GD1938 Game 14 AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

Vic

RE: GD1938 Game 14 AAR

Post by Vic »

Newsflash: China losing huge masses of conscripts and now facing Japanese medium tanks. But Bangkok was taken by storm! And Calcutta has been evacuated to be returned to the British Empire.
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

September 1939 Germans

London fell to a Mix of German armies elements of two panzer 4th and 7th and the 1st Infantry Army. Once isolated London's fall was inevitable, despite the efforts of the defenders. Plymouth succumbed eventually the remnant pushed off Lands End into the Atlantic, brave defending and a sad end to the French Mobile forces.

Attachments
london.jpg
london.jpg (276.91 KiB) Viewed 112 times
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Glasgow and the Aircraft factory to the north west are the next objectives, the Irish towns are also under consideration. And operations in the wings.

Japan has made a appearance on the European theatre as much as a shock to the Germans as it is to the Portugese to have Asia turn up on their shores, rather than the other way around.

Christinau Still holds made easier by the arrival of large numbers of BF109e's, the panzer divisions saw there first successful action this month.

Attachments
UK.jpg
UK.jpg (210.52 KiB) Viewed 112 times
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Poland has joined the Allies and is preparing to join the effort against Germany.

Great Britain now holds only bits of northern Scotland, including Glasgow and Scapa Flow. We are now preparing to make war from the Empire, but one day we hope to return home.

We are moving into the old Portuguese African colonies. Japan gained these territories when she influenced Portugal to join her. We cannot allow these locations to be held by a nation we are at war with.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Chinese forces managed to hurt the northern Japanese tank force. It seems Light Tanks III can beat early medium Tanks.
In the south the Chinese managed to encircle Hangchow and reduce its port to 2000 (of 6000) structural points.

One question to the group: This is first GD38 game I play and I have no idea about alliance victory house rules? whats the deal here? If one of allies win all allies win?

Best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

As far as I know, and i programmed the victory conditions, there are no alliance victories. There are only individual victories, and the rules you make in case someone triggers a victory or not.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: Vic

Chinese forces managed to hurt the northern Japanese tank force. It seems Light Tanks III can beat early medium Tanks.
In the south the Chinese managed to encircle Hangchow and reduce its port to 2000 (of 6000) structural points.

One question to the group: This is first GD38 game I play and I have no idea about alliance victory house rules? whats the deal here? If one of allies win all allies win?

Best wishes,
Vic
The Japanese original medium tank is thin skinned and poorly armed. Most of the Japanese specific tanks are poorly armored.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

October 1939 Germany

Belfast was captured as were the Cammell Laird Shipyards. Leaving only Scapa Flow and Glasgow on the UK mainland in British hands. The British Campaign is winding down with German armies available to be released to other theatres.

Busy diplomatic month attempts to prevent War with the USA as the DOW on Southern Ireland triggered a War with the US via there alliance with the UK. Not a deliberate move but a consequence of securing Western Europe against a future invasion from the British.

German Power is gradually rising after some earlier heavy losses in the campaigns in France and the British isles.

The Front in Rumania appears stable with the Soviet Armor unwilling to commit to major offensive operations with substantial German airpower in the area.

Attachments
power.jpg
power.jpg (242.78 KiB) Viewed 112 times

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

@Vic,

With regard to alliance victory rules : Some players play to win a victory based on the GD1938 conditions, and others use a broader scope such as imagining the post-war world based on the game's end state. My experience is that once a "winner" is seen, the consensus is reached to end the game, but some games have ended with a victory set achieved by GD1938 conditions. Game Six ended when the Chinese achieved a victory GD1838 style.

This difference in viewing victory can cause some confusion as games get along in years.

Chuck
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Glasgow still holds, as does Dublin, but the Germans are only a step away from taking it all.

The Germans are fighting very well, and little details are not being neglected. This does not bode well for the future.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

In the Far East the Americans have made peace with Japan, and the British have followed suit.

The British and Chinese clashed over their border, but peace is expected on that front too.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Newsflash: The Chinese armies have captured Saigon and did fierce combat on the main continent.

Furthermore Fighter I has been researched, but lol.. in fact those airplanes are weaker than the i-16's we already have.

Also German diplomats have been seen close to the Nationalist Chinese Command HQs. It seems the Chinese government is taking its time to respond to them... ;)
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Furthermore Fighter I has been researched, but lol.. in fact those airplanes are weaker than the i-16's we already have.

Yes, this is a rather convoluted issue. We have tried to simulate the Soviets helping China, in the form of volunteers and planes, by making I-16 type 10s producable, at a higher cost, than the cost of the fighter I and fighter II you can research on your own. But I see the paradox, and the reason for not wanting to research stuff you are given for free, albeit at a cost. A new method of simulating this help is in the works, which would entail that at some point China, does not get to get I-16 type 10s, or any other soviet aircraft, because of the end of Soviet Help, due to discovery by Japan.

