/out a hitch. But when I boot the game I get "blocks" where letters ought to be. I can click the various links, but continue to get unreadable blocks wherever there should be letters. Ideas?

Pete
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: pmarvin

I'm on Windows 7, installed the game, then used the "Update finder" function to go to Matrix for latest update...d/loaded and installed w/out a hitch. But when I boot the game I get "blocks" where letters ought to be. I can click the various links, but continue to get unreadable blocks wherever there should be letters. Ideas?

Pete
Get all the various patched from The Patches Scroll. Install step by step. Works best that way.

http://www.patches-scrolls.com/operatio ... f_war3.php

After each step I used to copy the .EXE files out, name them, e.g. Opart30017.EXE, etc. in order to use (if necessary) older versions. Works fine.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: pmarvin

Pete

Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing?
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Return to “TOAW III Support”