Unit details explaination

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Numdydar

Unit details explaination

Post by Numdydar »

Since I started back into the game, I am really having a hard time understanding the units. So I thought I would post my attempt to figure this out graphicly by starting with a typical HQ unit to see if I have my understanding is correct. [:)] Also it may help others to understand all the detail correctly too.

Attachments
WitEUnitDetails.jpg
WitEUnitDetails.jpg (108.91 KiB) Viewed 99 times
RealChuckB

RE: Unit details explaination

Post by RealChuckB »

Hi, I'm by no meany an expert (still learning to do baby steps) but I'm quite sure that

(1) The number after the bent arrow (100 in this case) is the percentage of MP available (this unit was not moved yet - top right corner), so it would make sense that 100% of the MP are left; and
(2) The command points used/available (right side, next to tank icon) don't have anything to do with if a unit is motorized or not but simply shows the CP used/max for the respective HQ for all type of attached CUs

Chuck
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

On number 1 you are correct so thanks for the help. Which is why I posted this here [:)]

On number 2, the tank icon represents the unit is inherently motorized, i.e. not a non-motorized unit that just had trucks added. At least that was my understanding. But I am certainly willing to be corrected [:)]
morvael

Post by morvael »

Bent arrow us the number of strategic movement points (used to load, unload and travel via train or ship).
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

LOL. Well we were both wrong then [:D]

What about the tank icon? Is it just a pretty picture or does it actually mean something?
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

What about the tank icon? Is it just a pretty picture or does it actually mean something?

Just means 'Command Points' as far as I know.

You missed something. The two small triangles in the top corners.

The one on the left is the 'Soft Factor'

From the manual

'Movement status is in the small triangle located in the right corner of the unit counter. If a unit has not moved, then it will be a white triangle with a smaller black triangle inside. If the unit has moved and still has movement points remaining, there will just be a white triangle. If the unit has expended all of its movement points, there will be nothing in the right corner.'

Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Good catch. I left those out as they are explained in the manual AND the manual tells you where they are as you point out above. Unlike a lot of the other information. Plus I was running out of room too [:)]
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

Just means 'Command Points' as far as I know.

So the tank icon is supposed to just represent Command Points? Yes that is soooo obvious to everyone isn't it, not [:D]

How about just CmD Pts instead of the tank icon? There could be dozens of ways this could have been made much clearer than using a tank symbol.

Of course any symbol could have been used as long as it was explained somewhere in the manual. You know like "The tank symbol on a HQ counter in the detail unit screen shown on the right when a HQ is selected represent the Command points Used:Maximum for that HQ." Would that have been so hard to add?

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”