Stop Automatically Deploying Sonobuoys?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

ClaymoreV

Stop Automatically Deploying Sonobuoys?

Post by ClaymoreV »

Can I send an ASW asset off on an ASW mission and not have it deploy sonobuoys?

All that active pinging can give away more location information than I'd like.
Jabbman

RE: Stop Automatically Deploying Sonobuoys?

Post by Jabbman »

Passive sonobuoys don't ping!

You could set to a different type of patrol (AAW or ASuW for example). See if that works [;)]
ClaymoreV

Post by ClaymoreV »

Well ... not really an answer to my question. If an assets sonobuoys are capable of being used in the ACTIVE mode, then they are always deployed automatically that way.

You can request a manual drop in PASSIVE mode, but any ASW asset that joins an ASW mission will drop ACTIVE sonobuoys (if they have them).

Is there a way to assign an ASW aircraft to an ASW mission and request that it only drop sonobuoys in PASSIVE mode?
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Not yet sorry
FTBSS

Post by FTBSS »

You are not really giving up too much info as these sonobouys can be dropped from assets like a p-8 from a land base 1000 miles away also an active sonobouy could cause a sub to turn and run to avoid what surely a sub-commander expects next high speed screws in the water mk46, mk50, mk54. In other words even if the active sonar does not detect the sub right away it may force the sub to make more noise to enable other passive bouy's to pick up the sub. Even if it forces the sub to move from a favorable position for launching a devastating torpedo attack it has done its job.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”