Thoughts on 1.60 beta patch

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

operating

RE: Thoughts on 1.60 beta patch

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

Not much of a compromise really, Germany will always have the advantage for her land forces,but the time she has this advantage for will be reduced,France,Britain & Austria will be round about 4 game turn between each other,while Russia & Turkey will be about 4 or 5 game turns behind France for example. Another thing if you focus researched,it will be quicker than any other version off the game so far.[;)]

2 questions: One, Will Entente research time be progressively faster than CP's (Germany)? Concerned it might overlap (catch up to) Germany's research, then be progressively ahead of Germany after that. Two, Will focus have the "same value" for all countries, or will it have more value for some countries than others?
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Tomokatu

Post by Tomokatu »

The fact that discussion on developments is taking place is very encouraging.
I look forward to the eventual release of 1.6 (final) patch - (Tomo prods Matrix/Slitherine with pointy stick! Get ON with it, you blokes and blokettes.)
For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction
operating

Post by operating »

Kirk wrote;

Turkey did not really have any Submarines in world war 1 of her own, so the best solution is to place another port in the Black sea next to Constantinople, I have also positioned the Turkish Light Cruiser in this port hex for all the scenarios in the game,this should stop the Entente gamey ploy of placing a cruiser unit next to Constantinople before Turkey officially jouns the war.

Actually Turkey did have a captured French built sub (1915), it is listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_ ... man_Empire . You are right about Turkey not having a submarine when they entered the war. Going to have to research if AH or German subs were in Turkish waters, at or near to when Turkey enters.
operating

Post by operating »

Kirk,

I was wondering about this:

Mediterranean U-boat Campaign (World War I) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterran ... rld_War_I)
1915[edit]

Operations at the Dardanelles[edit]

In April 1915, the Imperial German Navy sent their first submarines to the Mediterranean in response to the Anglo-French Dardanelles campaign, after it became obvious that their Austro-Hungarian allies could do little against it with their small submarine force, which nevertheless was successful in defending the Adriatic.

The first U-boat sent—U-21—achieved initial success, sinking the Royal Navy predreadnought battleships HMS Triumph and Majestic on 25 and 27 May respectively on her way to Constantinople, but ran into severe limitations in the Dardanelles, where swarms of small craft and extensive anti-submarine netting and booms restricted their movements. In addition, the Germans dispatched a number of UB and UC Type boats; these were sent in sections by rail to Pola where they were assembled for transit to Constantinople. One was lost, but by the end of 1915 the Germans had established a force of seven U-boats at Constantinople, misleadingly named the Mediterranean U-Boat Division.

The Pola flotilla[edit]

Main article: Pola Flotilla

At the same time, the Germans determined to establish a force in the Adriatic to open the commerce war against Allied trade in the Mediterranean.

By the end of June 1915, the Germans had assembled a further three pre-fabricated Type UB I submarines at Pola in Istria, two of them intended for transfer to the Austrian Navy. They were also assembling three Type UC I minelaying submarines, which were ordered converted into transports to carry small quantities of critical supplies to Turkey. However, the UB submarines were hindered by their short operational range and the Dardanelles currents, and in July U-21—the only U-boat with a decent operating range—was damaged by a mine and confined to Constantinople.

On 21 July, the ocean-going submarines U-34 and U-35 were detached from service in the Baltic and sent to Cattaro (in present-day Montenegro), the Germans deciding to make use of Austrian bases rather than Constantinople, since there were better supply and repair facilities in the Adriatic and it avoided submarines having to negotiate the dangerous passage through the Dardanelles. In August, U-33 and U-39 joined the German Flotilla stationed at Cattaro, following pleas from the German military attaché in Constantinople, who reported that the Royal Navy's close naval support was inflicting heavy losses on Turkish forces at the Gallipoli beachheads.
The Constantinople flotilla (German: U-Halbflottille Konstantinopel) was an Imperial German Navy formation set up during World War I to prosecute the U-boat campaign against Allied shipping in the Mediterranean and the Black Sea in support of Germany’s ally, the Ottoman Empire. Despite its official name, the "U-boats of the Mediterranean Division in Constantinople" (U-Boote der Mittelmeerdivision in Konstantinopel), it saw little service there, operating mostly against Russian shipping in the Black Sea.

