Cannot unload in port = Destroyed unit?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Fallschirmjager

Cannot unload in port = Destroyed unit?

Post by Fallschirmjager »

I am not completely sure what happened here. Nor do I have a helpful save. I was playing the introduction Husky scenario and on turn 3 I was moving extra units into Sicily. The British special service brigade (I cannot remember the unit #) was trying to unload at Syracuse. I get a message stating they cannot unload due to port capacity. Okay, my mistake.
However the unit disappears. After searching for it, I realize it has been destroyed and appears back on Malta.

I did not get a message about a transport sinking. If this was the case, would the entire brigade go down due to one sinking?
Q-Ball

RE: Cannot unload in port = Destroyed unit?

Post by Q-Ball »

Did it disappear immediately, or did you leave it there and the end of your turn, and it disappeared later?
Fallschirmjager

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Did it disappear immediately, or did you leave it there and the end of your turn, and it disappeared later?

Immediately
I saw the message, cursed myself for not paying attention to port limits and then realized the unit had vanished. I was going to move it to another port since it had lots of movement points left, but there was nothing to move. It appeared back in Malta on the same turn.
The next turn it's TOE had filled out but at low exp.

I am still learning the game, so it has been a comedy of errors. I have a handful more of maybe they are bugs/maybe it is just me being bad at the game.

I don't think this is designed though.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

I can't think of any reason why the unit would be destroyed just by failing to unload. Can you go back to a save and try to repeat the situation?
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
gargoil

Post by gargoil »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

I can't think of any reason why the unit would be destroyed just by failing to unload. Can you go back to a save and try to repeat the situation?

Let me chime in that I can confirm the report. I have had this happen to me a couple of times.
Fallschirmjager

Joel, I have tried to repeat it but I cannot. Including using the same unit at the same sport. It might be a rare case of the exact number of movement points, along with the exact same port size and damage and the same number of port points left.
I will keep trying and see if I can uncover what happened and why.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

ORIGINAL: Gargoil

Let me chime in that I can confirm the report. I have had this happen to me a couple of times.

Was it with the same unit, or a different units each time?
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
gargoil

Post by gargoil »

ORIGINAL: Gargoil

Was it with the same unit, or a different units each time?

I will tell you what I remember without guessing. They were different units, both smaller then a division (Regiment/Brigade). I beleive one was a paratrooper and the other was a special forces unit. It happened on different turns (widely appart, 6 to 8 turns between the occurences). Both times I got the message of insufficient load capacity.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Saves would be nice (with steps to reproduce) for the devs to investigate.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”