Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0)

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Piosmen

RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0)

Post by Piosmen »

Only I have problem with shortages the following resources: Aculon, Nekros Stone, Helium ? I cant see nekros stone and aculon in Sol system and without them i can't build ships and mines. How to start the game properly on this map ?

I have 1.9.5.10 version and play on Extended Universe. I never had a problem with this resources before.

Sorry for my english.
Osito

Post by Osito »

Are you playing the human evolution scenario or the free for all? The free for all is a fair bit easier, and you should not have problems with resources (if I recall correctly). However, apart from caslon, I only put resources in the Sol system that are known to exist to present day humankind. So aculon and nekros stone are not in Sol, although you will have a starting supply. You have to go to other systems to mine them.

Playing the human evolution scenario, resources are very tight at the start. Unless you design all your bases and ships yourself, you will probably run out of resources. The scenario was designed to be like this. It is playable, provided you don't waste your initial supply of the resources that aren't available in the Sol system, and provided you seek out such resources in nearby systems as soon as possible.

Osito

PS I'm sure there's helium in the Sol system (at least in the scenarios). Check out the gas giants, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.
Osito
Premislaus

Post by Premislaus »

Playing the human evolution scenario, resources are very tight at the start. Unless you design all your bases and ships yourself, you will probably run out of resources.

This is not necessary. Obsolete everything and build mining station on Jupiter. After that you can again enable automation.
Piosmen

Post by Piosmen »

Can I play this mod with AI Improvement Mod 1.04 ? Has anyone try this ?
Osito

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: Piosmen

Can I play this mod with AI Improvement Mod 1.04 ? Has anyone try this ?

I think Icemania said the map itself does work, but note that you can't play the scenarios, which means that you can't select a Sol start for humans (if that matters) - unless you're prepared to set it up as a scenario yourself. This is a limitation of DW:U, I'm afraid. There's nothing I can do about it, other than release specific scenarios for each mod (which is far more trouble than it's worth!).

Osito
Osito
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Yeah it works with the AI Improvement Mod but Custom Games only, no Scenarios. Start a New Game ... select "No thanks, I want to set up a Custom Game" ... and apply "Load existing Galaxy as Map" making sure all the Regenerate options are selected (just Regenerate Resources seems to work also). Anything else and it just uses Vanilla.

The good news is that I can play with your Map and what a magnificent Map it is! [&o]
Stardude

Post by Stardude »

Has anyone had luck starting as a pirate faction on this map? I have been trying and it never loads, do I have to use Vanilla map for that?
Osito

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: Stardude

Has anyone had luck starting as a pirate faction on this map? I have been trying and it never loads, do I have to use Vanilla map for that?

You're right, and I can't get it to start in vanilla with a pirate race either, so that probably won't help.

When I created the map, I wasn't personally interested in playing pirates, and I can't remember whether I specifically tested it for pirate play. So it's possible it never worked with pirates, or, alternatively, one of the subsequent patches may have affected it.

Having said that, I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work with pirates. Then again, I could say that about a lot of what happens with map creation.
Osito
Kabbers

Post by Kabbers »

This looks gorgeous Osito, thank you!

I was reading over the weekend how we see less stars - but more clearly - in the winter sky because as citizens of the earth we're all looking "out" or away from the centre of the Milky Way in the winter, and "into" the busy but cloudier centre during the summer months. Not sure I've totally got my head around that :-) so your map will be for me an extended meditation on this cheers !!

http://earthsky.org/space/star-seasonal ... brightness

Kabbers x
Osito

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: Stardude

After looking into this further, it seems you can play as a pirate, as long as you select one of the 'free for all' scenarios, i.e., you have to play the scenario. Obviously, everyone's starting position is fixed, but there are several pirates to choose from.

If you try to load the map into a new (non-scenario) game and play as a pirate faction it simply doesn't work. Perhaps when I originally created the map I selected 'no pirates' and the map somehow remembers that. Or perhaps it's something else. Whatever the situation, it seems the only way to fix the problem would be to redo the map from scratch, and that's not going to happen without a lot of changes to the map editor.

Another workaround is to do this:
- start a game as a non-pirate empire using all the settings you want
- add your pirate faction where you want it.
- save the game in the maps folder (either the default one or the extended one)
- load your save game as a scenario.

Osito
Osito
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

I cant believe im only just now discovering this. Id always wanted to do this but knew it would take an incredible amount of time to complete.

How many stars are on this map??
Blabsawaw22

Post by Blabsawaw22 »

Do what? Isn't this just a new map? are there changes in the game or research? I read the first page but it wasn't exactly clear as it could have been..

So it's a new galaxy back-grounded map.. What else am I missing here?
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Without having tried it, it seems like: A standard DW map sprinkles random stars around with random names (from a list of system names).

This is a fixed layout with stars (and names) giving a 2d representation of the Milky Way. So you will have the Sol system and the closest one is Alpha Centauri.

There was an additional link on how to replace the background map. If you wish to do so.
Blabsawaw22

Post by Blabsawaw22 »

ha.. exactly so you got the same thing I got out of it..

It's just a map that the guy created.. which is cool but ok.. no game changers here.. just confirming..

I probably will try it.. I don't mind a new map..
Osito

Post by Osito »

The point is that it is a map of our Milky Way galaxy - at least the parts of it we know about. So it features several hundred real stars placed in the correct direction from the sun, and at a proportionally correct distance from the sun (although it's not a linear proportionality, as a map like that would only have room for about 20 known star systems). Obviously a lot of star systems (i.e., those far from the sun) were invented, because they haven't been discovered, but every system was hand-placed. Also, our own solar system has all the planets, many planet moons, some dwarf planets and some asteroids. There are about 1350 star systems altogether. The editor will allow you to place more than 1400 stars, but that always results in a game crash within 20-50 years' game time.

Unless you're the sort of person who likes playing humans starting from earth this map will likely be of no interest whatsoever.

Also, and this is the biggest caveat: you cannot play this map with mods, although I did include a version of the map that should work with 'Extended Races'; and you cannot play as pirates for some reason, either.

This map took an extraordinary amount of time to put together, and if I'm honest, it probably wasn't worth the effort, because the inherent limitations of the game (such as not being able to play with mods) makes it all far too restricting. Give it a shot if you like, but you probably won't play it more than once.

Osito
Osito
Blabsawaw22

Post by Blabsawaw22 »

haha ok..

I like the idea of making maps.. but yeah, I bet it consumes far too much time. ha.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

a very good work Osito, I will try it !!!
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

@Osito: I have now read through the whole thread and this time round paid close heed to your directions on integrating your maps into an alternate Theme and thus creating a new "scenario" with the map in said theme. I sent you a PM an hour or so ago asking if you could point me to the thread (mentioned by Roger Bacon) where you explain how to make "scenarios" and I suppose I've probably found it already.

Is the state you described back in 2014/2015 still the case for the latest Steam versions of the game? If so, a real shame that scenario and map creation were not given a bit more useability love. I was considering trying to integrate your maps with Das123's RetreatUE + Bacon Mod + Das Chrome theme. I may still give it a shot, but it sounds pretty tedious.
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Osito hasn't been around for a long time. Maybe someone else can answer?
Osito

Post by Osito »

Hehe, I made a post just the other day ;-)
Osito

Return to “Design and Modding”