Winston Churchill 50th anniversary of death

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

pontiouspilot

Winston Churchill 50th anniversary of death

Post by pontiouspilot »

Today is the 50th anniversary of Winston's death....I plan on enjoying a couple good drinks of scotch tonite in remembrance...after several sherry for lunch!
warspite1

RE: Winston Churchill 50th anniversary of death

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

Today is the 50th anniversary of Winston's death....I plan on enjoying a couple good drinks of scotch tonite in remembrance...after several sherry for lunch!
warspite1

I'll join you in that pontious

Here's to Winston Spencer Churchill [&o] a great wartime leader and the right man in the right place at the right time [&o]

Attachments
22JanChurc..uote1940.jpg
22JanChurc..uote1940.jpg (82.61 KiB) Viewed 78 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
desicat

Post by desicat »

dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

What about breakfast, the most important meal of the day (or would that be "drink" of the day?)?
obvert

Post by obvert »

Here, Here! To Mr Churchill.

(pours a shot of Balvenie 14 yr and tips it back)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Here's to Winston Spencer Churchill [&o] a great wartime leader and the right man in the right place at the right time [&o]
You said it.

I hope you like Dalwhinnie Single Malt.

Cheers.

Attachments
140202D..byRalfR.jpg
140202D..byRalfR.jpg (96.41 KiB) Viewed 78 times
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

What about breakfast, the most important meal of the day (or would that be "drink" of the day?)?
Coupla snifters of Brandy!
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Symon

Post by Symon »

not you JeffK, you were just the last post.

Yes. And I remember all the little Euro pre-teen weasels celebrating Maggie Thatcher’s death. Don't be surprised if Sir Winston's remembrance is marred by marching idiots waving red flags.

Lo, how far you have fallen. Have a wonderful day, and make sure you don’t think any unauthorized thoughts.
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

I hope that these comments are not denigrating his life, just satirizing what may only be an urban myth about his drinking habits just as with US Grant.

While there are thousands of anecdotes about his drinking, are there any about him being drunk?

My view on WSC was that he was a Great, but flawed man, just like everyone else. I dont believe that he is responsible for all he is blamed for, but was responsible for many great things.

Somewhere in my files is a British Crown (5 shillings??) Coin minted at the time of his death.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

...and what a send-off....I watched a lot of it on video in The Churchill War Rooms a few years ago.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

A great man-one of the greatest. The free world was fortunate for his steady hand at that dark moment.
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

It's probably a god-send he wasn't sober!! A sober man would likely have given up.

This should evoke a Symonism....there is not a damm sign of any Churchill stuff on PBS, History Channel or even the BBC (overseas)!! At least CBC did a small tribute on the news this week with an interview of grand-daughter.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

It's interesting how many heavy drinkers (Churchill, US Grant, etc) did great things. And how many tea totalers (like Hitler) failed. Must be drink does something for you. I'll drink to that![:D]
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

He was always controversial. They kicked him out of office at the hour of victory.
Then they brought him back in 1951. I think more than half of his "brilliant" ideas were
ridiculous like slapping some extra armour on some older battleships and sending them
into the Baltic in 1940. He is most criticised for the Gallipoli fiasco which came within
a hair's breadth of victory, thwarted at the very last moment by another great, Kemal Ataturk.
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
tigercub

Post by tigercub »

Madam I may be drunk but in the morning I will sober and you will still be ugly (Winston Churchill)

one of my favourites.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
desicat

Post by desicat »

A Peace to End All Peace, page 154.

"After the battle of 18 March....the Ottoman Commanders decided their cause was lost....On shore the Turkish defending forces received orders to fire their remaining rounds of ammunition and abandon their coastal positions. If ADM de Robeck ... had plunged back into battle the second day he would have seen the enemy forces withdraw and melt away....The fleet would have steamed into Constantinople without opposition." Churchill was one ADM's decision away from knocking Turkey out of the war.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

The Gallipoli Campaign was one of the few (only?) decent strategic concepts devised during the war. The plan held within its grasp a real opportunity to end the carnage of the Western Front. It is doubly sad therefore that it's execution was so poor and that the fighting ended up being a repeat of the trench warfare in France and Belgium. That doesn't alter the fact that the idea was sound.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

Evidently he died the same day and nearly the same time as his father many years before. He had told people he believed he ws destined to die the same day as his father, those many years before.

I always questioned him as a pretendy general but there was no issue as to the power of his leadership.
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Symon

not you JeffK, you were just the last post.

Yes. And I remember all the little Euro pre-teen weasels celebrating Maggie Thatcher’s death. Don't be surprised if Sir Winston's remembrance is marred by marching idiots waving red flags.

Lo, how far you have fallen. Have a wonderful day, and make sure you don’t think any unauthorized thoughts.

I really shouldn't merit this with a response, but you really need to grasp the idea that someone holding ideas that differ from your own doesn't make your own ideas superior in any way, shape or form.
ORIGINAL: warspite1
ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

warspite1

I think, at last, we can agree on something in regards to that.

His achivements (seeing through appeasement, his leadership in WW2) are such that they overshadow the mistakes that the man made (Gallipoli, the Bengal famine, & Ireland).

I think it's important that we don't forget the fact that Churchill was far from a one-dimensional character.
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

I think the world would be a worse place without him - England may have made peace and then the War in Europe would have been very different.

This may be subscriber only - one conservative magazine writer's take:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/ ... 24305.html
Bill Goin

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”