The Constantinople Flotilla had a maximum strength of 11 U–boats but due to the unfavourable conditions for commerce raiding in the Black Sea saw little success during its three years of operations. In three years of operation, the force sank ships totalling 117,093 GRT.

14 U-boats served in the Constantinople Flotilla; 6 were lost operationally.

In 1917 the force was amalgamated with the Pola Flotilla, coming under the command of the U-Boat Leader, Mediterranean (Führer der U-boote im Mittelmeer) there; the unit was renamed the Constantinople Half-Flotilla (U-Halbflotille Konstantinopel).
In 1918, with the collapse of the Central Powers, the U-boats were scuttled, or fled to join the Pola boats in their evacuation to Germany.

Where Germany was sending Uboats by RR to AH for use in the Mediterranean, then why not have the in game ability of deploying German submarines at AH ports?[&:]

Just thinking, Bob
operating

Post by operating »

The map needs to be corrected in the 1915 scenarios. German supply ships are marooned up in Norway because of a flaw in hex description, see below SS.

<EDIT>

In the 1915, 1916, and 1917 scenarios have the same problem with that hex, however, 1914 and 1918 scenarios do not. The MOD scenario will not boot up, so cannot tell if there is a problem there.

Attachments
ctgw_1420179685.jpg
ctgw_1420179685.jpg (287.25 KiB) Viewed 188 times
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: operating

The map needs to be corrected in the 1915 scenarios. German supply ships are marooned up in Norway because of a flaw in hex description, see below SS.

Attachments
ctgw_1420179537.jpg
ctgw_1420179537.jpg (328 KiB) Viewed 188 times
operating

Post by operating »

I forgot to mention that I have corrected the entrenchment level in the desert,it is now zero![:)]

Kirk, are you still considering changing desert hexes to "0" entrenchment? Personally, I do not think it should change. Reason being; The English would roll up the Turkey Sinai front in "NO TIME" without the terrain entrenchment benefit. Once Gaza is captured, the front slowly disintegrates, Turkey can not match Britain's PP or it's techs. My belief is that this region would surrender prematurely, throwing game balance off.
operating

Post by operating »

Kirk,

Finally figured out the route to scripts.

Question: Noticed that some Capital cities are not listed as having a NM loss if captured. What's the story with that? I remember you posted the NM changes that happened from their capture some time ago, has that changed. Mind you I never ventured into those Lua scripts before today.

Bob
operating

Post by operating »

Kirk, LZ, United Nations,

Me[8D] and the gang [8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][:)][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D] been wondering what's going on?

PS, And the rest of the Community[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8|][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
PSS< plus potential buyers: [8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][:D][8D]
[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
Ready to pull the trigger: [8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][;)][8D]
amtrick

Post by amtrick »

Quick note. Playing as Entente, SP. Used a small garrison sitting outside its city hex to finish off a German garrison unit. It then did the advance after combat, and ended up two hexes from the city hex. Is now immobile. Not a big deal since this is pretty much of a special case, but I wanted to point it out. Need to reiterate, though, that small garrisons still don't consume manpower points to repair. Means your "real" units have to whack them hard to actually hurt, since they get a 3 point repair each turn for free. You also might come off on the losing end of the deal if your "real" unit takes a loss in the attack and requires actual resources to repair.
RickD
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: amtrick

Quick note. Playing as Entente, SP. Used a small garrison sitting outside its city hex to finish off a German garrison unit. It then did the advance after combat, and ended up two hexes from the city hex. Is now immobile. Not a big deal since this is pretty much of a special case, but I wanted to point it out. Need to reiterate, though, that small garrisons still don't consume manpower points to repair. Means your "real" units have to whack them hard to actually hurt, since they get a 3 point repair each turn for free. You also might come off on the losing end of the deal if your "real" unit takes a loss in the attack and requires actual resources to repair.
If I understand you correctly; When the SG polished off the CP unit it had 2 choices from what you want it to do (For it does not advance into the vacated hex automatically). (one) You don't move SG after attack, or (2) You advance SG into vacated hex as a spoil of war/combat, but leaving it 2 hexes from a city hex.

To bring that SG back adjacent to a city hex on a follow up turn, you have to have a unit between the SG and the nearby city hex or one of it's surrounding hexes, once in position you are eligible to do a unit swap the following turn: garrison<SG as an example. After that is done the SG should move freely.