The Soviets in reality tried to keep the operation covert, and liked to have plausible deniability. This help stopped when the Soviets and the Chinese made a non-aggression pact, in 1940 or 1941. Plans to send tanks, and anti air guns, never materialized, but were on the Soviet drawing board. So don´t be surprised if these options will exist in some future version of the game.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

Yes, this is a rather convoluted issue. We have tried to simulate the Soviets helping China, in the form of volunteers and planes, by making I-16 type 10s producable, at a higher cost, than the cost of the fighter I and fighter II you can research on your own. But I see the paradox, and the reason for not wanting to research stuff you are given for free, albeit at a cost. A new method of simulating this help is in the works, which would entail that at some point China, does not get to get I-16 type 10s, or any other soviet aircraft, because of the end of Soviet Help, due to discovery by Japan.

The Soviets in reality tried to keep the operation covert, and liked to have plausible deniability. This help stopped when the Soviets and the Chinese made a non-aggression pact, in 1940 or 1941. Plans to send tanks, and anti air guns, never materialized, but were on the Soviet drawing board. So don´t be surprised if these options will exist in some future version of the game.

Thanks for clarifying Ernie. Enjoying this scenario immensely.

Giving the Chinese Fighter I initially would already be a good change. Since Fighter II is more or less equal to i-16.

Only played China... But is the PP cost for production increase and techs like occupation theory the same for all nations? or is it different for say example China then Germany. I am asking because a lot of these techs are really completely out of reach of the PP reservoir of China while some of them only have a relative effect to the actual strength/production power of the nation.

One other observation from China is the immense ammounts of supply I could conquer but do not really have a use for. Maybe having the option to let these supply hexes produce PP or have a card to change supplies to PP?

Just some ideas. Keep up the good work!

best wishes,
Vic
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

...is the PP cost for production increase and techs like occupation theory the same for all nations? or is it different for say example China then Germany.

Yes the cost of production increases are different for each nation, and vary with the amount of production you actually have of the effected people. That is German production for Germans, etc. But I am making a new version of GD 1938, as we speak, where the costs of increasing production is going to be lower, pr. production cost. In fact it is going to be done in a new way, and be card driven. Also cities are going to be upgradable, by card, to increase production too.

Occupation theory however is fixed. As it effects conquered people, which really can be zero and increase many times by the time you actually need it. It would be wrong if it could be bought cheaply and then used extensively by a nation like, say, Japan, or Germany.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

One other observation from China is the immense ammounts of supply I could conquer but do not really have a use for. Maybe having the option to let these supply hexes produce PP or have a card to change supplies to PP?

This one I am not so sure about. It could unbalance the game, and I don´t want that...
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Oh, I forgot to mention that the non-strategic researches, those that are SFT oriented, they actually decrease each time someone researches them. So rifle II will be cheaper for China, the longer they wait, if others research it, for example.

But when it comes to China, it really is meant to be that they are backward compared to the other nations. So that stuff isn´t exactly cheap for China, should come as no surprise.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

Oh, I forgot to mention that the non-strategic researches, those that are SFT oriented, they actually decrease each time someone researches them. So rifle II will be cheaper for China, the longer they wait, if others research it, for example.

But when it comes to China, it really is meant to be that they are backward compared to the other nations. So that stuff isn´t exactly cheap for China, should come as no surprise.

True. And agreed. I think its quite close to the mark as it is with China. If anything its probably a bit overpowered in the offensive sense.

All my comments above where just feedback from a gameplay perspective as its nice to have the idea you have a chance to build up a powerhouse given enough time and luck ;)
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

The last of the cities fell in the British Isles Glasgow and Dublin, only the naval guns in Scapa flow remain defiant to the German occupation.

Operations were conducted against Soviet Submarines still sinking German merchant men of the coast of Norway in breach of a ceasefire.

Danzig was captured as elements of the 4th Panzer Army return to the continent to assist against Poland.

The USA are still present with a toe hold in Europe we have politely asked them to leave, we appreciate their loyalty to their ally but they are placing American servicemen in harms way to support a lost cause.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (118.87 KiB) Viewed 112 times

RufusTFirefly

Post by RufusTFirefly »

The short period of war between USA and Japan has ended as Japanese player has already written. War between our nations would have caused too many losses for both sides while we could gain little. USA had lost some capital ships. So it was wise to stop this stupid war. Japan had no losses of ships but here is a screenshot that shows how Japan had paid its part in this conflict.

Attachments
turn23-Jap..lyLosses.jpg
turn23-Jap..lyLosses.jpg (161.14 KiB) Viewed 112 times

Return to “After Action Reports”