Key to amphibious landings

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

dereck

Key to amphibious landings

Post by dereck »

From a book I'm reading:

The key in amphibious landings was not the size of the landing force, but whether the invaders could build up the beachhead faster than the defenders.
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
Peltonx

RE: Key to amphibious landings

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: dereck

From a book I'm reading:

The key in amphibious landings was not the size of the landing force, but whether the invaders could build up the beachhead faster than the defenders.

WitW does a good job with that atleast in my games
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

Its where WitW totally falls flat on its face
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

I know I will regret this, but Smirfy: pray tell us why? What is your issue this time?
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

ORIGINAL: HMSWarspite

I know I will regret this, but Smirfy: pray tell us why? What is your issue this time?
hehe [:)]
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.
KWG

Post by KWG »

As General Forrest said..The firstest with the mostest.
"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Smirfy

Its where WitW totally falls flat on its face

The key for Germany is putting your panzers close to invasion areas and you have allot by 44.

If you post them currectly you have 3-6 able to get to and beach. You can hit allies as soon as they land as per what Rommel wanted to do.

No Hitler to have to answer to.

I base my answer on data, no opinion needed.

I see many weak unsupported landings with little to no air support which I easly push off the beaches.

Historically the allies had more then enough air support, naval support, logistics and ground forces to do whatever landing they attempted, which is the opposite of what I see in game over all.

WitW based on my 7+ games done or on going is standing tall and proud.

Do you have any data to support your opinion?

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

Yeah Ive played enough games now to see how the AI operates. I actually like the game for its many faults and could certainly post much *Data* but that would not do anyone any good whatsoever. Its not a question of having no Hitler to answer to that is a bit of a myth. You accept a reaction like Salerno and even it was not overwelming and Anzio because both were active theatres and reserves were on hand ready and the forces they contested were not huge. In WiTW every single unit is in the anti invasion reserve ready 24/7. There is no *battle of the build up*, there is no *roping off the invasion* both incidently had very little to do with who the Lehr and 12ss were released to, Rommel does not take holidays in game and many survivors at OKW question Runstedts memory as an aside. Absolutely no problem with the Pz reserve 1/ being released 2/ letting the player actually use it against the beachhead no natter how dubious given the command structure and people recolections were in Normandy, its the *mass* of other forces that join the party. Even considering the weekly turns its ludicrous.
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

Ok I'll bite.

You are not being clear again. I presume the issue you have is the too rapid movement of German divisions to contain a beachhead? Do you know that roughly 15 German divisions were in the front line by 12june (aka the turn of the invasion)? And that the allies did not penetrate more than 10 miles inland for about a month barring the Cherbourg peninsular)? . Is it possible that you need to learn to handle the forces you have rather then blame the game as the first response to everything?

Oh, and the German response was muted by Fortitude... So against a player you need to use amphibious HQ to try and fool the enemy. Admittedly you can't vs the AI, but give it a break, it does struggle on other stuff...
Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

Of those 15 how many where already there and how many were close by? how many were shells by the 12th,I love the apart from Cherbourg btw. I said I like the game but would like to see some sensible improvements. Like I said in another thread playing slightly gamey in one game, sensible in another, your wasting your time playing "sensible" against the AI. I would love to see that change.
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

So, what is your definition of 'sensible'? Or Gamey?

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”