RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Universe

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

ASHBERY76

RE: Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Universe

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Its a shame the game does not have cloaking or advanced diplomacy where you could politically annex species.Diplomacy is very lacking for the federation ala BOTF.
Knickers

Post by Knickers »

Yeah but it would be exceedingly complex to do such a thing however. Instead, it looks like they made it so the Federation is comprised of a few core races excluding the Andorians for some reason, and they operate as a normal empire. Perhaps they could change the game settings so that there are Tellarites, Andorians, and Vulcans, and that they naturally like the Federation and each other very well so they sort of make their own strong alliance.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Knickers

Yeah but it would be exceedingly complex to do such a thing however. Instead, it looks like they made it so the Federation is comprised of a few core races excluding the Andorians for some reason, and they operate as a normal empire. Perhaps they could change the game settings so that there are Tellarites, Andorians, and Vulcans, and that they naturally like the Federation and each other very well so they sort of make their own strong alliance.
Wow Knickers, are you psychic? LOL!

In actuality that is what I've ALMOST done in Version 2.0's UFP Scenario map. As you must know, being a
DW beta tester for so long, I know the game mechanics pretty well (what can and cannot be done in the game). So to have a 'close to canon' representation, that's basically what I've done. In the 1400 x 1000 star map scenario, the Federation consists of Humans, Tellarites, Vulcans, Bolians, Trills, and Betazoids (in Character composition and representation only).

The Bajorans, Andorians, Benzites and Ktarians are all separate races in either strongly biased Mutual Defense Pacts, Protectorates or Free Trade Agreements at game start. Teetering on the edge are the Klingons, Sheliak and Tamarians. Whereas the Ferengi and Yridians are the Mercantile Guild trading (and spying) races. Then we have similarly the 'Dominion War' coalitions also. The Dominion, Breen, Cardassian, and Nausicaans. I won't spoil it all by telling the rest...okay, just a small bit; don't
forget about some of the evil races. The Gorn, Kazon, and others. We won't mention the roles Borg or Species 8472 play shall we...naw!
That's enough! Let me get back to finishing testing so I can release this beast!

@Ashbery76:
Yes, you know that the game mechanics and limited Cloaking Module that's in the game doesn't allow me to 'truly' create a genuine cloaking device for the Klingons and Romulans unfortunately. Hopefully in the future with DW2 (or whatever Elliot names it)!
[:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Henzington

Post by Henzington »

I always thought it was odd the way the redid canon to put the Romulans and the Klingons in the beta quartent.
thefinn12345

Post by thefinn12345 »

Is it even really possible to beat the borg as bajorans ?

They seem to have smashed proper military forces larger and better than mine way before I even get carriers.
Knickers

Post by Knickers »

Cool, I'm looking forward to it!
Knickers

Post by Knickers »

The Bajorans are such a funny race in the current released build, whenever you send them a monetary gift they respond with "thank you, these will help our orphans" or something like that haha. That is such a cheesy Bajoran line
thefinn12345

Post by thefinn12345 »

Hilarious, I hadn't noticed it yet.
Knickers

Post by Knickers »

Do you have a new estimate as to the release time?
thefinn12345

Post by thefinn12345 »

I'd also love to know.
jockmcplop

Post by jockmcplop »

This mod is the best Star Trek experience i ever had in a video game. Its absolutely brilliant. I'm super thankful for all the hard work the modders do to get us this for free.

Having said that, i havne't been able to play DWU since the beginning of December now because the mod is consistently been less than a week from release .
I honestly don't mind if it takes another month to finish and get right, that's cool, but please let us know so i can at least start a new game in the meantime :)

Again i don't want to seem ungrateful or impatient, i just want to play some strategy!
Henzington

Post by Henzington »

From what I have seen on Das lets play some great additions to the mod.
Sabretooth

Post by Sabretooth »

Hi there,

I've tried this mod now for a couple of games, but I'm still wondering about some details and would be pleased if someone could enlighten me. ;)
As a matter of lucidity, I'll just list my questions and remarks line by line.
- What's the reason for more than 60% of the races having periodic change intervals?
- Why does the growth rate have such an enormous wide range for different races, from 3% to 33%, during change intervals even 40%?
- Certain race advantages are used for almost every race, e.g. 'Cunning Schemers', and have values that don't seem to be in canon.
- Some modified ressource pics got a slightly wrong background color, it should be RGB = 21,21,28
- Are you aware that the initial traits for characters most of the time ignore the settings in the races files?
- Do you know that there are lots of characters with skills they could never gain normally because of character type restrictions?
- Don't you think that the so-called small races, like Tamarians, Ktarians or Yridians should rather be set to non-expanding and not be playable? (This would be much more in canon ;) )

Well, I could think of even more but that should be enough for now :D
I'd really like to see your replies, and good luck to every1 involved in this mod!
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Sabretooth
Hi there,
I've tried this mod now for a couple of games, but I'm still wondering about some details and would be pleased if someone could enlighten me. ;)
As a matter of lucidity, I'll just list my questions and remarks line by line.
- What's the reason for more than 60% of the races having periodic change intervals?
** It affects play balance, racial bias reactions and victory conditions concerning the races. Tweaked and changed in Version 2.0

- Why does the growth rate have such an enormous wide range for different races, from 3% to 33%, during change intervals even 40%?
** Same answer as above, plus also, so that a game with the Shakturi active or Pre-Warp works as Elliot
intended without altering the game balance too severely.

