Radar Line of Sight

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Primarchx

Radar Line of Sight

Post by Primarchx »

I know the earth's curvature and local topography interfere with radar line of sight in Command. Long ago I requested a tool to help with this, but understand that it's not a simple thing.

- For example, if I have a ship with a 100' mast, what's its' radar LOS for targets at 10k feet?

For now I've been using the tool at http://www.mar-it.de/Radar/Horcalc/horcalc.htm for basic use. I use a mast height of 30m because it likely gives me a bit of an outside range but is close for 'shorter' masts, too. Of course I can only use it as a guide, as I don't know how LOS is derived in Command. It's also not very helpful when there's intervening terrain. Measuring terrain-caused radar shadow in the game is very challenging and guestimation at its' finest - about the only hard rule is that if you can detect an emitter is either already has, or very soon will, detect you (EW and signature change this, of course).

Can anyone shed some light on radar horizon in Command?
- Any particular figures of merit we can be made aware of?
- Do varying radars have different radar horizon based on their wavelength and/or ability to better process clutter? Is this what OTH radar represents?
- Do ships possess varying mast heights based on class and if so, how do you find out what it is?
- Does the radar horizon calc I have about a good 'close enough' tool for Radar LOS?
- How does OTH ELINT work in Command with respect to detection range vs OTH and non-OTH radar?

Thanks!
mikmykWS

RE: Radar Line of Sight

Post by mikmykWS »

Come on....

We'll approach this when we have more time. We're pretty busy working on the game right now.

Thanks!

Mike

Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

I understand it's a complex issue. No hurry, just wanted to get some feedback on best practices we can use.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Its not complex its just work that takes time. If there is an urgent issue behind this no problem we'll spend the time. If its just comparing the tool it will have to wait. Sorry. Let us know. Thanks

Mike

Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

Understood. It can wait. D has a way of digging these gems up for review now and again! [:)]
RobotCriminal

Post by RobotCriminal »

e: nm, I think it was basically answered by the OP
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: Primarchx

Understood. It can wait. D has a way of digging these gems up for review now and again! [:)]

Appreciate it. Sure. Thanks!

Mike

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”