What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

ggames

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Post by ggames »

The Magic by Rhonda Byrne. Fantastic Book [:)]
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Has anyone read Shadow Wars: Chasing Conflict in an Era of Peace by David Axe? Any good?

ORIGINAL: ggames

The Magic by Rhonda Byrne. Fantastic Book [:)]
Hmm...
No matter who you are, no matter where you are, no matter what your current circumstances, The Magic is going to change your entire life!
So did the book change your life? How much?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
parusski

Post by parusski »

Currently listening to this audiobook:

Japanese Destroyer Captain: Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, Midway - The Great Naval Battles Seen Through Japanese Eyes, Captain Tameichi Hara
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Currently reading "Den Store Morgan Kane Boka" (The great book about Morgan Kane).
Morgan Kane is one of the most selling "book"-series in Norway, and was sold over large parts of Europe in the 70s-80s.
Morgan Kane throughout the books goes from bandido, to Texas Ranger to US Marshal, and the books are much like the 1800s Dime Novels, and was a must for a boy growing up in the 70s to late 80s here in Norway.

"Den Store Morgan Kane Boka" has gathered alot of stuff about the author, about the controversy the books made when they appeared (sexist, violent, alchol abuse and what not), about the places Morgan Kane went to, about his women, his guns and his alchol.

Not a great book that will go down in history, but a very nice trip down memory lane for someone like me (and yes, I still have all the Morgan Kane books [:D])
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Ghost by John Ringo
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

Finished Barber, Noel, The War of the Running Dogs: Malaya 1948-1960 - this one gives a good introduction into the topic, the Communist insurrection. Written obviously from a British perspective, focus is on British High Command and ist decisions about how to run the whole thing, stories about some European planters, as well as actions by the Communists. You won't get much - almost nothing - about the activities by British and Comonwealth Forces, but if interested in this, there is The Malayan Emergency & Indonesian Confrontation available, by Robert Jackson.

Also read Operation Most Secret: SOE: The Malayan Theatre by Ian Trenowden, about operations during the Japanese occupation in Malaya. But the focus of the book is more on the Ceylon HQ of SOE's Force 136 which was responsible for Malayan operations, and on RN and Dutch submarine support operations. A good book, nonetheless.

Now reading Jungle Soldier: The True Story of Freddy Spencer Chapman by Brian Moynahan. Chapman was active in Malaya during the Japanese occupation, in one of the few "stay-behind-parties". The book is his biography, you read about his whole life, his journeys to Greenland and Tibet, among others, included.

Some note about the book mentioned further above, The Fall of the Philippines, where I mentioned the awful e-book formatting; if interested, avoid the "Green Books" Version by the Center of Military History. Instead, go for the Pickle Partners Publishing version; an e-book, formatted as it should be.
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
comte

Post by comte »

I am currently reading Ostkrieg: Hitler's War of Extermination in the East by Stephen G. Fritz
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Aces8

I am currently reading Ostkrieg: Hitler's War of Extermination in the East by Stephen G. Fritz
warspite1

Great book [:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
wodin

Post by wodin »

I've just blitzed through the first four Sven Hassel novels that I got from Amazon for just £12.95. Great fun. Just ordered the next three.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

Ghost by John Ringo
I expected by now someone would be screaming "OH JOHN RINGO NO". Apparently this book is less known in this forum, so I tell briefly about it. Former Navy SEAL, discharged from service, witnesses kidnapping. He goes after the kidnappers, finds out such crap has happened whole lot, kills whole lot of terrorists including Osama Bin Laden, and has sex with more women than James Bond and in such ways it makes some readers scream "OH JOHN RINGO NO!" And president of USA says: "I want shake his hand." That just in the first book alone in some 5 books long series.

Ringo has explained it that he had the story in his head and he wrote it just to get it out of his head so he can concentrate on those stories he actually gets paid. He didn't want that novel be published becouse he deemed it bad. But to his surprise people were interested about samples he had posted in forum and Jim Baen asked it for publication.

MekWars
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

I was wondering if anyone has read Panzer Operations by Hermann Hoth. If so how was it and is it worth picking up?
berto

Post by berto »

After just finishing The Age of Louis XIV, taking a break from The Story of Civilization, I am currently reading: 1948: A History of the First Arab-Israeli War, by Benny Morris, Yale University Press, 2008.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
wodin

Post by wodin »

Have Panzer Operations by Raus which is excellent..haven't read Hoths book though.
ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

I was wondering if anyone has read Panzer Operations by Hermann Hoth. If so how was it and is it worth picking up?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Chamberlain and Appeasement (British Policy and the Coming of the Second World War) by R.A.C Parker is the next cab off the rank just as soon as I have finished Malta.
warspite1

Got to say, this is a great book [:)]

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I read this in Ghost by John Ringo:
"Tampons and pads are some of the best bandages around, Mike replied. "If the hole is big, like from a billet exit wound, you just stick a tampon in and you're good."
Any truth in there? Are those really used for such?

MekWars
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

Outlaws by Jason Vail
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
rustinpeace91

Post by rustinpeace91 »

American Sniper. I would not call it a "good" book by any stretch of the imagination. It's pretty poorly written, and to be honest I don't think Chris Kyle is a very good person or a reliable source of information just based on what he himself presents as his take on things, but I'll be damned if it's not an extremely entertaining read. I really like when he goes into detail about weapons and gear assigned to various US military units.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

Just finished Sharpe's Trafalgar and decided to take a break from the series so I don't get burnt out.

I have the Complete Lovecraft Collection on my Kindle that I'm working my way through and decided to read some of those. Maybe not the best thing to read before bed but it's certainly interesting stuff. I'm an aspiring writer and find his writing style fascinating, it has a dream-like quality that I've never seen anywhere else.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

I read this in Ghost by John Ringo:
"Tampons and pads are some of the best bandages around, Mike replied. "If the hole is big, like from a billet exit wound, you just stick a tampon in and you're good."
Any truth in there? Are those really used for such?
Why nobody here has answered this yet? From another forum:
OK sanitary napkins belive it or not were originally used in WWI as field dressing for wounded soldiers...mostly due to self adhesive that came with it and because it was individually packed in its own sterile pack which endeared it to field medics.
and later on women had used them after successful campaign to market the former field dressing as such...
company in question? kotex

yes its true

MekWars
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

I'm on Book 4 of Evan Currie's "Silver Wings" series. If you like Honor Harrington, you'll enjoy this series.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1275 ... lver-wings

Fairly new author and there are the usual minor glitches that indicate a need for professional editing, but nothing that bothered me or interfered with my enjoyment of the story. Some original ideas on space combat and weapons as well as an interesting "alien" opponent (an alliance/empire of numerous races with their own political intrigues and diverse weaponry and science). Unique starship construction techniques. Interesting weapons and equipment.

Highly recommended!
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

Return to “General Discussion”