When SGs lose strength points they are counted towards that side's overall combat losses, which I believe will show in the Management window in Kills/loses, over time the tally effects NM or MP. I'll have to pay closer attention to be confident about the results..
amtrick

Post by amtrick »

To be clear, I did do the advance after combat, mostly out of curiosity to see if the SG would actually move to a "forbidden" hex.
RickD
MarechalJoffre

Post by MarechalJoffre »

Any news on when will the official release come out? Been waiting for it about a month now. I'm not being angry of any sorts, just being curious.
operating

Post by operating »

AdmiralSarek and myself (as CP) are in our 32nd turn of an MP match. He asks me what my NM is for Germany? I'm not obliged to release any information, regardless, I wrote 100 NM during an in game chat (we are having a very open game, his first in CTGW MP). He was then surprised that my NM should be so high after he had sunk both my Dreadnaught fleets very early in the game. When he sank those fleets my NM did go down to 100, I'm pretty sure, actually my NM should have gone down further than that (2 major fleets worth 30 NM each, times 2 should have been a 60 NM point loss). I believe the NM max is 144, no matter how many combat victories won and, or cities captured, so at the very least "my NM should have been 84 or lower". Can anybody from CTGW explain to myself and AdmiralSarek (plus others) why my score should not be lower?
operating

Post by operating »

Kirk,

Noticed that a Fort entrenchment level 13 never changes in spite ever increasing entrenchment techs. Is this intended or not? While I'm at it: Could a numbered system for entrenching be included to show each level of entrenching, instead of a "3" signifying the highest level. For when attacking enemy hexes, there is no indication that the hex has "pillbox" or higher level "concrete bunker" entrenchments, especially after reconnaissance which most everybody uses prior to an attack and, or to see what state/level of entrenchment rear trenches have. Also. what is confusing to me: When the enemy vacates a level 3 entrenched hex on his turn, then when it's my turn there is no entrenchment value left in the vacated hex, That strikes as being wrong.

Bob
operating

Post by operating »

60 turns in MP without game killing CTD, have 5 other matches going at the same time, no CTD on my side has stopped games. Although I have reports from the other side about crashes, but none fatal. It seems as though when a country losses NM, it is unable to increase it's NM, even after capturing several cities. The NM scale does not accurately reflect the game's NM wins and loses.
operating

Post by operating »

Kirk,

When Russia Surrenders, Finland forms an Independent country, yet it des not have a flag in the Diplomat window. Because it has no flag I can not "Declare War" on it to free trapped units in that new country, nor can I pass through it's hexes if able to make Finland an ally of CP.

On your agenda to get stuff done: Could you "Please" add Finland's flag to the Diplomat's window, also Finland may need to get it's own production window.

Thanks, Bob
operating

Post by operating »

If a country's "request for surrender" is accepted, then on a later turn that same country has "War Declared on it" by the side that accepted surrender, the penalty should be more than just giving 30 to 40 or so NM to defending country, it should also include a PP boost of let's say 30 or more PP, or perhaps a free tech upgrade to defending units. Mind you: if it was a country that had fleets, those fleets should be repatriated at full strength and upgraded at no cost, as deterrent to violating the "Surrender Treaty". I am as guilty as others of violating that Treaty, however there should be more consequences for doing so, perhaps including Diplomatic repercussions.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Sorry I have not been about recently, but my PC somehow got infected with a really bad Trojan Virus, which in affect deactivated my windows operating system,and then systematically started to infect all the programmes on my system. To solved this problem I resorted too doing a complete new install off Windows.Fortunately I have a complete backup of all my stuff,so nothing was lost.[;)]

That said I come bearing a gift,MANUAL CONTROL OFF CONVOYS![:D]

Attachments
Manualcon..Convoys..jpg
Manualcon..Convoys..jpg (208.5 KiB) Viewed 188 times
Make it so!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Sorry I have not been about recently, but my PC somehow got infected with a really bad Trojan Virus, which in affect deactivated my windows operating system,and then systematically started to infect all the programmes on my system. To solved this problem I resorted too doing a complete new install off Windows.Fortunately I have a complete backup of all my stuff,so nothing was lost.[;)]

That said I come bearing a gift,MANUAL CONTROL OFF CONVOYS![:D]

warspite1

Sounds promising! [:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815

Return to “Commander - The Great War”