SHC - SU for Krps HQ

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

SunTsu

SHC - SU for Krps HQ

Post by SunTsu »

In the early turns of the great war the russians use KrpsHQ wich will be disbanded later on. I am wondering if it would be reasonalbe to give them SU which will be sent to the ArmyHQ the KrpsHQ is linked to, when the KrpsHQ is being disbanded.

I am thinking of to do so because I want to make sure the SU will be used in battle and I am not sure if they will be used with the same chance if being linked to the next HQ in the commandline. So is the chance of use the same if the SU is linked to the Krps or to the Army or does SU linked to the direct HQ of a division are used with a higher chance?
loki100

RE: SHC - SU for Krps HQ

Post by loki100 »

Hi

my instinct is that nothing can improve Soviet performance in the first four turns, you're OOB will be in chaos as units and HQs are all over the place, so I really wouldn't waste admin pts moving SUs to the Corps.

best to save your admin to T5 when the armies are the normal command structure and shuffle SUs around to meet your needs at that stage
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: loki100

Hi

my instinct is that nothing can improve Soviet performance in the first four turns, you're OOB will be in chaos as units and HQs are all over the place, so I really wouldn't waste admin pts moving SUs to the Corps.

best to save your admin to T5 when the armies are the normal command structure and shuffle SUs around to meet your needs at that stage

....and the easiest way is to set support to zero for all HQs except STAVKA which should be 9. Support units should move back to STAVKA that way. Empty HQs Corp and Army HQ should be locked provided they are no HQs under them that still have support units attached. None of this applies to Construction and Sappers that have rules of they own. You have to move them manually.
Huw Jones

Post by Huw Jones »

I move some at certain points, to inflict a a few more casualties & slow the Axis advance slightly.

ANOTHER OPTION, MY PREFERRED is to disband the corp HQ, the units automatically then attach to Army HQ and the SUs as well.

SunTsu

Post by SunTsu »

ORIGINAL: loki100

It doesn't cost AP to give SU to an HQ if you move the Stavka into a certain range of the HQ and assign the SU from the Stavka (click Stavka, click on the SU you want to assign to an army and choose the army). For this I put the Stavka on rail so I can move it around.

But the question is also interesting for later. If I assign a SU to an army only this army can benefit from it. If I assign SU to Front HQ more armies maybe can benefit from the SU. So is the chance of taking part in battel the same in all HQ in command line?
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

AFIK (Axis only) support unit assigned to division will always commit. Assigned to higher HQs, lower probability the more intervening HQs. Good chance from corps, little chance from Army, seldom from AG, & OKH, maybe not ever.

But, for Soviets...
morvael

Post by morvael »

HQs send SUs to battle only when combat units attached directly to those HQs participate. Higher HQs should only have AA and construction SUs.

Assigning down the chain of command since 1.08 is free, using any method, so no need to rail STAVKA around.
BJP III

Post by BJP III »

ORIGINAL: morvael

HQs send SUs to battle only when combat units attached directly to those HQs participate. Higher HQs should only have AA and construction SUs.

Assigning down the chain of command since 1.08 is free, using any method, so no need to rail STAVKA around.

Is this a new rule? In the past, I thought I saw German Armies sending support unites to cxombat (esp the siege arty before it gets withdrawn).
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: morvael

For the Soviets I've found locking the Fronts gives much greater control over who gets what, particularly when Fronts ship out all of they AA. Downside is construction units won't move around and it does require greater micromanagement.
morvael

Post by morvael »

ORIGINAL: BJP III
Is this a new rule? In the past, I thought I saw German Armies sending support unites to cxombat (esp the siege arty before it gets withdrawn).

Not new, and always was in the manual. Maybe you think about automated movement of support units between HQs, then indeed armies will give (and take) support units to (and from) corps. That happens of course, but not during combat.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”