INVADE? Need advice....

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

marion61

RE: INVADE? Need advice....

Post by marion61 »

*Scratchs Head...where did all the Germans go on the west coast? Probably building a line above Florence. That's going to be rough country.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Baelfiin

Revised landing

Pelton does this look like what you meant?

If you drop a full division 1 hex from E lines are cut.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

End of turn 28

Supply issues and bad weather bringing allied drive to Berlin to a halt.
I don't have the juice to push north, air force is flying at long range as it is. Once I get some freight built up, ports and rails repaired, I think I can contemplate pushing north again.
The only other question is, do I push north before or after an invasion somewhere else?
The way I understand it, I can attack into one garrison area and that will eliminate the garrison requirements for that area only. When I get into a second garrison area then the requirements go away across the entire map.

Attachments
InvasionT28End.jpg
InvasionT28End.jpg (522.26 KiB) Viewed 40 times
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

Very interesting and nice screenshots thank you.

Michel.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
paullus99

Post by paullus99 »

Don't feel like you need to win the war in Italy - it isn't going to happen. Bleed the Germans for all you can & push without taking too many losses....you need to refocus your preparations on France & how you are going to pull off the invasion.

This is the take to take a step back and look at the big picture - it isn't easy, because we all want that easy button and just pounce, but if you concentrate and start really focusing on the air war and getting a plan together for France, you'll be better served down the line.

Trust me, I hate waiting - but I'm learning a lot of patience - and it is starting to pay off in spades.
Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

ORIGINAL: paullus99

Don't feel like you need to win the war in Italy - it isn't going to happen. Bleed the Germans for all you can & push without taking too many losses....you need to refocus your preparations on France & how you are going to pull off the invasion.

This is the take to take a step back and look at the big picture - it isn't easy, because we all want that easy button and just pounce, but if you concentrate and start really focusing on the air war and getting a plan together for France, you'll be better served down the line.

Trust me, I hate waiting - but I'm learning a lot of patience - and it is starting to pay off in spades.
I agree

Not only are my supplies bad in Italy but the weather is bad as well.

My current plan is an invasion of northern France followed a couple of turns later by Italian offensive and landing in southern France.

If I stick to one garrison area at first, that will force the Germans to keep the garrison levels up, somewhat limiting the troops the Germans can put against my beaches.

The timing could be tricky though depending on how things go.
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

The manpower losses you have inflicted he simply can not recover from.

I would turn all the supplies one at 2 in Italy across the board other then your best Corp. It get all replacements and supplies.

His lines are really weak, keep pounding or pushing with that 1 Corp.

Most of his replacements are going into the units coming back from the dead.

Sure you can not win the war from Italy, but you will keep his manpower drained, so when you do invade he will fold.

Hes down as long as you keep kicking his manpower pool and armament pool will remain drained, if you stop pushing it will recover and things could get interesting.

Good luck on your invasion plans.

The current logistic system rewards a small-quality force not a large blob
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

I am still learning, and apologize that my graphics are not up to Baelfin, but hopefully you get the idea....Stars are Para Divs

The idea on this set-up is to:
--Isolate Brest, and position Amphibs to help repair Brest
--Cut rail lines into Brittany
--Position units around St. Brueic to grab/repair that port if possible; either way, those landings will help prevent panzers from driving deep into Brittany
--You can pull 2 Amphibs immediately with this set-up, and once Brest is repaired you can probably pull more

If things go bad, you can evacuate the beach around Lorient, once you are firmly ashore to the north, since the point of cutting the lines will be served by then

Attachments
Brittany.jpg
Brittany.jpg (399.69 KiB) Viewed 40 times
marion61

Post by marion61 »

This is my two cents. You spread your forces out like that and you will get chopped to pieces. You won't have enough support from the other beaches and the first one to die would be the one around Lorient. He still has a potent pz force and you would be overwhelmed at Lorient and St. Buirec.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Plus a lot relies on the Paras, sometimes they dont do exactly what you plan.
They are better at close support of a landing rather than being precision weapon.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

End of Allied 29

Slacking on updates, not a lot of action.

Redeploying and resting. Plus trying to get ports and rail online and a supply stash build up.

Air war in the north is going ok considering the weather.

Attachments
InvasionT29End.jpg
InvasionT29End.jpg (621.81 KiB) Viewed 40 times
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

Seems to be divided opinion on invading Brest area.

So sometime in spring of '44 I will have 3 operations going. Ideally they need to compliment each other.
Im looking at 3 phases. A landing, then breakout and pursuit, and then Occupation.

This is option one

Attachments
OptionOne.jpg
OptionOne.jpg (598.79 KiB) Viewed 40 times
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

Option Two

I think I like landing closer to Berlin

Attachments
OptionTwo.jpg
OptionTwo.jpg (594.34 KiB) Viewed 40 times
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

It is becoming increasingly hard to not attack north farther into Italy.

In fact my tabletop war gaming crew would be super surprised to see me take a turn off, let alone two.

I take out my frustrations on another part of the pocket, but I don't count mopping up as a REAL attack =p

After finishing up everything in the turn I notice that there were German supply flights into the mountains.
Bombers dropping supply into mountain hexes didn't get much through but maybe it will help them.

Attachments
InvasionT30End.jpg
InvasionT30End.jpg (550.31 KiB) Viewed 40 times
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

I've been seriously thinking of trying to invade into Netherlands. The rivers make a nice barrier to German counter attacks, and interdiction/para zoc should prevent them from getting over the major river.

There are good ports, lots of air, and its also close to a lot of airbases in England.

Of course it will be difficult to get over the river as well, but who says I don't just invade France later with a good sized German army forced to guard against Netherlands?

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (204.32 KiB) Viewed 40 times
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

Liquidsky

I was just looking at that area. I don't think you can drop those paratroopers there on the first turn though.
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

Air battles picking up over northern Italy on turn 30.

I discovered a lot of Luftwaffe within FB range and decided to punish them.

Attachments
AirbattleItaly30.jpg
AirbattleItaly30.jpg (509.14 KiB) Viewed 40 times
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
marion61

Post by marion61 »

I concur with Plan 2. Just dont launch that second invasion until you are able to move your TF's back to port. Otherwise you will stall out at both places due to lack of eveeything.
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

ORIGINAL: meklore61

I concur with Plan 2. Just dont launch that second invasion until you are able to move your TF's back to port. Otherwise you will stall out at both places due to lack of eveeything.
Ahhh someone leaked the invasion plans to the Corsican Garrison =p
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
marion61

Post by marion61 »

I thought I was in charge of the southern invasion? I promised not to slap anymore Privates.

Return to “After Action Reports”