RIP, John Hill

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

OldSarge

RIP, John Hill

Post by OldSarge »

John Hill, designer of Squad Leader passed away this week. He is probably best known tp many of us as the designer behind Squad Leader. I spent many a long hour with the original and ASL.

John Hill
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
parusski

RE: RIP, John Hill

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: OldSarge

John Hill, designer of Squad Leader passed away this week. He is probably best known tp many of us as the designer behind Squad Leader. I spent many a long hour with the original and ASL.

John Hill

Hate to here it. Squad Leader was my first, and remains my favorite boardgame. When my sons were 10 and 8 I taught them how to play and now that they are 29 and 27 they both own copies and continue to play. Oh what a lovely game design.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
sonofdavros

Post by sonofdavros »

RIP John. SL still one of my favourite ever games. [:(]
Rodwonder

Post by Rodwonder »

Bless him... I'll never forget opening that box of wonder called Squad Leader so many Christmas's ago. I wish I could have thanked him personally! RIP
Rod T DeMore
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Great, if it isn't musicians and actors dying on me, now my youth's game designers are disappearing.

Sure makes you feel old.

RIP John.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

RIP, and a sad loss
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
wings7

Post by wings7 »

John Hill, without his presence and gaming forethought we wouldn't be here! [&o] Squad Leader and Advanced Squad Leader are the forerunner and design leaders of our hobby! [X(] Rest in Peace dear John!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hill_(game_designer)

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
balto

Post by balto »

At Historicon 2014 he was supporting his latest miniature rules, Across a Deadly Field. I was speaking with him and asking him some questions. He was VERY polite. I did not know until months later that it was John Hill. I could kick myself for not knowing that, I guess I somehow did not look at his name tag or maybe he did not have one, I cannot remember.

Speaking of which his new rules (Across a Deadly Field) are not showing up at the latest miniature conventions. I wonder if it will ever take off now that he is gone. I never looked the new rules over because his prior rules (Johnny Reb 1, 2 and 3) were not as good as several other rule sets out there.

Huge loss, as others have posted - Squad Leader was the mack-daddy of board games back then.
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

RIP John Hill. I had been playing AH's Afrika Korps first, but when I got my copy of of Squad Leader, wargaming (Boardgaming in the old days before PC's) was never the same!
JRR
wings7

Post by wings7 »

Here is a couple links to John's "Across a Deadly Field" miniature rules:

http://www.amazon.com/Across-Deadly-Fie ... 1472802586
http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/A ... 1472802583

Doing a Google search with "Across a Deadly Field" will reveal alot more!

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Sad news indeed, RIP.
A Sharif
jday305

Post by jday305 »

I believe it was 1984 when I got my copy of Squad Leader and fell in love with military strategy games. Although I now only enjoy them on PC, I sometimes miss the play boards and counters. RIP John Hill
RebelYell

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

Kinda sad to realize that as we age, we are going to see more and more obituaries of game designers that I followed from my teenage years [:(] My parents lamented the deaths of people like Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Red Skelton and so forth. I guess my landmarks are going to be game designers, veterans, and Military History authors.

I go back to 1960 with this hobby so I've got a lot of memories and a depressing wealth of talented people to lament as their lives come to an end. One of the darker aspects of growing old.

At least, John's legend will live after him so long as Squad Leader is played and remembered. [&o]
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

Return to “General Discussion”