How to reduce casulties from Japanese coastal guns?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Jakerson

How to reduce casulties from Japanese coastal guns?

Post by Jakerson »

When you are doing amphibious operations is there way to reduce casulties from coastal guns?
dr.hal

RE: How to reduce casulties from Japanese coastal guns?

Post by dr.hal »

Have heavy surface units in with the Amphib TF providing NGFS. It is best to have the older BBs, but CAs would do if needs be. The BBs absorb the attention of the coastal guns and usually are not hurt by them much (of course depends upon the size of the coastal artillery, but usually it takes something over 8 inches to hurt the BBs). This will allow your vulnerable AKs and APs to discharge their passengers and cargo with little attention (although never ZERO attention!).
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Have heavy surface units in with the Amphib TF providing NGFS.

Is the key here that the BBs are in the exact same TF as the amph -- not just active in the same hex? BTW what does NGFS mean?
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Yes, put them directly into the invasion TF and they will counter battery shore defenses and suppress them. One is usually enough but if you suspect very heavy CD defenses then more is better. A lot of shore guns will cause the supporting surface units to use up all their ammo so if you have large two day invasion planned have some fresh ships there in a surface TF to swap out on the second day.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

Another trick, though somewhat gamey, for an extended phib assault:
If a transport gets seriously damaged during the 1st day, leave it in the unloading TF, as you swap other ships in & out. A burning transport will tend to attract add'l hits.
NGFS = Naval GunFire Support
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Unless you are playing 2 or 3 day turns [:D]
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

ORIGINAL: jwolf
BTW what does NGFS mean?
Sorry, I shouldn't use things like that assuming everyone understands. "jmalter" is correct. You can see the NGFS in the combat replay when your ships fire on the shore batteries and you see the splashes (hopefully that's all) around your ships from those batteries. Note that even transports seem to join in the fun in providing gun support (although I don't know of any of them doing so during the real campaign, but I could definitely be wrong!). Hal
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Sending in one or more bombardment missions before the landing can also knock down the CD guns.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
tigercub

Post by tigercub »

don't load Supply with ships carrying units they burn like bush fires when hit use other ships to do that job!

Tigercub
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

don't load Supply with ships carrying units they burn like bush fires when hit use other ships to do that job!

Interesting, never thought of that.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Invade somewhere else.[:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Cut off their supply, bomb, bomb, bombard, bomb, bomb, bombard, bomb, bombard, bomb..... Make sure you bomb the port and ground attacks that's what knocks out their guns, also disrupts the so and so's.

Did I mention bomb and bombard?

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

Cut off their supply, bomb, bomb, bombard, bomb, bomb, bombard, bomb, bombard, bomb..... Make sure you bomb the port and ground attacks that's what knocks out their guns, also disrupts the so and so's.

Did I mention bomb and bombard?

Roger

Or just put an old BB in the invasion force and invade away. Really there are very few Japanese CD units in the game that present any threat. A few to keep an eye on but most places can be invaded without extensive bombardments and delay. Now atolls are another story but not just because of CD guns.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

I was thinking especially of Atolls....

A particular bete noir with me.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Roger,
Don't forget to BOMB AND BOMBARD.[:D]....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

You know when you have that nagging feeling you have forgotten something......?

Roger
Jakerson

Post by Jakerson »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Have heavy surface units in with the Amphib TF providing NGFS. It is best to have the older BBs, but CAs would do if needs be. The BBs absorb the attention of the coastal guns and usually are not hurt by them much (of course depends upon the size of the coastal artillery, but usually it takes something over 8 inches to hurt the BBs). This will allow your vulnerable AKs and APs to discharge their passengers and cargo with little attention (although never ZERO attention!).

This is quite good tip I never figured that you have good use for those older type of BBs and CAs I normally dont use them much as they are so much slower that new ships but in amhib TF it wont matter that much. [:)]
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

Does supply really burn? I know oil does, but supply? Most of it isn't gasoline.
Bill Goin
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Paratroopers.
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

ORIGINAL: tigercub
I disagree, tigercub - you need Supply when conducting an amphib assault. But def'nitely avoid having any Fuel loaded on any ships that are carrying troops, in either an Amph or TranTF. I'm convinced that enemy CD guns can sniff out & target the fuel-load, hits will cause fires, & the fires will attract more hits!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”