Need help installing map mod

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

TomBombadil711

Need help installing map mod

Post by TomBombadil711 »

Hello,

I would like to install the GJK map mod but cannot get it to work after copying the download files into the graphics folder of my TOAW4 installation. I noticed there are only bmp files included in the download at gamesquad, no png files. When I start a scenario only the old map files are to be seen. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Tom
larryfulkerson

RE: Need help installing map mod

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: TomBombadil711

Hello,

I would like to install the GJK map mod but cannot get it to work after copying the download files into the graphics folder of my
TOAW4 installation. I noticed there are only bmp files included in the download at gamesquad, no png files. When I start a scenario only the old map files are to be seen. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Tom
Hey Tom dude:
I'm pretty sure you meant TOAW3 because that's as high as they go so far. Anyway, I've got my map mod files in the altgraphics
folder. It's in there and not the graphics folder because the "graphics" folder is for the original unmodded files and the altgraphics
folder, it's my understanding you see, is for the files you want to use instead of the original ones. I have no idea why they didn't
work when you put them in your graphics folder. Try putting them in the equipment file folder inside the graphics folder.
Lemme know if you still have issues.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

You copied the files to the Graphics dircectory, right? As Larry says these files belong into AltGraphics. The GJK graphic files are .BMP files. The modified files in Graphics won't be used because they reside side by side with the according .PNG graphic files. If you have .PNG support on, the engine will always use the PNG files instead of the BMP files in cases they exist both in the same folder. If you copy the BMP files into AltGraphics the game will use these (as long as no according PNG files exist in AltGraphics).

Example: You have two identically named files in Graphics: tiles_misc.bmp and tiles_misc.png. With PNG support on, the game will use the .png file. With PNG support off, the .bmp file will be used. If you have tiles_misc.bmp (and no tiles_misc.png) in AltGraphics it will be used despite PNG support on due to folder hierarchy, overriding what is in the Graphics directory. However if you have both, tiles_misc.png and .bmp in AltGraphics, the PNG file will be used except you turn PNG support off.
TomBombadil711

Post by TomBombadil711 »

Thank you both for your replies! Copying the files into the AltGraphics folder of my TOAW 3 [:)] game worked fine.

I guess this is also the correct folder for unit counter mods and everything else modifying graphics?
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: TomBombadil711
Thank you both for your replies! Copying the files into the AltGraphics folder of my TOAW 3 [:)] game worked fine.

I guess this is also the correct folder for unit counter mods and everything else modifying graphics?
Yep. My understanding is that the AltGraphicsw folder is the overrider for anything in the graphics folder so you can
change your GUI, and the font, and the color of the background, etc. It's pretty flexible. My kudos to Ralph.

EDIT: Just drop me an email if you see a scenario you want to try. I'll send it to you free.

Here's how you change the specific terrain hexes in a specific scenario.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (62.18 KiB) Viewed 102 times
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
Nukes

Post by Nukes »

"I'm not following you big Dan." O Brother Where Art Thou? I've got map mod files in my Altgraphics folder from the TOAW beachhead and they don't work. Of course I know its my fault, just don't know what I've done wrong.
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

ORIGINAL: Nukes

"I'm not following you big Dan." O Brother Where Art Thou? I've got map mod files in my Altgraphics folder from the TOAW beachhead and they don't work. Of course I know its my fault, just don't know what I've done wrong.

Do you have PNG support on?

Can you show a screenshot of your AltGraphics folder?
Nukes

Post by Nukes »

Thank you for replying. I am not at home right now so I will screenshot that later. Much thanks.
Nukes

Post by Nukes »

Oh and by the way, how do you turn PNG support on? (Do not insert adult pun here).
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

Oh and by the way, how do you turn PNG support on? (Do not insert adult pun here).

It's one of the settings in the options menu.
Nukes

Post by Nukes »

Does it state PNG support? I cannot find it.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

[;)]

Attachments
jpeg10.jpg
jpeg10.jpg (54.38 KiB) Viewed 102 times
Nukes

Post by Nukes »

I do not have any of that in my advanced game options.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

I do not have any of that in my advanced game options.
Make sure you got TOAW 3.4 installed.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Nukes

Post by Nukes »

That was it. Danke.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”