Possible corruption in Andy's updated Scen 1.

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

stretch

Possible corruption in Andy's updated Scen 1.

Post by stretch »

I felt this might potentially affect enough folks I'd make a new thread here, Mods move to tech support if you think it should go there.

After my thread on "Ship screen ammo question" I decided to investigate how this happened. Here's what I did, and what I found.

1. Deleted my entire War in the Pacific Admirals edition directory. Totally fresh start.
2. Clean installed with my original download.
3. Installed latest official patch
4. Installed latest beta

- Loaded game, scenario 1, historical 1st turn. Allowed it to finish.
- Inspect SS O-16, hex 54,99. it looks fine, devices, ammo, numbers in parenthesis appear as it should.

exit game.

5. Install Andy Mac's updated scenario #1 from This Thread post #10, I even did a fresh download.

- Loaded game, scenario 1, historical 1st turn. Allowed it to finish.
- Inspect SS O-16, hex 54,99. it now looks corrupted as in my other thread. First 53.3cm torpedo device num is red x2, numbers in parenthesis appear incorrectly with (18) next to the 4th 53.5cm torpedo ammo, 2 (NA) for Mine ammo, the whole Mine line is messed up exactly as in my screenshot in previous thread.

This appears to be an issue with the scenario files themselves. Can anyone who has a game running with no Babes, Stock + Andy's update, check on this? I checked a couple of other dutch subs and this corruption is there as well. But the surface ships I checked looked fine.
btd64

RE: Possible corruption in Andy's updated Scen 1.

Post by btd64 »

Don't have time at the moment, but take a look in the editor and see if the devices have the same data. If so, update and save as your own scenario. At least until andy see this and fixes....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
stretch

Post by stretch »

I just opened it up and it looks fine. Yet the corruption I have seen is repeatable. I've done it 3 times, twice on purpose. Could something be happening during the first turn execution that's corrupting it?

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

It's possible. I have seen rare, but occasional data corruption. I've never seen it repeatable though.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
stretch

Post by stretch »

Since I am not doing anything in the game other than starting, historical, and letting the first turn run to completion, either I've got a corrupt file (though the scenario looks fine in the editor) or others should see the same thing.

If there's anything I can do to help pin this down, let me know, I'm glad to help.
Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: wdolson
It's possible. I have seen rare, but occasional data corruption. I've never seen it repeatable though.

Bill
Hello Bill.
Yes, I've seen some pretty serious data corruption from the last couple of betas, on a regular basis. Don't know why or where, but It exists. The more the exe is tweaked for the forum screamers, the more unstable it becomes. It is an issue. And you know it. PM either me or Joe Wilkerson. This has gotten out of hand and has to stop.
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
Rafid

Post by Rafid »

I looked into my recently started game with Andy's updated Scenario 1 and found the same Problem as stretch. I did some digging and found what I think is the cause of the problem. I prepared a picture to show the problem graphically, but the forum will not let me post pictures before I had 10 posts. If somebody is interested I can send it by pm or email.

In writing: Andy (or somebody else) seems to have edited the O16 class (class 237) but not O16 herself (ship 4904). In the class Weapon 4 (used to be a torpedo) is a Bofor with possible 18 ammunition, but the actual O16 ship still has a torpedo (ammunition 2) in that slot. The Bofor is weapon 7 in the ship, but the class has no weapon 7 at all (hence no max ammunition).

To test my theory I changed the O16 class back to what she used to be (and hence matched the O16 ship) and the problem is gone.

That serves as a work around, but with your permission stretch I would like to post our findings in the scenario update thread. Andy most likely had something in mind, when he edited the O16 class and should decide, whether the class or the ship needs to be adjusted.
Ormbane

Post by Ormbane »

I can't say anything about what the problems may or may not be with the mod scenarios bu Rafid's post reminded me of something I had seen while tinkering with the editor. I noticed that if I made a change to a ship class the change did not get reflected in ships of that class unless I went to the individual ships and reset each one to the class it was supposed to be. It would be easy to miss one out of a collection.
stretch

Post by stretch »

Great find, Rafid, I didn't think to check the class vs the ship. By all means post in the scenario update thread. So it appears the issue may be limited to the one class, which if true is a relief as it won't widely impact games that were started with the inconsistency.
Rafid

Post by Rafid »

Ormbane, I did not know you could reset a ship like that. So I tried that as well, and reset O16 to the O16 class. Started a game and she had sensible ammunition (with the slightly changed weapon setup). By now I am quiet convinced that it is a general problem with the scenario database (specifically the ship and her class not matching) and not a case of database corruption.
stretch

Post by stretch »

It also appears the O16 class is just the one ship. The other dutch sub classes on map Dec 8. 1941 all look ok.

So, I think I will just play on. Takes too long to re-do that first turn as the Allies to start all over just for one ship. (oops, Boat)
Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: Rafid
In writing: Andy (or somebody else) seems to have edited the O16 class (class 237) but not O16 herself (ship 4904).
Nobody edited anything, little fellow. Andy's scenarios have been working for people for two and a half years. HELLO !!! There may a glitch somewhere, in the code. The forum has jerked michaelm into oblivion with its demands, so no wonder. The game executable has now become marginally unstable. Hope you all like the result.
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
stretch

Post by stretch »

I looked at Andy's updated #1 scenario with the editor as well and I confirm Rafid's finding. The O16 class, and the single ship in that class, the O16 (of course) have different device definitions. Opening and looking at Scen 26 (Babes lite B) they are the same. It's clearly an accidental inconsistency in Andy's #1 scenario update that luckily only impacts the one boat.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I believe the problem was found in an add on version of Andy's scenarios that Andy released outside of the official scenarios, much like the Babes.

The O16 classes are OK in my stock and Babes scenarios, but one difference from the Babes and stock in my set is the Babes has the torpedo tubes broken out. Support for this was in one of the early patches and it allowed subs to fire less than a full spread at targets. Babes immediately adopted this, and other scenarios have been updated over time.

I think in at least one version of the Iron Man add on scenarios O16 had a glitch in breaking out the tubes. I don't happen to have that scenario at the moment, so I can't look. I need to run, so I won't be able to download it and check for a while.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
stretch

Post by stretch »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I believe the problem was found in an add on version of Andy's scenarios that Andy released outside of the official scenarios, much like the Babes.

That's correct. My opening post in this thread has a direct link to the download in the thread where Andy posted the unofficial updates.

Looks like it's a minor problem overall, when I first found it I feared worse. If I'd known at the time it was just data for a single vessel I wouldn't have made such a hullabaloo.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”