- Certain race advantages are used for almost every race, e.g. 'Cunning Schemers', and have values that don't seem to be in canon.
** All races for any mod is based off the original DW Vanilla race design. Most of it is game hard-coded. So we did out best to make everything work. Close, like with a hand grenade, you just need to get "close enough".

- Some modified ressource pics got a slightly wrong background color, it should be RGB = 21,21,28
** Not at all concerned about that. Our mod is made so that if a player doesn't like or agree with a UI
pic it can be altered. In addition, any UI mod, such as Das123's as shown in his "Let's Play" YouTube
is compatible.

- Are you aware that the initial traits for characters most of the time ignore the settings in the races files?
** Respectfully speaking, yes, we made the mod and have "tweaked" numerous characters in different ways for the game. There
are two different files in the game that affect each race, the character and race files. Certain settings in one will override
the other. Also, in the implementation of DW:Universe update 1.9.5.9, there are race events that happen that can (and do) affect
character makeup, actions and even existence (i.e they can be killed).

- Do you know that there are lots of characters with skills they could never gain normally because of character type restrictions?
** Again, same answer as above. In addition, at times it puts just the right "spice" in the game and give some minor races the ability to be
a true threat, especially in the Pre-warp game.

- Don't you think that the so-called small races, like Tamarians, Ktarians or Yridians should rather be set to non-expanding and not be playable? (This would be much more in canon ;) )
** If you've taken time to read this thread in it's entirety, you would know that our stance is (as Spock would say) "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few...or the one" Plus, I've previously mentioned in the thread that our mod is confined to the constraints that the Distant Worlds game-play, game design, and game engine allow us to do. Such as the need to have Ursidian, Insectoid, Human, Reptilian, etcetera races represented in the game for the game balance to work whether the game selected is Pre-warp, Ancient Galaxy, Close to canon, Non-canon with Shakturi, etc. In other words the ability to play Star Trek The Picard Era in any DW game mode one chooses. Very well done overall we've been told. In addition,
I myself don't see why any of those aforementioned races would be considered static (non-expanding) in canon's light (possibly the Ktarians, okay, but
to think Tamarians and Yridians don't colonize??? Not!). The Children of Tama (Tamarians) ship was as strong or stronger tech wise as the Enterprise.

Well, I could think of even more but that should be enough for now :D
** Just remember that we did not create and design this mod to make everything in anyone's specific viewpoint of canon, non-canon, etcetera. We've
attempted, and I believe achieved, a happy medium on ALL fronts. Depth of immersion is in the eye and mind of the beholder. Version 1.0 was put out
as an teenager of sorts. Version 2.0 will be a much more mature version.

I'd really like to see your replies, and good luck to every1 involved in this mod!
** Replies provided! My apologies if any seemed overly harsh in any of my responses. Thanks for your best wishes!

Hope these answers are what you needed Sabretooth. Have a great day! (Guten tag)
Kabbers

Post by Kabbers »

Nero: I've been waiting for this day my whole life... This day of reckoning.

Kabbers hehe x
Knickers

Post by Knickers »

Where is my sexy 2.0 mod? Got a new ETA?
Kabbers

Post by Kabbers »

"Captain's log, stardate 56844.9.
The Enterprise has arrived at Romulus and is waiting at the designated coordinates.
All our hails have gone unanswered.
We've been waiting for seventeen hours."

(from Nemesis)

Of course all our hails have been "very well answered"... I'm just showing some more cheer and anticipation for the mod, when it's ready, during this interregnum )

best wishes, Kabbers X
patapata

Post by patapata »

Can't wait for v2.0 release! Checking forum daily and trying hard to be patient. [:)] There is something I wanted to ask, ehsumrell1. How would the new version's tech tree look like in comparison to vanilla/previous MOD release? With the new possibilities of the newest game version I was kinda hoping the tech tree to have gazillion more tech research options as per other MODs I have seen here on forums. Could you please elaborate on v2.0 features in more detail than found on the first page? Thanks! [:)] Keep up the great and invaluable work you are doing for this community! [&o]
Kidnapper: "God and heaven help us..."
The doctor: "Divine intervention is... unlikely."
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Hello Trek fans and our mod community faithful followers. [&o]

Doing my utmost to prepare for release. Our Pre-release Candidate has undergone testing and
is passing with flying colors. One large UFP map will be included in Version 2.0 and if time
permits me, I will put out a smaller 700 star map in the upcoming weeks and provide a link to
that separately. I'm currently anticipating a release this Super Bowl Sunday evening.

I just want to take the time to thank you all for all of your kind wishes and words of encouragement,
your suggestions, constructive criticism, and supportive comments. Also your patience. We wanted to
get this out sooner and had planned to do so, but a death in my family and a few other things called
"life" took priority. Nevertheless, we're nearly there, and I'm hoping you like what you see. From the
views I see that Das24680 has received on his (currently) 8 episodes of Let's Play The Picard Era Ver 2
on his YouTube channel, there has been high interest.

In the meantime, just FYI, our next project, Star Trek The Kirk Era mod for DW:Universe will begin
soon. Hopefully, it will be as well accepted from the Star Trek gaming community as The Picard Era has.
Please continue to support Elliot, Erik and the Distant Worlds series!

In the interim, for those of you that may not be aware of what's "in the pipe" for Star Trek, please
enjoy watching what I feel will be one of the best Star Trek movies to come. It is about the 4 year
war concerning the Federation and the Klingons in the time gap between the Captain Archer "Enterprise"
series and right before the Captain Kirk era begins. I hope you enjoy it! See you in a new thread Sunday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA
hewwo

Post by hewwo »

Whoooooo!

Return to “Design and Modding”