The Ilmen Right Hook and the AI

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Devast8or

The Ilmen Right Hook and the AI

Post by Devast8or »

I’m playing Road to Leningrad against AI and trying to perform the Ilmen Right Hook, so far it’s been going well, I’ve used my Panzers to capture Pskov and run along the east bank of Volkhov river towards Volkhov and Novaya Ladoga.
Once my troops approached Volkhov river I detected a large presence of Soviet troops, it seems like the AI was establish a defensive line along the eastern bank. I positioned my divisions with one hex gap between so I could establish ZOC and prevent the Soviets from escaping.

The only way out for them was to use the 3 hex gap north of Kirshi, to my surprise the whole line teleported east and established itself east of my encircling forces. How is that possible? Is the AI being given an advantage here? When I tried to move one of my Inf Divisions in a gap between two Soviet divisions I had to pay 10 mov points out of 12 making it impossible to escape in one turn..
Also, now that I’m pushing to close the gap to Leningrad will it be enough to capture Novaya Ladoga port and cut the rail line to the north or do I have to take the port north of Novata Ladoga located next to the Finish no Attack line?

The goal here is to isolate all units in Leningrad area. What about ports in Leningrad? Will they still provide supply? They shouldn’t even though theoretically they could receive supply from the Baltic sea but given the fact that there are no other Soviet ports nearby would mean any Supply would have to come from Soviet ports in the North Sea (not on the map) . At this time I don’t see how such supply would come through and into the Baltic Sea without the Germans sinking it long before it even got close to Leningrad.

This post shows the situation prior to teleport.

Attachments
before_tele.jpg
before_tele.jpg (479.77 KiB) Viewed 33 times
Devast8or

RE: The Ilmen Right Hook and the AI

Post by Devast8or »

This picture shows how the entire line along the Volkhov river shifted east.

Attachments
aftertele.jpg
aftertele.jpg (498.76 KiB) Viewed 33 times
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

That is not good for the soviet they should have sent troops south of the Ilmen lake trying to stop the german's advance.

Michel.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

From the revised manual about Lake Ladoga

20.4.1.2. Supply Trace over Water Hexes
Supply trace over all water hexes requires a port to port connection, with at least one of the ports being on the supply grid. This over water trace is normally free of cost in the same manner as rail hexes are part of the supply grid. The exception to this is the Lake Ladoga Zone. In
Gary Grigsby's War in the East Manual v0.67 Oct 03, 2013
the Lake Ladoga Zone, port to port supply trace over all water hexes does incur movement point costs based on the current ice level as follows for movement from a water hex to a water hex:
„h No ice (level 0) = 1 MP
„h Loose ice (level 1-2) = 2 MPs
„h Thin ice (level 3-4) = 6 MPs
„h Frozen ice (level 5+) = 4 MPs
When tracing from a port hex to a water hex or a water hex to a port, the cost is equal to (24-port level)/4 rounded down (so a port 2 would cost 5 MPs). Once the supply path crosses Lake Ladoga, any additional over water tracing will incur these same costs (so a trace across Lake Ladoga to Leningrad and then to Oranienbaum will incur these additional costs in the hexes from Leningrad to Oranienbaum).
If the effective port value is reduced to less than one due to damage, then supplies may not be sent through that port. However, the port damage is reduced by 10% before the supply phase and only the smallest ports would have a value less than one after the 10% reduction in damage.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”