New Gun

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Zap

New Gun

Post by Zap »

Interesting, what would be its use
http://sploid.gizmodo.com/us-navy-to-pu ... 1681499812
Zorch

RE: New Gun

Post by Zorch »

Reminds me of the US Dynamite gun, mounted on the aptly named USS Vesuvius: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamite_gun

Attachments
vesuvius.jpg
vesuvius.jpg (252.14 KiB) Viewed 35 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Zap

Interesting, what would be its use
http://sploid.gizmodo.com/us-navy-to-pu ... 1681499812

Wow! I bet that'd hurt if it hit you. [X(]
berto

Post by berto »

The formidable electromagnetic cannon launches solid projectiles over 100 nautical miles at more than six times the speed of sound.
Over such vast range, how accurate can the targeting be? I fail to see how this would improve on guided, smart weapons like cruise missiles. As a shorter range, tactical weapon, yes, maybe. As a long range weapon, I have my doubts.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
operating

Post by operating »

Berto, It's one of those smart rounds...
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

When firing at fixed targets it would be devastating and could be accurate. Against moving targets not so much.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Over such vast range, how accurate can the targeting be? I fail to see how this would improve on guided, smart weapons like cruise missiles.

One significant advantage in our current era of sequestered budgets: it would be a lot cheaper per round.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

You all seem to forget that without smart rounds are artillery and naval fire has always been damn accurate. In Vietnam 50 years ago rounds from artillery 25 miles away could be dropped in front of Infantry squads on target and danger close.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

You all seem to forget that without smart rounds are artillery and naval fire has always been damn accurate. In Vietnam 50 years ago rounds from artillery 25 miles away could be dropped in front of Infantry squads on target and danger close.
Now indirect artillery fire can be landed with accuracy of a room inside the building.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

One of the big advantages of the RG round is that it uses no explosives, either for launch or impact as the kinetic energy released is enough to destroy most targets. Think of a meteor and how big of an energy release occurs when it hits the Earth or atmosphere. Now I'm sure all of you will see how much additional ammo can be carried without the danger of explosives and the cost of each round is dramatically decreased.
Zap

Post by Zap »

I get that its less expensive and safer. What I don't understand is it has no explosion? From the video its penetrates three cement slabs. But for example the gun being used against a ship it penetrates but does little damage.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Probably not used against ships but think about it if it penetrated 3 cement slabs what do you think it will do to a ship? Pass right through it and at mach 3 it will kill maim or destroy any thing near it.
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

Probably not used against ships but think about it if it penetrated 3 cement slabs what do you think it will do to a ship? Pass right through it and at mach 3 it will kill maim or destroy any thing near it.

Should be fantastic for all those ship to ship engagements the USN has been during the war on terror.
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

Double post
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Should be fantastic for all those ship to ship engagements the USN has been during the war on terror.
Ya we only have a couple enemies that even have ships. This is mostly for shore bombardment I would think.
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

Penetration and transfer of kinetic energy is dependent upon the material that the projectile is made of. Think about a bullet, hollow point, and the mushrooming effect.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Ya we only have a couple enemies that even have ships. This is mostly for shore bombardment I would think.

Now. By the time it takes to get any new weapons system into service these days, who knows?

Return to “General Discussion”